I prefer early games | Syracusefan.com

I prefer early games

SWC75

Bored Historian
If we win, I'm both energized and relaxed and want to watch all the other games and see teams struggle to match what we've already accomplished. Of course if we lose, I'm so bummed out I don't want to watch basketball at all and I'll miss out on best weekend in sports. But if we lose a late game the same thing happens and I hate watching team after team survive and advance while I wonder if we can do the same thing. Better to get it done- or over- early.

If we win, I'm both energized and relaxed and want to watch all the other games and see teams struggle to match what we've already accomplished. Of course if we lose, I'm so bummed out I don't want to watch basketball at all and I'll miss out on best weekend in sports. But if we lose a late game the same thing happens and I hate watching team after team survive and advance while I wonder if we can do the same thing. Better to get it done- or over- early.
Exactly how I feel about it.

HATE early games, especially on the first day, for the same reasons you have for liking them haha. I want to be able to enjoy the games regardless.

Hate the early games to be honest. If Syracuse loses the rest of the day is shot because they show the highlights 8 million times and the score keeps flashing by. I prefer to play Fri afternoon so I can at least enjoy one day of the tourney before I nearly crap my pants.

Thursday afternoon games are the worst, if we lose I basically lose all interest in the greatest sporting event of the year before it even gets rolling.

Thursday afternoon games are the worst, if we lose I basically lose all interest in the greatest sporting event of the year before it even gets rolling.

Agreed, if Syracuse loses in the first round the tourney loses a ton of appeal for me and it becomes a chore to watch at least until the next round. The good news is if SU wins you the next two days are really enjoyable. God I hope we win today

I remember one year SU was the 1st game of the tourney, the 12:00 tip against OK State. We lost and that took all the air out of the thing for me. It was 2:00 on the first day and it was already over. Ever since I don't like playing the early game.

This post got me thinking. My tourney memories go back to 1985. Here are what I remember SU's 1st round game times since then. I'm going all on memory so the ones I'm not sure I'll note with a question mark

1985 Friday early evening vs. DePaul
1986 Friday late Afternoon? vs. Brown
1987 Friday late evening vs. Ga. Southern
1988 Thurday late afternoon vs. NC A&T
1989 Friday late afternoon vs. Bucknell
1990 Friday early evening vs. Coppin St.
1991 Thursday late evening vs. Richmond
1992 Friday early evening? vs. UMass
1994 Thursday vs. Hawaii I think that was one of those west coast sites so it was the first game of the day at the site which made it around a 3PM start on the east coast
1995 Friday early afternoon vs. Southern Illinois
1996 Thursday vs. Montana St. Same situation as 1994 so late afternoon in the east
1998 Friday early afternoon vs. Iona
1999 Thurdsay early afternoon vs. OK St.
2000 Thursday late afternoon? vs. Samford
2001 Friday late evening vs. Hawaii. I remember that being the last game to tip on Friday night.
2003 Friday early afternoon vs. Manhattan
2004 Thursday early afternoon? vs. BYU
2005 Friday early evening vs. Vermont
2006 Thursday late evening vs. Texas A&M
2009 Friday early afternoon? vs Steven F. Austin
2010 Friday late evening vs. Vermont
2011 Friday late evening vs. Indiana St.
2012 Thurday late afternoon vs. UNC Asheville
2013 Thursday late evening vs. Montana
2014 Thursday late afternoon vs. Western Michigan

I think the only time SU hasn't played since 1985 is the Thursday 7 PM (early evening) slot.

You seriously remember all of that ^^^ from memory??? I am impressed.

Hate the early games to be honest. If Syracuse loses the rest of the day is shot because they show the highlights 8 million times and the score keeps flashing by. I prefer to play Fri afternoon so I can at least enjoy one day of the tourney before I nearly crap my pants.

Completely agree with this. Tourney is ruined if Cuses loses first round. If you can guarantee me a Cuse win, sure, let em play early. But preferring Cuse to play early in a vacuum is borderline insane.

I remember getting off the bus to watch the NC A&T game. I also remember sneaking into my high school's AV room to watch the SIU game, so those time slots line up.

Completely agree with this. Tourney is ruined if Cuses loses first round. If you can guarantee me a Cuse win, sure, let em play early. But preferring Cuse to play early in a vacuum is borderline insane.

But it's not as bad as watching other teams win and wondering if we can do it, too.

By the way, we are 22-4 in those first round games so waiting until the end of the first round to postpone the bad feelings seems a bit pessimistic.

I just think it's a bad expectancy. You basically give up arguably the 2 (4?) most fun days of the year if Cuse loses early, in exchange for making those days slightly better if they win. Not a lot of upside there.

I remember getting off the bus to watch the NC A&T game. I also remember sneaking into my high school's AV room to watch the SIU game, so those time slots line up.

There were some question marks in there, so I wasn't completly sure on all of those. A lot of those I just remember where I was. For example I was in 5th grade for the NC A&T game and our teacher commandeered a TV for the class that day.

I just think it's a bad expectancy. You basically give up arguably the 2 (4?) most fun days of the year if Cuse loses early, in exchange for making those days slightly better if they win. Not a lot of upside there.

The years where SU had the late Friday game I could still enjoy the other games w/o worrying about SU, so I didn't mind having SU being the last game of the 1st round.

HATE early games, especially on the first day, for the same reasons you have for liking them haha. I want to be able to enjoy the games regardless.

I prefer the earlier games, because I am usual a nervous wreck on game day, so I can't enjoy the earlier games.

If we win then I can enjoy the games even more knowing we have a win in the bank.

I prefer the earlier games, because I am usual a nervous wreck on game day, so I can't enjoy the earlier games.

If we win then I can enjoy the games even more knowing we have a win in the bank.

Today will be fun. 16 games and we're already in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom