I think Okafor is the next great NBA center | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I think Okafor is the next great NBA center

He won't have the size advantage in the NBA to just overpower people. What I see is a guy that doesn't rebound out of his area, doesn't defend the rim or on the perimeter at all, can't shoot FTs, and has no offense outside of 8 feet. Actually reminds me of Eddy Curry. He is not a franchise player. I'll take Towns all day and wait for the development. He will be a much more complete, much more versatile player.
But you won't take a young Okafor and wait for his development? He is already nearly as good in some areas as some centers in the NBA.

Oak kind of reminds me of cousins actually...

I don't see Cousins enough to comment. His attitude is poison, though. You can't survive at a high level as a team with that in your locker room. He must change or he will be another "one of those guys". There is a reason he is available despite being so talented.

i didnt make the Dream comparison to begin w and i said a smaller Shaq
No one will ever be Hakeem. Imagine him in tne NBA right now picking his teammates and just dominating the league.

I don't think so. On defense, he gets blown by on the outside and it will only get worse as his body gets thicker...which it will. As a help defender, he is slow to react and becomes a "watcher". I think he wants to defend but can't. Think STAT. It just isn't in him.
i dont agree, i think duk could win it all but imo they are too focused O and not enough on D, they are young

totally agreed but he has a long way to go, he may get there. what great true C has ok gone up against? rak will be a 4
That big mother from UNC. And he abused OK4.

totally agreed but he has a long way to go, he may get there. what great true C has ok gone up against? rak will be a 4
There's not a lot of great ones in the League though either. He will hold his own.

No one will ever be Hakeem. Imagine him in tne NBA right now picking his teammates and just dominating the league.
Anthony Davis with 20 pounds. Keep your eye on Thon Maker. Garnett-like but with more skills at the same age. If he puts on weight, he will be another all around game monster. If you haven't seen him...google some videos. Its worth it. Probably UK bound for a year...

But are you being too strict about critiquing Okafor's defensive capabilities when he's only 19 years old?

I think this is the key. His defense is not good now but he's really young and the offense is incredible. As a Knick fan I dont know if I want him or Towns.

I've only seen him play once, a couple weeks ago against UNC in which I thought he was slow afoot. I don't believe I saw the next Olajuwon out there.

I think this is the key. His defense is not good now but he's really young and the offense is incredible. As a Knick fan I dont know if I want him or Towns.
His offense is very polished, no doubt. But the NBA lane is wider, they will call three seconds more consistently, and the bodies against him will be bigger, stronger, and faster. You want Towns...give in to the dark side.

His offense is very polished, no doubt. But the NBA lane is wider, they will call three seconds more consistently, and the bodies against him will be bigger, stronger, and faster. You want Towns...give in to the dark side.
if you have Melo and somehow get DURANT, imo u want Towns

I don't get the Olajuwon comparison, either. That man could SHOOT the ball!

I don't get the Olajuwon comparison, either. That man could SHOOT the ball!
i am sorry, it was a comparison from another thread about doubling ok but i confused that thread w this one

Anthony Davis with 20 pounds. Keep your eye on Thon Maker. Garnett-like but with more skills at the same age. If he puts on weight, he will be another all around game monster. If you haven't seen him...google some videos. Its worth it. Probably UK bound for a year...
Oh... Forgot about unibrow...
Yup he is quite good. Not the dream yet, but only about 22!

ie Ok is a stronger version of the Dream right now but not nearly athletic/QUOTE]
Whaaaaa...? Olajuwon was arguably the best defensive center of his time. Okafor is nothing like him IMO - a smaller Shaq is not unreasonable but even that's a stretch.

Maybe, but the bodies against Towns in the NBA are going to be just as much bigger/stronger/faster etc. And three seconds; I mean it's not like it's really called ever at either level
Towns has a chance to be really really good though. Very much torn here

Okafor is going to get killed in NBA pick and roll defense. He is average at best defensively but has good offensive skills. I don't see him as a franchise player yet. He has to learn more and I don't see him leading his team to rapid improvement next year. The last franchise player Anthony Davis is still maturing in year 3 and he was way beyond where Okafor is now.

Maybe, but the bodies against Towns in the NBA are going to be just as much bigger/stronger/faster etc. And three seconds; I mean it's not like it's really called ever at either level
Towns has a chance to be really really good though. Very much torn here

Chances are one becomes a solid starter and one becomes a sometimes all star, at best.

That's if everything goes well.

No one should be referencing Shaq or Hakeem in this thread.

I think Okafor is a safer bet if you don't want to take Mudiay or a flyer on Russell and need a back to the basket guy on O.

Okafor could be nowhere close to Hakeem or shaq when his career ends and he still could have a great NBA career.

People realize those two guys are top ten players ever, correct?

Okafor could be nowhere close to Hakeem or shaq when his career ends and he still could have a great NBA career.

People realize those two guys are top ten players ever, correct?

Bingo.

Towns is Tyson Chandler with an offensive game. That's all star caliber in any era. It will take 2-3 years but it will happen. OK4? Starter and maybe all star if there are not many good centers. That's not really an endorsement, though.

Towns is Tyson Chandler with an offensive game. That's all star caliber in any era. It will take 2-3 years but it will happen. OK4? Starter and maybe all star if there are not many good centers. That's not really an endorsement, though.

Tyson Chandler with an offensive game is a Hall of Fame player. Karl Towns won't be that or even close.

I can see Okafor being a maybe/sometimes center. That's a solid NBA career. 10+ years.

Tyson Chandler with an offensive game is a Hall of Fame player. Karl Towns won't be that or even close.

I can see Okafor being a maybe/sometimes center. That's a solid NBA career. 10+ years.
lol...hall of fame. The guy is the most overrated defensive layer, ever. Two years of watching his lazy, inconsistent ass in NY was more than enough. How he ever got DPY is a mystery. He must have naked pics of somebody. BTW, he wasn't remotely the play Towns is now when he was a Rookie. Also, career averages of 9.3 rebounds and 1.3 blocks is not "hall of fame"...even if he averaged 18 points.

i actually dont agree, i think there are a few teams that will consider Towns. that kid plays so much longer and better on D than Ok. ok did a great job pushing Rak out on D last night because he is so much bigger. but i could tell Rak settled for that because he thought he could face up ok and beat him easily off the dribble just the way many acc centers have this year one on one. but of course K had him doubled before he could get the ball on the court. very smart as we had no other options. could ok be the next Olajuwon offensively? yes! defensively? i really doubt it. it bothers me slightly when people talk about the next greats and they only mention offense, no discussion of defense. dont get me wrong he could be the next olajuwon but imo on D he has a long long way to go. Towns is a lot closer on D imo and also Towns plays above the rim way better. you cant compare their low post moves, ok wins in a landslide

There is no comparison to Olajuwan. Two completely different players. olajuwan had the quickness of a guard. okafor is a deliberate player using strength and soft hands. they were both strong but Okafor is more massive. their games are completely different. Olajuwan had unique skills for a big man. Okafor has typical skills for a big man except that his skills are very perfected, soft hands and good foot work, but nothing fancy. Extremely solid but not a freak athlete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom