I see people referencing poor game day coaching today | Syracusefan.com

I see people referencing poor game day coaching today

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
I will give you the punt on 4th down, I believe it was a total brain fart and a horrible call for many reasons, other than that what did the staff do that was not to ones liking? Just curious as there seem to be so many geniuses here. I just have a tough time agreeing with anyone who states with some more aggressive playxalling or better coaching that we win that game.

I will give you the punt on 4th down, I believe it was a total brain fart and a horrible call for many reasons, other than that what did the staff do that was not to ones liking? Just curious as there seem to be so many geniuses here. I just have a tough time agreeing with anyone who states with some more aggressive playxalling or better coaching that we win that game.
to a lesser degree the other punt people are referencing earlier in the game. They just don't put themselves in a good enough position to try and win and do the very things you're referring very accurately that maximize that potential. But in terms of x's and o's I don't see how anyone can fault amy of the coaches and efforts of players too.

They all have got to be bumming to be at 0-2.

to a lesser degree the other punt people are referencing earlier in the game. They just don't put themselves in a good enough position to try and win and do the very things you're referring very accurately that maximize that potential. But in terms of x's and o's I don't see how anyone can fault amy of the coaches and efforts of players too.

They all have got to be bumming to be at 0-2.

Just read a couple of the articles online at the P-S...the team doesn't sound bummed at all. Very upbeat...

Not just yesterdays bad decisions of if he does this they win. It's yesterday's bad decisions piled on top of the the laundry list of bad decisions Doug has made in games the past year and a half or so. Doesn't put his team in the best position to win.

Just read a couple of the articles online at the P-S...the team doesn't sound bummed at all. Very upbeat...
now thats good to hear. Here's hoping they get a good performance against stonybrook. I heard they won their game by 70, so this isn't going to be a cakewalk and will require equivalent effort to not only win but win big which I think is the salve needed right now.

play calling is very good except for wildcat at that point. Everything Marrone does is good except for fourth down

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hated the first punt too. Also question the huge cushion given on the 3rd and 12 where the guy ended up scoring. That could have just been bad execution though maybe an lb was supposed to slide under or something. Other than that no complaints.

I haven't read a lot today, but I would say that at least my definition of "bad game-day coaching" are just those decisions that have to be made on the fly -- they can't be part of a game plan, they happen quickly enough that there isn't a lot of weighing options and statistics. You just have to have a bit of a feel for those.

To me, DM consistently struggles with clock issues and late game fourth-down type calls. It's not new. Will it change? I'm not sure but I don't think it necessarily is a fireable offense.

But on Saturday I thought it was a classic DM situation where he punts on 4th-and-2 with his offense playing decently well (and his specials typically playing terribly). Then after the teams exchange scores he decides he wants to get aggressive and goes onsides. Just seems to me you're better off trying to get a conversion with your offense and senior quarterback and then kicking deep and trying to get a stop with your defense.

play calling is very good except for wildcat at that point. Everything Marrone does is good except for fourth down

I disagreed with the fourth down call - he probably should have gone for it.

I disagreed with the two-point conversion decisions - too early - need to gather points.

In retrospect, I agree that it might not have been a great idea putting Broyld in there deep in our own end at that point in the game.

None of those decisions lost the game.

See i can agree with that, it's post like sterns that I think are absurd. The team is coming on strong.

I disagreed with the fourth down call - he probably should have gone for it.

I disagreed with the two-point conversion decisions - too early - need to gather points.

In retrospect, I agree that it might not have been a great idea putting Broyld in there deep in our own end at that point in the game.

None of those decisions lost the game.

In addition to these, I would've liked to see us take a crack downfield after our D turned them over in their half of the field (can't remember if it was the pick or on downs).

But like you said, none of this lost the game yesterday.

Yea, for me it was the two 4th down punts. The first one, we knew the defense couldnt keep holding them and we had the chance to put up some points first. Second 4th down, it was an obvious go for it down and our offense is pretty good, gotta trust them to get those yards in that situation. DM was playing the game like we had Alabama's defense. The Wildcat at our on 15 yd line made no sense.

I'd be curious to know what USC fans are saying about Lane Kiffin's play calling. "I know we won, but I can't believe Syracuse, of all teams, out gained us on offense. I can't believe our future 1st round quarterback threw for less than 200 yards while theirs threw for over 300. We shouldn't have had to run reverses against them to put up 40 points. I can't believe they stopped us twice on fourth down."

I saw a Syracuse team that competed with an elite team better than any in the last 10 years. If we can put forth that kind of effort the rest of the season, there is noone left on the schedule that can't be beat.

See i can agree with that, it's post like sterns that I think are absurd. The team is coming on strong.
What post are you talking about? Me pointing out they have lost 7 in a row. Me pointing out they are 0-2 this year. All I have ever said is if its a bad year this year (and so far 0-2 ain't looking bright) its time to look in another direction. Go win 7 in a row and shut me up and prove me wrong. If they win I have egg all over my face and you guys can call me all the names you want and laugh. But if it ends up being a 4 or 5 win team (or worse) I'm sorry something is clearly wrong here and you have to question the direction of the program. If you think that is outlandish thought or belief to have, well then we just see things very differently.

I see alot of people talk about "no more moral victories" but then write 3 paragraphs of nothing but "moral victories" they see! Win a game!!!! I am not upset SU lost to USC, it was expected. I like that they hung tough actually. But until this coaching staff and team shows otherwise (like win a stinking game) they are what they are. A team that has lost 7 in a row and hasn't won a game in almost a calender year.

I will have a post about this later today.

I know you're all in suspense now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I don't get it. People are complaining about going for two too early.

I heard the exact opposite from the NW game, that we didn't go for two early enough.

When you're playing the #2 team in the country in a game you're not supposed to win, you take your chances when you have them in front of you.

And on that note- That's what was so disappointing about the two fourth down calls.

What post are you talking about? Me pointing out they have lost 7 in a row. Me pointing out they are 0-2 this year. All I have ever said is if its a bad year this year (and so far 0-2 ain't looking bright) its time to look in another direction. Go win 7 in a row and shut me up and prove me wrong. If they win I have egg all over my face and you guys can call me all the names you want and laugh. But if it ends up being a 4 or 5 win team (or worse) I'm sorry something is clearly wrong here and you have to question the direction of the program. If you think that is outlandish thought or belief to have, well then we just see things very differently.

I see alot of people talk about "no more moral victories" but then write 3 paragraphs of nothing but "moral victories" they see! Win a game!!!! I am not upset SU lost to USC, it was expected. I like that they hung tough actually. But until this coaching staff and team shows otherwise (like win a stinking game) they are what they are. A team that has lost 7 in a row and hasn't won a game in almost a calender year.
I think saying ALL they are is a team that hasn't won in almost a calender year while losing 7 in a row is a simpletons's point of view. They clearly are playing more physically on defense. The changes on offense led to 455 yards of total offense against the #2 team in the country. When's the last time we outgained a team with 400+ yards of total offense? The 7 game losing streak is truth, but not the whole truth.

Pretty minor and didn't impact the game, but I'm a bigger fan of coaches who leave the 2 point conversion chart in their pocket until the 4th quarter.

What we do from here on out with a much more physically prepared football team will ultimately tell the story how the coaching staff performed this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What post are you talking about? Me pointing out they have lost 7 in a row. Me pointing out they are 0-2 this year. All I have ever said is if its a bad year this year (and so far 0-2 ain't looking bright) its time to look in another direction. Go win 7 in a row and shut me up and prove me wrong. If they win I have egg all over my face and you guys can call me all the names you want and laugh. But if it ends up being a 4 or 5 win team (or worse) I'm sorry something is clearly wrong here and you have to question the direction of the program. If you think that is outlandish thought or belief to have, well
then we just see things very differently.

I see alot of people talk about "no more moral victories" but then write 3 paragraphs of nothing but "moral victories" they see! Win a game!!!! I am not upset SU lost to USC, it was expected. I like that they hung tough actually. But until this coaching staff and team shows
otherwise (like win a stinking game) they are what they are. A team that has lost 7 in a row and hasn't won a game in almost a calender year.

In my book, you gave up your right to bitch a year ago, you are now a big part of the problem with the program. Local curmudgeon who likes to whine and complain, watch games on tv as opposed to go. You will be back when they win, I get it good for you, go follow sunny cortland. See you at the cortaga jug!!

Caught up in the emotion of the moment, I wanted to go for it.

Let's look at the alternate: Had Fisher kicked a slightly shorter punt, SU downs the ball inside the 5.

SU gets a huge turnover and scores, or Barkley has a 95 yard scoring drive instead of an 80 yard drive.

:noidea:

Punt, Putting Ash in deep in our end poor field position, not playing PTG earlier. Other than that i felt the coaches did an exceptional job. Im very impressed with Hack and have eaten every word i have written about him. I would give Doug a three year extension no later than After the Pitt game.

I think saying ALL they are is a team that hasn't won in almost a calender year while losing 7 in a row is a simpletons's point of view. They clearly are playing more physically on defense. The changes on offense led to 455 yards of total offense against the #2 team in the country. When's the last time we outgained a team with 400+ yards of total offense? The 7 game losing streak is truth, but not the whole truth.
Once again you are stating moral victories. It's year 4...enough with the moral victories.

In my book, you gave up your right to bitch a year ago, you are now a big part of the problem with the program. Local curmudgeon who likes to whine and complain, watch games on tv as opposed to go. You will be back when they win, I get it good for you, go follow sunny cortland. See you at the cortaga jug!!

Be back? I never left...lol! Just because I gave up season tickets doesn't mean I don't go to games. I have stated a millions, but here is a million and one because you and I am sure others simply don't get it. I gave up my season tickets for reasons other than LOSING. I won't go into the whole diatribe again because nobody else cares except for you because you keep bringing it up (if you want to know all the details send me a private message and I will go into it...again). They have 5 home games this year, I will be at 4 of them (not going to Stony Brook) what does that have to do with anything? Only fans who have season tickets can have an opinion? That is silly! My 25+ years of having season tickets doesn't count? It prevents me from voicing an opinion? You can't be serious!

P.S...I am not part of the problem. I don't play, I don't coach. I am just a fan (like you) with an opinion (like you). Stop blaming the fans for the programs failures on the field for the past decade or so.

Caught up in the emotion of the moment, I wanted to go for it.

Let's look at the alternate: Had Fisher kicked a slightly shorter punt, SU downs the ball inside the 5.

SU gets a huge turnover and scores, or Barkley has a 95 yard scoring drive instead of an 80 yard drive.

:noidea:

That's my biggest problem though. In my opinion you are more likely to get 2 yards when you control the play than you are to rely on the bounce of an oblong ball to go your way.

Short punts pinning teams inside the 5 aren't nearly as easy for college punters as coaches seem to think they are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The problem with your analysis
Once again you are stating moral victories. It's year 4...enough with the moral victories.
The problem with your anaysis is this is not last year, the 5 losses have nothing to do with this team. This team is 0-2 with a gam e they should have won, after the next 6 games if we still aren't winning then you have something to say. We need to win at least 5 of those games, to set us up for the final 4 games which are all winnable.