I miss the Big East basketball | Syracusefan.com

I miss the Big East basketball

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
You know where men could be men and play like it. Now we are in the sisters of my saint marys choir league where ticky tack fouls is the norm unless its against Rak.

Im not a fan of the ACC , the announcers, the location of the conference tourney, the way the games are called, the lack of rivalries, the calls that favor Duke and UNC at home, just the way of life is not like the rough and rugged Big East.

Listening to the announcers for games kills it for me. They dont know the players names, they show favortism towards teams, just all in general very bad.

We gone :(

I enjoy some of the new match ups, but deep down I couldn't agree more. Thank suck@ss college football. I look at what is left of the Big East in basketball and it is still very much worth watching, and I'd much rather have those old rivalries.

You know where men could be men and play like it. Now we are in the sisters of my saint marys choir league where ticky tack fouls is the norm unless its against Rak.

Im not a fan of the ACC , the announcers, the location of the conference tourney, the way the games are called, the lack of rivalries, the calls that favor Duke and UNC at home, just the way of life is not like the rough and rugged Big East.

Listening to the announcers for games kills it for me. They dont know the players names, they show favortism towards teams, just all in general very bad.

I hope at some point we'll have a tournament run like in 2013 where we beat many of the teams in the Big 12, except I visualize beating many of our old rivals in the Big East on the way to the championship.

I am holding out hope that in 10 years we will enjoy ACC games as much if not more than the old BE. Its different no doubt, we are still interlopers no doubt and its never going to be as bad a$$ as the BE was but it can be the best east coast conference ever as things settle out. I'm optimistic that its more or less us holding onto the old days in some sense and as we make ACC memories like Duke n the Dome last year we will become more engrained and involved even subconsciously. I mean right now I say we are in the ACC but my brain probably still registers BE. The ACC has 4 premier programs another trying to become that with a great young coach and then five teams in ND, PITT, Wake, NCST, Miami that have the makings of being able to at least compete to be NCAA squads year in and year out.

I'm already converted ... we still play some of the old teams (Nova, St. Johns), and whenever I wax nostalgic about the OBE I just read a few articles about Seton Hall or watch a replay of SU-v-Pitt (any year will do). Give me finesse over rock-fight/thug-ball anytime.

Which version of the Big East do you miss? Because we play a lot of them now.

I don't think you should beat around the bush, tell us how you really feel :blah: :)

Which version of the Big East do you miss? Because we play a lot of them now.

That game against Louisville should featured some good old banging out there. I thought Rak was going to rip off the arm (not intentionally) of that walk-on when they tangled going for a loose ball right in front of the Louisville bench.

That game against Louisville should featured some good old banging out there. I thought Rak was going to rip off the arm (not intentionally) of that walk-on when they tangled going for a loose ball right in front of the Louisville bench.

I know! That poor guy was laying on the ground after that play with a What did I get myself into look on his face.

andyw715 said:
If the ACC was really serious they'd match us up with Duke twice a year permanently, screw BC... When you sell 35446 tix to #2 Cuse vs #17 Duke and then do the same a year later via Cuse (no post season) v #4 Duke, you know you have something special.

It would be awesome but Duke and UNC are important. I think Syracuse / Pitt / Notre Dame and Louisville have a nice 4 way rivalry going because those are teams that I REALLY don't care for.

I don't mind the BC because it should give us a breather most years.

It would be awesome but Duke and UNC are important. I think Syracuse / Pitt / Notre Dame and Louisville have a nice 4 way rivalry going because those are teams that I REALLY don't care for.

I don't mind the BC because it should give us a breather most years.
Geography aside, how is BC is our #1 "permanent partner" in the ACC? We barely cared about them when they were in the Big East.

Besides Duke, UNC, Pitt, ND & Louisville we're stuck playing teams that don't strike any emotional chords and probably never will (including UVA, no matter how good they are).
That takes some of the fun out of the season.
All we can do is make the best of it and just pound them as often as possible.

Col. Bleep said:
Geography aside, how is BC is our #1 "permanent partner" in the ACC? We barely cared about them when they were in the Big East.

Besides Duke, UNC, Pitt, ND & Louisville we're stuck playing teams that don't strike any emotional chords and probably never will (including UVA, no matter how good they are).
That takes some of the fun out of the season.
All we can do is make the best of it and just pound them as often as possible.

Disagree on Virginia.

I dunno. In the BE I got excited for Pitt, Louisville, Notre Dame and of course UConn, Georgetown and Nova (in the Wright era) along with whatever random team was good that year.

Now I trade UConn for Duke and UNC. We still get to play two of Nova/Hoyas/SJU.

I doubt I'll ever care about FSU, Georgia Tech, VT or Clemson. Wake and NC State fill in just fine for a SH, Marquette or Providence.

I miss the Big East as well, but I'm enjoying the ACC just fine.

I still watch more Big East BBall than ACC. Even with the big dogs gone, still an excellent conf. Not as strong as ACC at the top but from top to bottom a better conf.

It is just not the same feel at all. MSG and all those lights and hustle and bustle to The Greensboro coliseum and a bunch of Southerners screaming travel every 10 seconds.I cant wait until next year in DC because I do like going there. Also if the would bring in UCONN the league would have a much more Northeastern feel. I just can't get a rival feel out of Clemson and wake Forrest. And how can we have a 15 team league? It makes no sense.

I've been enjoying the ACC. Greensboro sort of sucks (as Gertrude Stein once famously said: "There's no there there."), but even the ACC is apparently going to dump it for its tourney. I've enjoyed visiting Chapel Hill, Charlottesville and Durham -- which are far better venuest than Providence, Newark and New Brunswick. And I look forward to visiting Clemson, FSU and Wake Forest. And since most folks (including me) watch most away games on tv, it really doesn't matter how far away they're being played.

We get to play: Duke, Louisville, North Carolina, Pitt, Virginia, Notre Dame. We now schedule ooc, St. John's, Villanova, and next year Georgetown. Not bad.

I miss the old Big Five in Philly. The late 1960's, early '70's games at the Palestra were absolutely incredible. The Big East was a great run. It's over. If the NCAA, or better yet, it's successor, can figure out how to undo one and done, then what's ahead for us in the ACC is very promising. I am already developing a healthy dislike for NC State. I love that Louisville is now in the league, and hope we can get a home-at-home every year. Considering what might have happened (see UConn), we are really lucky to be where we are.

Nostalgia is great because that means we have some great memories to look back on, but nostalgia also has a way of diminishing the present. Given how things have shaken out, we couldn't be in a better situation than the one we are in.

Louisville needs to be our 2x per year rival. Dump Pitt or BC or both. There could be a nice quartet with UL-SU and UNC-Duke - those are the perennial powers in the conference with the most pedigree and most likely to be nationally relevant in any given year between 1980 and 2030.

Houstoncuse, Those 30 minute flights to Pitt and BC are nice for the team though. Tobacco road teams get to sleep in their own beds many away games so I like the idea of keeping those games. I would hate to get into a situation like West Virginia where you are making cross country flights every away game. Huge disadvantage IMO.
We get to play: Duke, Louisville, North Carolina, Pitt, Virginia, Notre Dame. We now schedule ooc, St. John's, Villanova, and next year Georgetown. Not bad.

I miss the old Big Five in Philly. The late 1960's, early '70's games at the Palestra were absolutely incredible. The Big East was a great run. It's over. If the NCAA, or better yet, it's successor, can figure out how to undo one and done, then what's ahead for us in the ACC is very promising. I am already developing a healthy dislike for NC State. I love that Louisville is now in the league, and hope we can get a home-at-home every year. Considering what might have happened (see UConn), we are really lucky to be where we are.

Nostalgia is great because that means we have some great memories to look back on, but nostalgia also has a way of diminishing the present. Given how things have shaken out, we couldn't be in a better situation than the one we are in.
If you know enough NC State fans you will develop a healthy dislike for them.

I am holding out hope that in 10 years we will enjoy ACC games as much if not more than the old BE. Its different no doubt, we are still interlopers no doubt and its never going to be as bad a$$ as the BE was but it can be the best east coast conference ever as things settle out. I'm optimistic that its more or less us holding onto the old days in some sense and as we make ACC memories like Duke n the Dome last year we will become more engrained and involved even subconsciously. I mean right now I say we are in the ACC but my brain probably still registers BE. The ACC has 4 premier programs another trying to become that with a great young coach and then five teams in ND, PITT, Wake, NCST, Miami that have the makings of being able to at least compete to be NCAA squads year in and year out.
I'm glad that most of the ACC games aren't being called like a Pitt home game. I hpe it won't take 10 years until we get beyond the interloper status.

We are still playing Boston College, Pitt, Louisville, Notre Dame each year.
We will play two of Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's each year.
We lost UConn, Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, Cincinnati, USF, Rutgers, West Virginia.
North Carolina = UConn
Virginia > West Virginia
NC State = Cincinnati
Virginia Tech = Seton Hall
Miami = Providence
Wake > DePaul
Florida State > USF
Clemson > Rutgers

That isn't even counting Duke. By playing Gtown, Nova, St. John's we are taking care of the valuable BE teams for SU.

Louisville needs to be our 2x per year rival. Dump Pitt or BC or both. There could be a nice quartet with UL-SU and UNC-Duke - those are the perennial powers in the conference with the most pedigree and most likely to be nationally relevant in any given year between 1980 and 2030.
As much as I would like two BC games a year for auto wins I would switch SU-BC and Pitt-UL to SU-UL and Pitt-BC and make the Wednesday of rivalry week SU-UL at 7 and Duke-UNC at 9 and the last game of the season return games from the rivalry week games.

The Big East, for all the fun it once was, had degenerated into thug ball. Power and muscle had supplanted speed and skill long ago. It was fun for a time, but it had grown warts and was no longer interesting to watch. Intense? Certainly, but far too frustrating.

Last edited:
Quite honestly, this whole basketball fandom thing is a huge luxury. I have a great team to root for and they play "the best of the best of the best" and hold their own & sometimes excel. I also have an impressive horde of comrades in arms that show up to support the program wherever they play. All of you who show up at the dome every game impress the nation. Even professional teams have to be jealous of the program's success.

Personally, I don't really care who we play. Just bring them on and keep bringing in superbly talented kids to put on shows for us. I don't really think there's a wrong answer between our history with the Big East and transition to the ACC with programs we've been playing for many decades. We're more stable now and have a strong tradition with most of the schools on the east coast and will keep building it. We're #6 in all time win percentage and play in a league with two others in the top ten. I've loved being along for the ride...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom