I never heard... | Syracusefan.com

I never heard...

Cuse_1999

2nd String
Did Rutgers have some kind of streak against beating top 10 teams at home? Did Rutgers score any points in the paint? Never heard the announcers touch on this

Did Rutgers have some kind of streak against beating top 10 teams at home? Did Rutgers score any points in the paint? Never heard the announcers touch on this

I'll bite...didn't particularly care for the commentary today either. Wasn't good...wasn't terrible either. The reason that they kept making comments about Rutgers scoring points in the paint was because THEY COMPLETELY DOMINATED US IN THE PAINT ALL GAME LONG. Hard to not comment on something that is happening for the entire game. Just sayin...

Yeah, Biritua Cooley'd us inside today - especially in the first half.

I'll bite...didn't particularly care for the commentary today either. Wasn't good...wasn't terrible either. The reason that they kept making comments about Rutgers scoring points in the paint was because THEY COMPLETELY DOMINATED US IN THE PAINT ALL GAME LONG. Hard to not comment on something that is happening for the entire game. Just sayin...
The problem I had was that they kept nattering on about it and forgot to call the game in progress.

And Doris made the comment that Dion should have kicked to Scoop in the corner instead of missing that lay-up on the drive.

I'm as frustrated as anyone with Dion's recent inability to finish, but how is a Scoop 21-footer a higher percentage shot than a Dion lay-up?

They dominated us to a draw.

And Doris made the comment that Dion should have kicked to Scoop in the corner instead of missing that lay-up on the drive.

I'm as frustrated as anyone with Dion's recent inability to finish, but how is a Scoop 21-footer a higher percentage shot than a Dion lay-up?

Scoop was wide open on the wing for a three...not a defender within 8 feet of him. Rather than passing it to Scoop, as he should have, he selfishly takes the ball himself into a clusterf!!k of Rutgers defenders (gets mugged) and takes a terrible shot. You're acting like Waiters missed an uncontested lay-up or something.

Scoop was wide open on the wing for a three...not a defender within 8 feet of him. Rather than passing it to Scoop, as he should have, he selfishly takes the ball himself into a clusterf!!k of Rutgers defenders (gets mugged) and takes a terrible shot. You're acting like Waiters missed an uncontested lay-up or something.

Nah, it was another of his high degree of difficulty lay-ups. And Scoop was wide open. Even so, how many times does Scoop knock down an open three? 3 of 10? Probably no more often than Dion converts his shot.

I didn't think the decision was as selfish as Doris made it out to be (and believe me, I could point out dozens of selfish decisions made by Dion in the past ten games),

Because Scoop was wide open without a defender anywhere near him while Dion forced his supposed lay-up amongst three defenders?

Not saying she should have made that big a deal out of it, but you calling her on it seems odd considering the biggest shot of the game was probably Scoop's uncontested three with a little more than a minute to play.

Cheers,
Neil

Because Scoop was wide open without a defender anywhere near him while Dion forced his supposed lay-up amongst three defenders?

Not saying she should have made that big a deal out of it, but you calling her on it seems odd considering the biggest shot of the game was probably Scoop's uncontested three with a little more than a minute to play.

Cheers,
Neil

The late three was a great shot. Doesn't change the fact that any three Scoop takes is a relatively low-percentage shot - probably no more likely to go in than someone else's contested layup attempt is to go in or result in a pair of free throws.

What I did hear (I think) was that Dion is NOT Scoops cousin. Despite what is reported in the PS, they are tight but not related. HUH? there was another comment by Doris that when I heard it, I went "ah no, that ain't right" but no I can't think of what it was. It was early in the game. I'll have to watch my tape to see what it was.

The late three was a great shot. Doesn't change the fact that any three Scoop takes is a relatively low-percentage shot - probably no more likely to go in than someone else's contested layup attempt is to go in or result in a pair of free throws.

Worth noting...over the past 5 games, Scoop has shot 50% (7-14) from 3 point range. Also, I wish there was a stat about his 3 point shooting percentage in the last 5 minutes of the second half. He seems to make them when they count the most.

What I did hear (I think) was that Dion is NOT Scoops cousin. Despite what is reported in the PS, they are tight but not related. HUH? there was another comment by Doris that when I heard it, I went "ah no, that ain't right" but no I can't think of what it was. It was early in the game. I'll have to watch my tape to see what it was.

This was reported in the most recent edition of SI, with JLin on the cover. Scoop and Dion are longtime friends but not cousins.

Worth noting...over the past 5 games, Scoop has shot 50% (7-14) from 3 point range. Also, I wish there was a stat about his 3 point shooting percentage in the last 5 minutes of the second half. He seems to make them when they count the most.

He does seem to make them when we really need them. Did the same thing in the first half today. And almost every time we give up a run to start the game, Scoop is the guy hitting a three to get us on the board.

Dion 1 on 3 is not part of anyone's offence! Scoop with a hot hand in the corner is!

I'm sorry you brought this twice and it didn't make any more sense the second time. Scoop had just buried two threes.

Even so, how many times does Scoop knock down an open three? 3 of 10? Probably no more often than Dion converts his shot.

Even if Dion makes his shot slightly more often, it's still better for scoop to have taken the shot because he gets 50% more points if he makes it. That was a bad play by Dion in my book.

Even if Dion makes his shot slightly more often, it's still better for scoop to have taken the shot because he gets 50% more points if he makes it. That was a bad play by Dion in my book.

I get that. I won't argue that it was a great choice by Dion. But it wasn't nearly as black-and-white as Doris made it out to be.

I'm not including Doris in this post...I think most of us who have watched all of our games feel that plays like that at this point in the season are not a positive. Mainly because they are part of a noticeable trend in Dion's game the past couple of weeks.

Missed layups and more selfish play. A couple of months ago I probably would have felt differently?

I think they may have confused Rick Jackson and Scoop. I remember an article quoting Scoop's Grama saying that everybody thought Rick and Scoop were related because they were always together and she always considered Rick another grandchild but that wasn't the case. That was the first I heard that Scoop and Dion weren't related and I think I want another opinion before I take it as fact.

I think they may have confused Rick Jackson and Scoop. I remember an article quoting Scoop's Grama saying that everybody thought Rick and Scoop were related because they were always together and she always considered Rick another grandchild but that wasn't the case. That was the first I heard that Scoop and Dion weren't related and I think I want another opinion before I take it as fact.

Yea doesn't make sense. During Dion's recruitment it was stated he was Scoop's cousin.

Still, they're cousins,
Identical cousins and you'll find,
They laugh alike, they walk alike,
At times they even talk alike —
You can lose your mind,
When cousins are two of a kind.

With his recent hot shooting from 3, Scoop is now at 36% (.356) on the season. BT is shooting .361 and KJ .371. Those are the three highest % for the 'core' of the lineup. For all intensive purposes, Scoop is as good a 3pt shooter as anyone on the team this season.

With his recent hot shooting from 3, Scoop is now at 36% (.356) on the season. BT is shooting .361 and KJ .371. Those are the three highest % for the 'core' of the lineup. For all intensive purposes, Scoop is as good a 3pt shooter as anyone on the team this season.

Is Dion .356 for left-handed layups in traffic?

Is Dion .356 for left-handed layups in traffic?

Not sure I understand. 3's are worth more than 2's so you can shoot a lower % and still have it be equivalent to a better % 2pt shot over time. Dion shoots 54% on his 2's. Do the math, Scoop shooting 36% and taking a 3pt shot is no worse than Dion taking a 2 pt shot at his % clip, if they both shoot ten of those same shots and their % hold, we end up with the same number of points in the end. Of course Scoop is less likely to hit a three than someone attempting a layup, but 3's aren't worse shots just because the % made is lower than 2's. You'd rather have a team shoot 20 3's in a game at 36% than 20 2's at 50%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom