I think Rutgers is the big winner here, the losers are the Maryland fans! | Syracusefan.com

I think Rutgers is the big winner here, the losers are the Maryland fans!

Shermthegeneral

Starter
From what I can tell, a majority of the Maryland fans don't like this move at all! There closest away game would be in New Jersey and forget about having the league championship close to you ever again for basketball! For Rutgers, I have to say that they are the huge winners here and I think the state of New Jersey wins too! I live in NJ about an hour from RU and I'm pretty excited to have my kids be able to go to our state school and it be a part of the Big 10. Having Michigan, OSU, MSU, and PSU on the schedule is huge for them.

Do u realize that with 8 or 9 conf games you will see michigan at home once every 4 yrs-- and wouldnt shock me if they make you play that game at the meadowlands

Rutgers hit the powerball and good for them! They will be happy there and they will be doormats in their division but its better than the big east. We made our move they made theirs. Not going to cry, pout or wish for another league. Let the dominoes fall as they may, SU will be fine in the end.

I think that's right.

Rutgers is the winner.

The MD fans are the losers - no more ACC BB. No more ACC lacrosse. No more ACC soccer. Exciting away games to Iowa and Nebraska and annual battles with Indiana University for king cellar dweller.

I hope the school goes bankrupt.

The Maryland fans don't like this for a multitude of reasons but one big one is that it is essentially the death to their other sports teams like wrestling, lacrosse, etc.

From what I can tell, a majority of the Maryland fans don't like this move at all! There closest away game would be in New Jersey and forget about having the league championship close to you ever again for basketball! For Rutgers, I have to say that they are the huge winners here and I think the state of New Jersey wins too! I live in NJ about an hour from RU and I'm pretty excited to have my kids be able to go to our state school and it be a part of the Big 10. Having Michigan, OSU, MSU, and PSU on the schedule is huge for them.
They won't have Michigan and OSU and MSU and PSU on the schedule at the same time. That's the rub.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer ran a story today which basically took to task this new expansion from a Buckeye's perspective. Here's an excerpt (emphasis mine):

For Ohio State fans, players, coaches, alumni and students, what's the cost of playing fewer games against Nebraska, Northwestern or Iowa in football? How much is losing a men's basketball game against Michigan State worth? Against Indiana or Wisconsin or Michigan?
Because that's what's being sold in this deal. However many millions more are being taken in each season, Ohio State could be selling two of its eight conference football games against current Big Ten foes, and two or three or four of its current men's basketball games.
I'll give you Tom Izzo at East Lansing; a trip to Chicago for the Northwestern football game; all those passionate Iowa fans invading Columbus with the football team they live for; one of those times that Bo Ryan brings the Badgers to Columbus for another "Deal With It" hoops game; and a Penn State basketball game we can live without for . . . a football game each with Maryland and Rutgers, three basketball games with the Terrapins and Scarlet Knights and $10 million per year.
No one in the Big Ten cares about Maryland and Rutgers men's basketball or football, though. And no matter how many times you say it, Rutgers isn't in New York.

Sure, Rutgers is going to get a schedule upgrade. There's no doubt about that. The Buckeyes and Badgers may come calling in Piscataway instead of South Florida and UConn. But with the divisional setup, much like the ACC, the teams in the other division will show up only once a decade or so at home.

They better hope they win out this year, because they will be an east coast Indiana before you know it, and they'll never sniff the BCS again. With this change, they'll be back to being a tomato can in no time.

Do u realize that with 8 or 9 conf games you will see michigan at home once every 4 yrs-- and wouldnt shock me if they make you play that game at the meadowlands
So the big downside for Rutgers is instead of playing Michigan on campus, they play them 45 min away at the meadowlands, where they used to play some home games anyways, and in a stadium that will be easier for many of their metro area fans to get to?

sure its a huge win for rutgers -- but keep in mind that when they play teams like michigan at home -- they might be out numbered

Rutgers 2011: $8 million in Big East and total rights/marketing revenue

Rutgers 2018: $43 million in Big Ten television revenue according to estimates released today by Maryland in researching the move

It's a rags-to-riches story

Like it or not, Rutgers wins regardless of how they perform.
Its not like they'll be falling off some grand pedestal, they've ALWAYS sucked.
Now they just get paid more to suck...bully for them!

Rutgers 2011: $8 million in Big East and total rights/marketing revenue

Rutgers 2018: $43 million in Big Ten television revenue according to estimates released today by Maryland in researching the move

It's a rags-to-riches story
They will still be a tomato can, compared to their new conference mates. A rich tomato can, but one nonetheless. If the Nitts can't make it work in the B1G, no way RU does. Rutgirls will eventually become this B1G version of this year's Tennessee and Auburn SEC entries. Schedule FCS, service academies and MAC (losses) out of conference, and win 1-2 games a year in conference. A .500 year will be their upside. But hey, they will always have that one Thursday night to remember.

Here it comes.....its back!

58d6dcda-0ab0-11df-a6e5-001cc4c002e0.image.jpg

One thing I think a lot of people forget about Rutgers is that they are in one of the best recruiting States in the country. In the past few years they've been pulling a lot of four and five star recruits In the big east. If they continue on their upward trend The sleeping giant really might come to life.

I think that's right.

Rutgers is the winner.

The MD fans are the losers - no more ACC BB. No more ACC lacrosse. No more ACC soccer. Exciting away games to Iowa and Nebraska and annual battles with Indiana University for king cellar dweller.

sorry orangepa,the big loser here is su. any chance that we had to re-estabish recruiting is severely diminished ---and virtually eliminates us from getting back in nj.

sorry orangepa,the big loser here is su. any chance that we had to re-estabish recruiting is severely diminished ---and virtually eliminates us from getting back in nj.

Well, yes, this hurts and this is why I wanted the BE to keep Rutgers and UConn in the status quo.

I cannot, however, go as far as you are going - I do not think this "eliminates" us from NJ recruiting.

With the progress we are making, I think we can compete in NJ.

But, it will remain a real challenge.

One thing I think a lot of people forget about Rutgers is that they are in one of the best recruiting States in the country. In the past few years they've been pulling a lot of four and five star recruits In the big east. If they continue on their upward trend The sleeping giant really might come to life.
They definitely positioned themselves well for this move. And they may not be as bad off as some think. I could see them mid pack Big 10, maybe a little higher than that depending on their ability lock up the nj kids. But that's football only, the rest of their sports will probably continue to suck.

They definitely positioned themselves well for this move. And they may not be as bad off as some think. I could see them mid pack Big 10, maybe a little higher than that depending on their ability lock up the nj kids. But that's football only, the rest of their sports will probably continue to suck.
the rest will get better as time goes on---maybe not great but better----i'll bet jim b. is paying attention---he does not look back, only forward

the rest will get better as time goes on---maybe not great but better----i'll bet jim b. is paying attention---he does not look back, only forward
I'd say they may bring the Big East brand of basketball with them, but they never really played that style to begin with so . . . .

I think that's right.

Rutgers is the winner.

Rutgers was selected solely because of the number of cable subscribers in NJ.

They don't have the resources or the fan base or the tradition to compete in the B1G.

This was a huge long-term error for Maryland. They were forced into it to balance their books.

Rutgers pulled a Cosmo Kramer and fell bass ackwards into the $$$$. Their geography finally paid off...after 100+ years.

When I read the title of this thread 'Rutgers big winner', all I could think of was 'jumbo shrimp'.

Using "Rutgers" and "winners" in the same sentence is an oxymoron.

Rememeber, parents want to watch their kids play. NJ parents aren't going to travel all over the midwest to watch games. This might even hurt Rutgers in recruiting.

The Washington Post is showing tweet from Maryland fans over the weekend. There are some really unhappy campers. It's truly sad. Rutgers on the other hand hit the jackpot, so I think their fans will be very happy. Here's the link to the Post story:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...yland-athlete-and-media-alums-on-the-big-ten/

The Washington Post is showing tweet from Maryland fans over the weekend. There are some really unhappy campers. It's truly sad. Rutgers on the other hand hit the jackpot, so I think their fans will be very happy. Here's the link to the Post story:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...yland-athlete-and-media-alums-on-the-big-ten/

Rutgirls hit the jackpot from a financial standpoint so they don't have to pilfer the state or student fund to balance their athletic budget. As to football they went from an above average team in a weak conference to a one of the b10 pushovers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom