I see why the B1G doesn't schedule BCS teams | Syracusefan.com

I see why the B1G doesn't schedule BCS teams

ImperialOrange

Living Legend
That Minnesota team we just beat only lost to the B1G conference champion 14-3?!

Minnesota have exactly 2 good players in their RB and their punter. That's it. Their hype monster, all B1G, DT was a non factor. I saw him towering over Macky on our first series, had read all the hype, and thought "this is going to suck" but that was the last time he was seen all game. We could barely field a starting secondary and they were 11-22 passing. Our true Frosh WR even punked their all conference CB. Unreal. Perhaps Maryland and Rutgers can compete there after all.

That Minnesota team we just beat only lost to the B1G conference champion 14-3?!

Minnesota have exactly 2 good players in their RB and their punter. That's it. Their hype monster, all B1G, DT was a non factor. I saw him towering over Macky on our first series, had read all the hype, and thought "this is going to suck" but that was the last time he was seen all game. We could barely field a starting secondary and they were 11-22 passing. Our true Frosh WR even punked their all conference CB. Unreal. Perhaps Maryland and Rutgers can compete there after all.

I would take Bromley, Donald, Whitlock, and that bowling ball from FSU over the Minny D tackle any day of the week. Huge dude. Not quite sure how he is 3rd team All American.

I would take Bromley, Donald, Whitlock, and that bowling ball from FSU over the Minny D tackle any day of the week. Huge dude. Not quite sure how he is 3rd team All American.

For all the hype I was curious why the lack of stats to back it up. Timmy Jernigan from FSU is a scary dude, is that who you were thinking of?

What Ohio St is going to find out is the Speed in the ACC is something they don't see in the Big 10. Isn't it something that we finally had a big special teams play give us a win.

Yeah, West was open many times with distance between him and his defender...if only Hunt could have connected once or twice...

West didn't get separation against FSU, Clemson and a few other schools. Speed kills. Right now, it is killing the B1G.

Crusty said:
The Big 10 quality has deteriorated more than any conference in the last ten years and it hasn't stopped going down.

Not sure that's right exactly. I think football changed in general. 10 years ago on these same boards people were saying the same things about the Pac 10. The game changes (I'm not old enough to have seen more than a couple of cycles) and it affects the leagues from the mid tier down very significantly. I actually think the Big 10 has the same level of quality, it's just that right now other styles are better.

I've been fortunate to see college football all over the country for 20 years. There isn't a major sport that is more regional (I guess maybe hockey) than football. But that is college. The NFL, IMO, is less affected by these fluctuations. I haven't done this yet, but an interesting off season project would be to chart NFL draftees by position by conference over the last 25 years and see if the Big 10 is consistent. My bet would be that even though the league may not be as strong overall, the NFL draftees would be constant.

44cuse

Bromley was significantly better than Hageman. He really deserved more accolades, kid had a monster season.

Yep. #8.

I still have nightmares of that dude.
JerniganSyracuse.gif

JernaginSyracuse2.gif

TimmySack.gif

TimmyJudo.gif

Last edited:
Thats why it cracks me up when people make a big deal about height with defensive linemen. I guess if you want to bat down passes height is good. Of the four from the ACC Jay is the tallest by far at 6'3" (although Jernigan is listed at 6'2" I'm a little skeptical, unless Hunt is 6'6")

A little over the top. We got smoked by a 4-8 team. Smoked.

Apparently Maryland didn't get the message. I'm sure they will.

Which is very smart. Wish SU copied that format!
Or the Sun belt like the SEC, the idea is supposed to get wins, not to look good in a loss. Also playing those kinds of teams, gives you an opportunity to get a look at younger players in game action.