I really couldn't be any more disappointed | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I really couldn't be any more disappointed

That's not how it works in college basketball. Especially with a 75 year old coach at the helm. He's not doing anything (intentionally) to help tank one of his last seasons.
I didn’t mean tank on purpose. I’m just saying if the fates say this will be a losing season then I hope it helps to accelerate the transition to a better future. Wildhack apparently idolizes Jimmy so I think the only thing that’ll get his attention is a big attendance dropoff.

I heard Gerry on the radio a couple nights ago calling Marek “elite”. This kid needs to step up bottom line. He’s here one game gone the next. He’s a jr with a ton of basketball under him. If he doesn’t become more assertive offensively we’re in trouble. No words for buddy either. If those 2 even played mediocre it’s a different game. Grow and move forward hopefully.
Marek missed so many easy shots in the lane that he should have made, not to mention mid range shots and FREE THROWS. We need him to start making shots like he did at the end of his freshman year or this team won’t be successful. He needs to get in the gym and go to work on his shooting.

i see marek and i think "nice back up". i see our back court and i think "borderline ivy". i see a vast cosmic black hole in the middle and no bench production. hey good luck elijah. we go as far as you take us.
eli's coming Well, you better hide your heart

don't get me wrong I figured this would be total roller-coaster season, ebbing and flowing with our shooting, bubblicious as ever - but tonight against a questionable team (maybe they'll end up being good in the b12 but I kind of doubt it) they just wilted, just looked overmatched... did not expect that... hope like hell they improve and it can be a fun season... dunno tho

How good osu is will be a big question. I did think they looked good but we’re weak defensively and on the glass.

Three possessions in i got knots in my stomach. We literally couldn’t maintain our dribble long enough to advance the ball inside our offensive hash mark.

We cannot beat anyone off the dribble to punish overplaying defenders. Good strong guards play through those hand checks. Our guys get sped up and get off balance.

Hughes is the only guy who is a typical SU starter.

Defensively we can’t rebound well enough to finish off stops. And our transition defense is laughable. People cry about Girard not being able to stop the break, but at least he’s back there...all 5-10 of him.

Buddy is Matt Roe. He’s fine if you surround him with athletes, and he gets a lot of open looks because you have to contain other players off the bounce. But people are playing us straight up and not giving our guards an inch. That’s not going to change.

If we aren’t able to screen and cut and run our motion offense, we have no shot. None. Nada.

There’s no post offense and no guard penetration. So you end up with desperation heaves and bad shot selection because there’s not much to defend.

We have good shooters. Really good shooters. But they can’t good shots against good defenders. Bad shooting pcts aren’t because they can’t shoot. They can’t get open.

We have 4 role players starting. Getting 17 wins will be an absolute miracle.
Agreed. But meanwhile, Virginia Tech was decimated in the off season, lost Buzz and basically their entire starting 5 and several key bench guys, and they’re exceeding all expectations. They have one kid, a top 50-100 kid, Landers Nolley, who was suspended last year and had to redshirt. This is his first year playing and he’s basically destroying teams. W t f, why can’t our coaches find these kinds of recruits? How can Va Tech have such roster decimation and basically reload? What’s wrong with our talent evaluation and development?

Last edited:
How good osu is will be a big question. I did think they looked good but we’re weak defensively and on the glass.
Okie State is good. They made the tourney last year and returned all of their starters. I think the stat on the TV says they’re the 5th most experienced team in the country in terms of returning production.

Agree on all of this. EXCEPT. The 2013 NCAA Final Four was NOT a miracle run. Stop with that nonsense. That team was very good and had real talent on the roster. We beat #1 Louisville on the road, finished 4th or 5th in a loaded Big East, made the Big East championship game, and ended up as a #4 seed in the tourney. 4 seeds have a good probability of making the FF. What that team had that this one doesn’t is top level athletes, size, length and some physical players.
Agree with you 1000% about 2013. That was a very good team. That was a mistake on my part and being to general. I’m talking more recently in 2016, or the sweet 16 runs when we barely make the tourney. To put it bluntly I’m talking every season post Ennis.

Okie State is good. They made the tourney last year and returned all of their starters. I think the stat on the TV says they’re the 5th most experienced team in the country in terms of returning production.

that was their football team.

i see marek and i think "nice back up". i see our back court and i think "borderline ivy". i see a vast cosmic black hole in the middle and no bench production. hey good luck elijah. we go as far as you take us.
eli's coming Well, you better hide your heart

Even Elijah should be a 2nd or 3rd option on a good team. He’s not an ACC-level go-to guy.

This roster has been killed by unexpected departures the last few years and it seems we never recovered (plus sanctions).

I honestly think we’re an ok rebounding team, but everything else except shooting stinks.

we’ll have our fair share of wins because we’ll have games where we shoot really well, but we’ll be out-athleticed every night

We only play 2 guys who have played over 2 years of college basketball and both thrust into bigger roles this year. This team will take time to gel

edwards has talent and should get a lot of play. we do have talent up to jb to get them going. moving w/o ball etc etc

This was the first game I've been able to watch this year. The word that kept coming to mind is soft. We have no size inside to get rebounds or play physical interior defense. Our guards get manhandled on both ends of the floor. I think the guys play hard, they're just overmatched. For anyone that grew up seeing the old Big East when we had men on the inside like DC and athletes like Stevie Thompson taking it to the rack against Mutumbo, this is embarrassing.

Even Elijah should be a 2nd or 3rd option on a good team. He’s not an ACC-level go-to guy.
That’s not true. He problem is he doesn’t have any other high level players around him right now. I was hopeful coming into the season that Quincy could be that player, but he’s a year or two away from that, though I expect steady improvement. I know many people were fine with Brissett leaving for the NBA, but that really hurt. He would have given us an elite rebounder and hopefully would have improved finishing around the basket.

edwards has talent and should get a lot of play. we do have talent up to jb to get them going. moving w/o ball etc etc
Can’t rely on a freshman big man to save us. Edwards is gonna be good but he’s a year or two away.

First road trip on a big national stage in NYC on Thanksgiving week. Too much emotional input for such a young team. They were nervous and tense and it showed. Let's see how they respond against Penn St.

Last edited:
That’s not true. He problem is he doesn’t have any other high level players around him right now. I was hopeful coming into the season that Quincy could be that player, but he’s a year or two away from that, though I expect steady improvement. I know many people were fine with Brissett leaving for the NBA, but that really hurt. He would have given us an elite rebounder and hopefully would have improved finishing around the basket.

If you think UVA and Duke and UNC are scared of Elijah I don’t know what to tell you.

I cannot watch a whole Syracuse football game and now I cannot watch a whole basketball game. I'm a diehard fan since 1971.

It's really sad, isn't it? I had to will myself to watch until 2 minutes left last night and finally I turned it off with expletives curling out of my mouth. On top of my recent cuse misery, I'm also a Bucs fan. Ugh!!

When you’ve lost pearl31 you know we’re in trouble. At this point if we’re going to have a losing season we might as well tank... 9-22 or something to speed up the transition timetable. Does 14-17 versus 9-22 really matter in the big picture at this point? I have no idea if ADJW can make the right hire but i do know that delaying the transition is also delaying the opportunity to turn this ship around.
Exactly how does a college team tank a season? The players get together and purposely lose games? The AD trades away the best players to attract top 50 talent? Fire the coaching staff and let the equipment manager run the team? Silly.

Usually not so negative but SU returned all 5 starters last year. How did that work out? Just saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom