i think even our fan base needs a TO and regroup | Syracusefan.com

i think even our fan base needs a TO and regroup

Marsh01

Living Legend
And I am in this category so I am not pointing fingers but last night was the climax of a frustrating stretch. Comments I heard from my seat last night:

When Roberson would get the ball behind the three point line: "Shoot it for gods sake!"

When we were down and the press wasnt working: "We need to keep pressing to speed the game up"

When Ennis was trying to keep us in the game: "Obviously he is trying to improve his draft stock by shooting it every possession and ignoring his teammates"

I am too tired and upset to post more but you get the drift. Everyone is a coach and their solution is THE solution.

My favorite:

"JB needs to retire... "

Oh really? Off the bandwagon you go...

dd-3.jpg

My problem is with the dichotomy that has been created. It seems like we are only allowed to be a pessimist who has "jumped off the bandwagon" or we have orange colored sunglasses. I am a fan who is really bummed out about last night's game and have serious concerns about certain aspects of the team. It doesn't mean that I still don't love these guys (personality wise, this is one of my favorite SU teams ever) and that I don't think that they have the ability to make a run in the tournament.

I have typed out at least a dozen posts in this forum over the past 2 weeks, some VERY long, that I ended up not posting because they were emotional, reactionary, and would just not bring anything to the discussion more than my 9 year old throwing a tantrum because something isnt going his way.

I have very strong opinions about the current situation, but theyve all been said before by smarter people than I around these parts, so what's the point. Is Jim Boeheim reading these? Is he, after all of these years, going to suddenly start building a deeper rotation because I am bitching about it? No.

It is what it is. Hopefully they right the ship. If they don't, hopefully next year's class is better. No point whining about it.

Being a pessimist and worrying about Grant's health, or Cooneys shooting is one thing. Saying JB needs to retire is another. There is a line between being a pessimist and being straight out ignorant.

My problem is with the dichotomy that has been created. It seems like we are only allowed to be a pessimist who has "jumped off the bandwagon" or we have orange colored sunglasses. I am a fan who is really bummed out about last night's game and have serious concerns about certain aspects of the team. It doesn't mean that I still don't love these guys (personality wise, this is one of my favorite SU teams ever) and that I don't think that they have the ability to make a run in the tournament.
They have the ability to, I think we have seen that. However, we've said for a while that this team can make it to the Final Four or be ousted in the second round, and I can't argue with that. You could make the same statement for most teams. As Marsh said yesterday, and I 100% agree, "No Grant, no chance."

Conrad13 said:

I think you walked the middle ground about as well as it could be walked. There is no sugar coating what is going on with the team, but

There's a real "I told you so!" attitude among a lot of people. Good for them. I guess they win a prize. No one who takes the time to post here is a bad fan, but when times are tough I prefer the posters who stay at least somewhat positive and who can accept that they might be proven wrong versus the I Told You So posters.

Last edited:
I think you walked the middle ground pretty about as well as it could be walked. There is no sugar coating what is going on with the team, but

There's a real "I told you so!" attitude among a lot of people. Good for them. I guess the win a prize. No one who takes the time to post here is a bad fan, but when times are tough I prefer the posters who stay at least somewhat positive and who can accept that they might be proven wrong versus the I Told You So posters.

I think it's still to early for the told you so posters. How did the told you so posters look at this time last year? I know not same years, but lots of garbage on the board today. JB needs to retire. Cooney needs to be recruited over. Stuff that's just ignorant in my mind.

I'm sure the team knows they are playing bad and want to play better. I'm sure JB wants the team to play better. JB's decisions, Cooneys shooting, or grants health can be concerns, but some of the comments made in response to those concerns make me almost think some people are happy we are losing the way we are. See they lost 4 in a row, coach doesnt have it anymore. See cooney hasn't shot well in 6 games, he needs to be recruited over, the rest of the season was a fluke. See Grant missed yesterdays game, he's definately out for the rest of the season.

I think you walked the middle ground about as well as it could be walked. There is no sugar coating what is going on with the team, but

There's a real "I told you so!" attitude among a lot of people. Good for them. I guess they win a prize. No one who takes the time to post here is a bad fan, but when times are tough I prefer the posters who stay at least somewhat positive and who can accept that they might be proven wrong versus the I Told You So posters.
Usually "I told you so" posts come from people still stung by the reaction to their original post. I'm in that situation but have resisted the temptation, so far. It's one thing (and perfectly fine) to say and believe that we'll be fine in the face of consistent poor play. It's another to insult and question the fandom and sanity of those pointing out that there's a problem.

There's a real "I told you so!" attitude among a lot of people. Good for them. I guess they win a prize.
I have carpal tunnel from repeatedly clicking the ignore button last night.