I see people referencing poor game day coaching today | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I see people referencing poor game day coaching today

I completecompletely agree. After watching the Pitt/Cinci game I realized that Syracuse can beat both teams. I know Pittsburgh is struggling but Cincinatti did not look as good as they have in the past. Louisville will be our biggest challenge in the BE.

I'd be curious to know what USC fans are saying about Lane Kiffin's play calling. "I know we won, but I can't believe Syracuse, of all teams, out gained us on offense. I can't believe our future 1st round quarterback threw for less than 200 yards while theirs threw for over 300. We shouldn't have had to run reverses against them to put up 40 points. I can't believe they stopped us twice on fourth down."

I saw a Syracuse team that competed with an elite team better than any in the last 10 years. If we can put forth that kind of effort the rest of the season, there is noone left on the schedule that can't be beat.

The problem with your analysis
The problem with your anaysis is this is not last year, the 5 losses have nothing to do with this team. This team is 0-2 with a gam e they should have won, after the next 6 games if we still aren't winning then you have something to say. We need to win at least 5 of those games, to set us up for the final 4 games which are all winnable.
But when judging Doug and whether he gets a contract extension you have to take into account the BIG PICTURE and the overall view. Not just game to game basis.

And the fact you wrote "should have won" (and they didn't in reality) says alot.

I disagreed with the fourth down call - he probably should have gone for it.

I disagreed with the two-point conversion decisions - too early - need to gather points.

In retrospect, I agree that it might not have been a great idea putting Broyld in there deep in our own end at that point in the game.

None of those decisions lost the game.
I'm upset because i think his philosophy will limit us long term. Usc probably still wins no matter what. But it's so deflating to have a chance but blow it because of that.Marrone doesn't need to get smart in math but he needs different rules in his head

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

None of this matters until Marrone hires someone to teach him how to teach kids how to tackle.

None of this matters until Marrone hires someone to teach him how to teach kids how to tackle.
Let's start with a Special Teams coach. I know I know not every school has a dedicated Special Teams coach. But I know one thing, this school, Syracuse University, NEEDS ONE!

I'm upset because i think his philosophy will limit us long term. Usc probably still wins no matter what. But it's so deflating to have a chance but blow it because of that.Martone doesn't need to get smart in math but he needs different rules in his head

Well, I'm not sure you can go that far.

The textbook call on the fourth down was to punt the ball - make a stop - get the ball back in decent field position and avoid giving the ball to USC with half a field to go with nearly 13 minutes left in the game.

I certainly cannot call that decision "stupid" or a foreshadowing of danger in the future.

This is a case where reasonable people can differ on a game time decision. I think most coaches would probably have done what Marrone did. And if the defense had executed on the reverse, the decision would probably have been vindicated.

I am a fan. My job is not on the line and I don't know all the facts. So, yes, I would have probably gone for it because it seemed that the Orange was going to get the first down at that point - it just "felt" like the right thing to do. I also did not think that a difference of say 20 to 30 yards was going to impact USC on offense. So, on this one I agree with you and disagree with Marrone.

But, that is a self-limited decision - it does bode poorly for the future.

I do truly disagree with going for two points early in the second half - I believe that a team has to accumulate points and should only go for two when it is late and the score dictates it.

Caught up in the emotion of the moment, I wanted to go for it.

Let's look at the alternate: Had Fisher kicked a slightly shorter punt, SU downs the ball inside the 5.

SU gets a huge turnover and scores, or Barkley has a 95 yard scoring drive instead of an 80 yard drive.

:noidea:

Are you the guy who goes all in with a 10-J and thinks he's going to get a straight?

I mean your proposal COULD happen, but I'd prefer Coach would play the percentages better. That's all. I agree with the other pts in the thread. I think the change in offense is outstanding. I think he's doing a good job...but special teams, blah...and big decisions in the game, would prefer he play with the numbers instead of standard "football logic"

Well, I'm not sure you can go that far.

The textbook call on the fourth down was to punt the ball - make a stop - get the ball back in decent field position and avoid giving the ball to USC with half a field to go with nearly 13 minutes left in the game.

I certainly cannot call that decision "stupid" or a foreshadowing of danger in the future.

This is a case where reasonable people can differ on a game time decision. I think most coaches would probably have done what Marrone did. And if the defense had executed on the reverse, the decision would probably have been vindicated.

I am a fan. My job is not on the line and I don't know all the facts. So, yes, I would have probably gone for it because it seemed that the Orange was going to get the first down at that point - it just "felt" the right thing to do. I also did not think that a difference of say 20 to 30 yards was going to impact USC on offense. So, on this one I agree with you and disagree with Marrone.

But, that is a self-limited decision - it does bode poorly for the future.

I do truly disagree with going for two points early in the second half - I believe that a team has to accumulate points and should only go for two when it is late and the score dictates it.
It's a dumb textbook

The textbook call on the fourth down was to punt the ball - make a stop - get the ball back in decent field position and avoid giving the ball to USC with half a field to go with nearly 13 minutes left in the game

Who's textbook? I mean it's mindblowing (not on you, I understand your point)

The punt on 4th and 2 didn't bother me. There were 12 minutes left in a 12 point game and we had a chance to pin them in their own territory. You can debate it but saying that it was an obviously bad idea is wrong.

What i don't like it the explanation that Marrone "didn't want to put his players in a bad situaiotn". What if they get it at midfiled and go in and score. You've got to have more confidence in your own players than that when they've played well. And you need to find ways to put your players ina good situation more than worrying about the bad ones. If he'd said that pinning them back was a way of putting his players in a good situation, I would have found that a more acceptable explanation.

I disagreed with the two-point conversion decisions - too early - need to gather points.

Yea, I hate chasing the points that early in the game. It almost never comes into play. The only time I would consider going for 2 is in the later half of the 4th quarter (under 7-8 minutes remaining), when you're down 2 scores or less.

Of course.
it's changing slowly but surely. the textbook used to say you couldn't run out of the spread.

the only other coach i can remember who punted from the 32 was gregg williams. the buffalo news and wgr 550 still talk about it and it was 10 years ago. i think marrone is a much much much better person than williams but people would've probably told me gregg williams was smart. the same smart guy who documented bounties. you just don't want to be compared with gregg williams when it comes to common sense.

I don't get it. People are complaining about going for two too early.

I heard the exact opposite from the NW game, that we didn't go for two early enough.

When you're playing the #2 team in the country in a game you're not supposed to win, you take your chances when you have them in front of you.

And on that note- That's what was so disappointing about the two fourth down calls.
I am firmly in Marrone's camp but I actually think that the decision to go for 2 after the final TD in the NW game was a mistake as well.

Granted, they hit the 2 to go up 6 but being up 5 versus 4 (if they had missed it) was a big difference. If they miss the 2 point conversion in that scenario and NW scores a TD, the FG only ties it instead of wins it.

Virtually no difference in a 5 or 6 point lead.

SUOrange44

I think it's a mistake to equate (confuse, actually) intelligence with coaching philosophy. The decisions to punt on 4th and 2 over the 40 is residual effect of being an NFL coach. Not sure what the going for 2 was about.

I love that DM and staff had the balls to stay no huddle, up tempo, and go toe-to-toe with USC AND outgain them statistically. Stats are for losers, but there is a light at the end of this 10 year long tunnel.

First the offense, then the punting phphilosophy, then the conservative NFL philosophy.

1. Decision to punt
2. Decision to punt
3. Going for 2 in the 3rd qtr
4. Using wildcat with AB at our 15
5. Using 3 big guys to protect punter

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The punt on 4th and 2 didn't bother me. There were 12 minutes left in a 12 point game and we had a chance to pin them in their own territory. You can debate it but saying that it was an obviously bad idea is wrong.

Mo was with us. And like the rutgirls game last year, showed no faith in the team at a time we could have taken the bull by the horns. Both decisions cost us a chance to win.

The punt on 4th and 2.

I would also add - I would love one of the X and O guys to explain the rationale of our D on the 3rd and 12 that led to their TE scoring. We rush 3 and our CB is 8 yards off him and then back pedals even further at the snap. Even if we had tackled him, it was such an easy first down. Was there supposed to be one of our LBs underneath?

Be back? I never left...lol! Just because I gave up season tickets doesn't mean I don't go to games. I have stated a millions, but here is a million and one because you and I am sure others simply don't get it. I gave up my season tickets for reasons other than LOSING. I won't go into the whole diatribe again because nobody else cares except for you because you keep bringing it up (if you want to know all the details send me a private message and I will go into it...again). They have 5 home games this year, I will be at 4 of them (not going to Stony Brook) what does that have to do with anything? Only fans who have season tickets can have an opinion? That is silly! My 25+ years of having season tickets doesn't count? It prevents me from voicing an opinion? Youcan't be serious!

P.S...I am not part of the problem. I don't play, I don't coach. I am just a fan (like you) with an opinion (like you). Stop blaming the fans for the programs failures on the field for the past decade or so.

C-U -R -M-U-D-G-E-O-N

1. Decision to punt
2. Decision to punt
3. Going for 2 in the 3rd qtr
4. Using wildcat with AB at our 15
5. Using 3 big guys to protect punter

Besides the last punt all really debatable stuff, certainly not huge things as many would them out to be, hindsight is a beautiful thing as well. Always amazed how smart people are here,even the last punt can be debated I just happen to agree he should have went for it

Its not hindsight when at the time of a decision people were seriously questioning it..

But when judging Doug and whether he gets a contract extension you have to take into account the BIG PICTURE and the overall view. Not just game to game basis.

And the fact you wrote "should have won" (and they didn't in reality) says alot.

Anybody who think Marrone should get an extension is taking into account the BIG PICTURE. You really think he's done a poor job rebuilding the program?

Holy cow are you blind if you do.

Anybody who think Marrone should get an extension is taking into account the BIG PICTURE. You really think he's done a poor job rebuilding the program?

Holy cow are you blind if you do.

7 game losing streak! Wins matter!

I disagreed with the fourth down call - he probably should have gone for it.

In retrospect, I agree that it might not have been a great idea putting Broyld in there deep in our own end at that point in the game.

None of those decisions lost the game.

Those decisions do not lose games. Very rare that one decision has that much impact.

Those decisions do deflate confidence. They can also sway momentum.