I really wanted Marrone to be the guy... | Syracusefan.com

I really wanted Marrone to be the guy...

BostonOrange

2nd String
...love the fact that he is an SU guy and won't use the job as a stepping stone. Love his emphasis on discipline especially after the GRob disaster.
But, the jury is in. It is year 4. We are 19-24 under Marrone. A good percentage of those wins are against the likes of Maine, Akron, Stony Brook, etc.

The tipping point for me is our special teams. Special teams IS coaching. And our special teams for 4 years have been an unmitigated disaster.
It sucks, but it's time to move on.

I've been a Marrone supporter, but I'm starting to wane too. The idea that AAM can't help anywhere but the goal line is stupid. Burning Broyld's redshirt and holding him out now because of fumbling or pass protection issues is crazy. When you have a kid with talent that lacks certain skills, you put him positions to take advantage of what he can do. You don't bury him because of what he can't do.

The defense has played great today, and the offense is horrid. Nassib is a smart kid and a hard worker, I'm sure, but he has NO natural feel for the game. He doesn't sense pressure at all. He seems to hold onto the ball too long when getting pressured and then hurries to get rid of it when the pocket is holding up just fine.

I agree with your comment about special teams. The coverage has been much better, but when are we going to return ANYTHING? Rene has to fair catch nearly everything, and when he does try to return something he's running sideways. Where is the blocking? We never get close to blocking a punt, so we should be able to set up some kind of a return now and then.

I'm frustrated, and I may be done with spending days with 70 degree weather inside just so I can watch my team constantly trip over themselves. I'm glad basketball season is nearly here.

I would be more than happy for Doug to prove us all wrong, but we play ugly football, so it is, what it is.

It's embarrassing that I have zero faith in our 5th year senior.

I've been a Marrone supporter, but I'm starting to wane too. The idea that AAM can't help anywhere but the goal line is stupid. Burning Broyld's redshirt and holding him out now because of fumbling or pass protection issues is crazy. When you have a kid with talent that lacks certain skills, you put him positions to take advantage of what he can do. You don't bury him because of what he can't do.

The defense has played great today, and the offense is horrid. Nassib is a smart kid and a hard worker, I'm sure, but he has NO natural feel for the game. He doesn't sense pressure at all. He seems to hold onto the ball too long when getting pressured and then hurries to get rid of it when the pocket is holding up just fine.

I agree with your comment about special teams. The coverage has been much better, but when are we going to return ANYTHING? Rene has to fair catch nearly everything, and when he does try to return something he's running sideways. Where is the blocking? We never get close to blocking a punt, so we should be able to set up some kind of a return now and then.

I'm frustrated, and I may be done with spending days with 70 degree weather inside just so I can watch my team constantly trip over themselves. I'm glad basketball season is nearly here.
I agree with everything you said.