I need a little help with the "play by play" pages | Syracusefan.com

I need a little help with the "play by play" pages

SWC75

Bored Historian
I do "Winning Plays" base don the play by play pages on the SU website:
Syracuse University Athletics - Football vs LSU on 9/23/2017

or ESPN:
Syracuse vs. LSU - Play-By-Play - September 23, 2017 - ESPN

I spotted some things that don't seem to make much sense to me.

- On SU's second possession and first actual drive with 2nd and 15 at the LSU 22, it says on both PBP pages that SU was penalized 4 yards for a false start. The yardage for the next play is 2nd and 19 from the LSU 26.

- On SU's next possession they are epanlized for delay of game on 4th and 1 at the SU 43. The ball is moved 4 yards to the SU 39. It is now 4th and 5.

Is there any circumstance where a false start or delay of game produces a 4 yard penalty except when "halfway to the goal" is involved? Or did the refs screw up the walk-off and the play by play recorder had no choise but to record what the refs actually walked off, rather than what they should have walked off?

- Both PBP pages describe the play where Dungey slid and got his bell wrung the same way. It was SU's first possession of the 4th quarter , 2nd and 9 at the SU 37. It says that Zach Mahoney came in for Dungey. SU called a time out and the next actual play was an incomplete Dungey pass on 3rd and 19 at SU 27. I could have sworn that SU ran a running play when Mahoney was in there. I won't ask if I'm nuts but was aI wrong?

I think Mahoney almost threw an INT on his only play in there if I remember correctly. LSU guy bobbled and dropped it.

Maybe the PBP guy recorded that as the Dungey incomplete in in the thread. The box score doesn't show a Mahoney pass attempt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom