I really couldn't be any more disappointed | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I really couldn't be any more disappointed

This team will be a very good team, they will make their shots, they are young, and have lots of talent.

giphy.gif

This team will be a very good team, they will make their shots, they are young, and have lots of talent.

It’s funny how people can see things completely differently, because I was thinking tonight that this might be the least talented SU team I’ve ever seen, and that it’s likely we finish the year with a losing record.

No disrespect obviously, I just have no idea why folks are too disappointed or expected too much from this team. I have been watching Syracuse basketball for over 30 years and it has been clear as day to me this is one of the least talented teams (maybe the least) I can remember. You can still win with the zone and great teamwork without elite talent. Maybe that will happen here, but don't hold your breath.
don't get me wrong I figured this would be total roller-coaster season, ebbing and flowing with our shooting, bubblicious as ever - but tonight against a questionable team (maybe they'll end up being good in the b12 but I kind of doubt it) they just wilted, just looked overmatched... did not expect that... hope like hell they improve and it can be a fun season... dunno tho

Don’t get me wrong here I love JB and everything he has done for this program, continues to do for this program, this school and the community. But I CANNOT stand where the past few years in pressers he will say “we aren’t talented enough to do...” or “they outplayed us” or “they were the better team”. Phrases like that, we are freaking Syracuse we are probably a step below the Dukes of the world prestige/traditionally whether we like to admit it or not but those excuses for a presser after a loss are so lame. Your job is to make sure our team is prepared, your job is to make sure we have the players/talent, your job is to make sure they play hard. Now he didn’t exactly elude to that tonight but giants comments weren’t far off and he’s hasn’t surely said that multiple time the past few years. It’s basically admitted you didn’t do your job up to par. It just irks me because if a coach that has been here for 3-5 years said something like that the fan base would go nuts. Yes JB has done great things like I said but my point here is we CANNOT let the standards of this program slip and that is EXACTLY what is happening. This program has flatlined the last few years and everyone can see it. Two final four miracle runs have saved face for a bunch of mediocre at best regular seasons. This program is stuck in the mud right now and thats the honest truth. As fans, alumni, coaches, etc...you simply can’t be alright with how things are going we have a standard here at Syracuse and I’m sorry the last few seasons and most likely this season have NOT been it and that needs to be fixed. Agree to disagree.

It’s funny how people can see things completely differently, because I was thinking tonight that this might be the least talented SU team I’ve ever seen, and that it’s likely we finish the year with a losing record.

I don’t see how anyone who’s been watching Syracuse basketball since the NC year can say that this year’s team looks like a good team.

It’s quite possibly the least talented team we’ve had since 03’.

or depressed with this team than I am right now. Just awful in every possible way. If JB somehow preserves his non-losing-season streak going w this team - well I'll be very surprised
Wait

I don’t see how anyone who’s been watching Syracuse basketball since the NC year can say that this year’s team looks like a good team.

I’ve been following SU hoops since I became a student in 1991, and this team appears to be the worst I’ve ever seen. Hughes is the only starter who remotely resembles a player who’d be starting on a good SU team.

...Since ‘82. This is Andre Hawkins bad.

Here’s the best SU analogy I can come up with. When I see this team walk on the court, it reminds me of the first time I saw Troy Nunes trot out on the field.

It’s just not the standard I’m used to.

...Since ‘82

I mean I’m only speaking for myself. I was a senior in HS during the 02-03’ campaign, and didn’t regularly watch SU basketball before that. But if you say we’re as bad as any team since 82’, I’ll take your word for it.

Here’s the best SU analogy I can come up with. When I see this team walk on the court, it reminds me of the first time I saw Troy Nunes trot out on the field.

Like Joe G, Hawkins was NYS high school POY.

The silver lining is that you have to have expectations in order for the team to disappoint. If the last few years have taught me anything, it’s to go into games with absolutely zero thoughts that anything remotely good could possibly happen.
Well; that’s ridiculous and depressing. Syracuse basketball shouldn’t be this bad.

When you’ve lost pearl31 you know we’re in trouble. At this point if we’re going to have a losing season we might as well tank... 9-22 or something to speed up the transition timetable. Does 14-17 versus 9-22 really matter in the big picture at this point? I have no idea if ADJW can make the right hire but i do know that delaying the transition is also delaying the opportunity to turn this ship around.

When you’ve lost pearl31 you know we’re in trouble. At this point if we’re going to have a losing season we might as well tank... 9-22 or something to speed up the transition timetable. Does 14-17 versus 9-22 really matter in the big picture at this point? I have no idea if ADJW can make the right hire but i do know that delaying the transition is also delaying the opportunity to turn this ship around.
That's not how it works in college basketball. Especially with a 75 year old coach at the helm. He's not doing anything (intentionally) to help tank one of his last seasons.

Don’t get me wrong here I love JB and everything he has done for this program, continues to do for this program, this school and the community. But I CANNOT stand where the past few years in pressers he will say “we aren’t talented enough to do...” or “they outplayed us” or “they were the better team”. Phrases like that, we are freaking Syracuse we are probably a step below the Dukes of the world prestige/traditionally whether we like to admit it or not but those excuses for a presser after a loss are so lame. Your job is to make sure our team is prepared, your job is to make sure we have the players/talent, your job is to make sure they play hard. Now he didn’t exactly elude to that tonight but giants comments weren’t far off and he’s hasn’t surely said that multiple time the past few years. It’s basically admitted you didn’t do your job up to par. It just irks me because if a coach that has been here for 3-5 years said something like that the fan base would go nuts. Yes JB has done great things like I said but my point here is we CANNOT let the standards of this program slip and that is EXACTLY what is happening. This program has flatlined the last few years and everyone can see it. Two final four miracle runs have saved face for a bunch of mediocre at best regular seasons. This program is stuck in the mud right now and thats the honest truth. As fans, alumni, coaches, etc...you simply can’t be alright with how things are going we have a standard here at Syracuse and I’m sorry the last few seasons and most likely this season have NOT been it and that needs to be fixed. Agree to disagree.
Agree on all of this. EXCEPT. The 2013 NCAA Final Four was NOT a miracle run. Stop with that nonsense. That team was very good and had real talent on the roster. We beat #1 Louisville on the road, finished 4th or 5th in a loaded Big East, made the Big East championship game, and ended up as a #4 seed in the tourney. 4 seeds have a good probability of making the FF. What that team had that this one desperately needs is top level athletes, size, length and some physical players.

Last edited:
Agree on all of this. EXCEPT. The 2013 NCAA Final Four was NOT a miracle run. Stop with that nonsense. That team was very good and had real talent on the roster. We beat #1 Louisville on the road, finished 4th or 5th in a loaded Big East, made the Big East championship game, and ended up as a #4 seed in the tourney. 4 seeds have a good probability of making the FF. What that team had that this one doesn’t is top level athletes, size, length and some physical players.

The 2013 team would beat this team by 30.

1996-97 was pretty bad, too, but we had some young raw talent on that team that showed great long term potential.

When you recruit a team of mostly marginal not top 100 recruits, don't be surprised by results like this game. I still root hard for these guys but fear there's gonna be a lot of these games this season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom