I think Rutgers is the big winner here, the losers are the Maryland fans! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I think Rutgers is the big winner here, the losers are the Maryland fans!

So the big downside for Rutgers is instead of playing Michigan on campus, they play them 45 min away at the meadowlands, where they used to play some home games anyways, and in a stadium that will be easier for many of their metro area fans to get to?

They don't make Northwestern play at Soldier. Why would Rutgers play at MetLife?

Now that right there is funny.

Well, I'm certainly not a Rutgers fan, just passing along the information.

But they had a top 25 class this past recruiting year.

To be honest, I wondered for years why Rutgers kept underachieving.

It really did take them almost 100 years to reach this point.

I believe Rutgers will definitely see an upswing in their recruiting the next couple of years, but if they don't show they can compete at least middle of the pack, they'll have a tough time maintaining that initial boost.

Cheers,
Neil

I believe Rutgers will definitely see an upswing in their recruiting the next couple of years, but if they don't show they can compete at least middle of the pack, they'll have a tough time maintaining that initial boost.

Cheers,
Neil

This. Short term big boost. Long term (4+ years) when Rutgers is still looking for its first non-Indiana Big 10 win in football the recruits won't give a crap about the Big 10. Rutgers had to do this and its a win all around as it will return their football to their historical place. Maryland? Don't get it. Short term knee jerk reaction by people who won't have to deal with the downfall of all their athletic programs.

Rutgirls hit the jackpot from a financial standpoint so they don't have to pilfer the state or student fund to balance their athletic budget. As to football they went from an above average team in a weak conference to a one of the b10 pushovers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

This is true. And as I posted in another thread, the Big Ten looks at both Rutgers and Maryland as a collection of cable boxes. The Big Ten is operating as a TV network rather than an Athletic Conference at the moment. This is not the recipe for collegial competition and the fun of the games. I don't expect Maryland or Rutgers to be treated all that well in their new home. They have nothing in common with their conference brethren as Penn State has found out.

I don't think this is the case with the ACC. I truly think the ACC is trying to build the East Coast Conference, and is trying to build geographic cohesion as well as cultural cohesion.

If Coach K is worried about the stability of the ACC, then we should all be.
ACC needs to sign a GOR or at the very least, stick to their guns on the $50 million.
Thats the only option left.

This. Short term big boost. Long term (4+ years) when Rutgers is still looking for its first non-Indiana Big 10 win in football the recruits won't give a crap about the Big 10. Rutgers had to do this and its a win all around as it will return their football to their historical place. Maryland? Don't get it. Short term knee jerk reaction by people who won't have to deal with the downfall of all their athletic programs.
this is silly. Rutgers was recruiting well in the Big East for cripes sake - and Northwestern can compete in the Big10. This is a conference with a lot of crappy/ok teams in it and a couple badasses. Rutgers isn't beating OSU any time soon, but they will certainly be able to compete in that average conference.

Well, yes, this hurts and this is why I wanted the BE to keep Rutgers and UConn in the status quo.

I cannot, however, go as far as you are going - I do not think this "eliminates" us from NJ recruiting.

With the progress we are making, I think we can compete in NJ.

But, it will remain a real challenge.

What this does is just opens up PSU/UMD/tOSU/Michigan/MSU to poaching more NJ recruits...sadly it opens up NYC too. I'm sure other coaches are noticing guys like Bromley and Reddish are pretty damn good players.

Countermove: We'll have to invite UConn into the ACC to help shore up the CT suburbs and Westchester/Putnam/Dutchess/Orange counties into ACC territory. I still say a 15/16 right now is the only move the ACC can make. Add UL and UConn.

What type of market does Louisville add? I'd love to have them in the ACC but other than adding another state viewer ship wise what is added?

The Big 10 was getting good kids from the east coast anyway.

Maybe Loh and Anderson just stink at their jobs. Programs like UNC and UVa aren't bankrupt.

What type of market does Louisville add? I'd love to have them in the ACC but other than adding another state viewer ship wise what is added?
Much like SU their strongest fan base is 60-90 miles around the city...but they offer great facilities, a good fan base and the only FB team left out there that is above the ACC median in strength.

Much like SU their strongest fan base is 60-90 miles around the city...but they offer great facilities, a good fan base and the only FB team left out there that is above the ACC median in strength.

I was hoping you were going to say they are a bigger draw as there is no doubt they have some funds to back them up. I'm rooting hard for the Cards/Huskies and the Irish to make this a top flight conference. The coach K quote worries me though and I'd venture a guess that he knows more than a lot of us do.

you have to wonder if RU's ability to get kids from FLA will have taken a shot with this move too

the only question that's really important about who you add at this point is how much more $$ would ESPN pony up if you add someone. The Big10 is throwing around ridiculous #s right now thanks to that crappy network that has never had a program on it that I would want to watch - and yet people have it crammed down their throats as part of their cable package.

You can debate fanbase, quality of football program, market size, etc all you want, but the bottom line is that if ESPN won't increase their payment based on that addition - then some schools are always going to be looking for a better deal to keep up with the Big10 schools and their crappy ass network.

the only question that's really important about who you add at this point is how much more $$ would ESPN pony up if you add someone. The Big10 is throwing around ridiculous #s right now thanks to that crappy network that has never had a program on it that I would want to watch - and yet people have it crammed down their throats as part of their cable package.

You can debate fanbase, quality of football program, market size, etc all you want, but the bottom line is that if ESPN won't increase their payment based on that addition - then some schools are always going to be looking for a better deal to keep up with the Big10 schools and their crappy ass network.

The ESPN has to be worried that the Big10 takes their teams away from the F.A.M.I.L.Y.

Paying the ACC a tad more to keep more from bolting is in their interest.

Rememeber, parents want to watch their kids play. NJ parents aren't going to travel all over the midwest to watch games. This might even hurt Rutgers in recruiting.
wow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom