I think this years offense has the potential to be vastly improved | Syracusefan.com

I think this years offense has the potential to be vastly improved

storange

2023 Cali Award Rushing Touchdowns
- Faster
- experienced tough QB
- more depth and speed at WR
- experience at Oline
- excellent RBs and depth there as well.

9-3 Im confident

The D should be as good despite a couple of big holes to fill ( Spruill, Bromley )
Bring it on

I am expecting a decent increase in offensive production as well. Returning 4 very experienced lineman, along with an experienced 5th starter can't be understated, especially how well they performed last season. Hunt should only get better as the offense continues to slow down for him. No coincidence he got better later in the season when Brisly got involved allowing Broyld to go to the outside. Having more then 1 guy on the field that can get separation helps. We just need someone like Quinta or possibly even Flemming to emerge as another threat. Running backs speak for themselves, and as much as i liked Smith i like Morris even more.

So yes anything other then a pretty significant increase in offensive production would be a pretty big disappointment.

I agree.

Also, backup QBs with potential. Not so confident about 9-3, that would be my at the top of my expectation range.

- Faster
- experienced tough QB
- experience at Oline

9-3 Im confident

The D should be as good despite a couple of big holes to fill ( Spruill, Bromley )
Bring it on

I believe the O is going to take one of the biggest steps forward that any of us have seen in many years. Hunt is going to be head and shoulders above what he was last year which is the foundation. I actually do not see one position that will not be equal or better than last years team on O. Most will be significantly improved. Our second team on O will not even be close they will be so much better it wont even be close.

But the biggest improvement will come from the coaching staff. I think that Mc and Lester are really going to step it up. All in all i expect this to be a very dynamic O

Fluctuating between the numbers we put up against Tulane and BC is a good goal for next year. BC numbers were the best last season.

BC
270 yds passing / 2 td / 29 0f 43 / 67.4 pct
210 yds rushing / 2 td / 51 att / 4.1 avg
25 first downs
5 penalties for 34 yds
1 turnovers

Tulane
206 yds passing / 4 td / 19 0f 26 / 73.1 pct
199 yds rushing / 3 td / 44 att / 4.5 avg
30 first downs
7 penalties for 38 yds
0 turnovers

- Faster
- experienced tough QB
- experience at Oline

9-3 Im confident

Bring it on

I agree with the analysis, but a 9-3 record will be tough.

Tough schedule -- a couple of teams we beat in 2013 will be better this time around, and we will be big underdogs against the top of the ACC.

Sure, offense will be better. McDonald has a year under his belt as OC; we have a returning QB who was MVP in a bowl win; we have Estime in a role from opening day; speed and depth at RB. Lots to like at every other position. Improvements everywhere except C.

Tough schedule -- a couple of teams we beat in 2013 will be better this time around, and we will be big underdogs against the top of the ACC.

Sure, offense will be better. McDonald has a year under his belt as OC; we have a returning QB who was MVP in a bowl win; we have Estime in a role from opening day; speed and depth at RB. Lots to like at every other position. Improvements everywhere except C.

Agreed. We're going to get off to a better start this year, but the schedule isn't advantageous in the middle.

I expect improvement across the board, though. Not sure about 9-3, but I think that people projecting us toward the bottom of the ACC are in for a surprise.

Agree except I'm a little worried about the depth at qb and OL. The talent is there at those positions but step in and take over depth is not.

Dont be surprised if we improve at Center as well. I know that Mac was a fab player for us and i have fallen on my sword over him but according to what we are hearing " Listen to the MacDonald interview" Trudo will end up playing center in the NFL

kcsu said:
Dont be surprised if we improve at Center as well. I know that Mac was a fab player for us and i have fallen on my sword over him but according to what we are hearing " Listen to the MacDonald interview" Trudo will end up playing center in the NFL

Trudo is better than Mac. He will play in the NFL.

I think we're heading for another 6-6 or 7-5 kind of year. This team just doesn't seem to have that buzz of come-out-of-nowhere around them yet. I think 2015 is the year.

Bees if we stay healthy this looks to be as strong an Oline that we have had in 5 or more years. Depth looks solid as well. Im hoping that both of the frosh can RS.

I suspect we will be better at center this fall.

LeMoyneCuse said:
I think we're heading for another 6-6 or 7-5 kind of year. This team just doesn't seem to have that buzz of come-out-of-nowhere around them yet. I think 2015 is the year.

I have no idea of what you're saying. You can't come out of nowhere if you have buzz...

If you're relying on media to gauge buzz - it will be a long wait. The ESPN bloggers have under predicted our performance for about 5 years running.

I hear what you are saying as 2015 being our year as I have had that pegged for a couple years now as our "break out" year. But I still think anything less then 7 regular season wins will be a disappointment. As tough as our schedule is we have a few things going for us.

Nova & CMU - Must wins
Maryland will be much better but we have them at home so should win
ND will be tough, but not like it's unrealistic
FSU Loss
@Wake will be tough, but we are the better team talent wise top to bottom
Clemson I can't see us winning even though Clemson won't be nearly as good
NC ST & Duke at home you have to win. NC ST will be really young, and Duke won't be anywhere as good and are a bit over rated
@Pitt &BC it seems we always have trouble with Pitt. Obviously a winnable game, plus we are coming off a bye. BC is huge and looks to have really worked out to our favor. They could be down to using walk ons by then and a get me through this year qb. We should be able to win that.

I can easily see 8 wins in here. I'd be very disappointed if we only reach 6 wins, and I just don't see it.

That would be very dissapointing.

I think that Morris and McFarlane teaming up with Hunt and PTG is plenty of "buzz".

Trudo has ideal size for an NFL center and the physical mindset and talent to accompany those measurables. Will be interesting to see how he fares this season and next. I've heard good things so far, but need to see it in a live game.

And the QB throwing a catchable ball and the WR actually catching it. ;)

Lester has worked diligently with Hunt in the offseason on squaring up his throws. Hunt has the elusiveness that we need at QB and is hard to tackle on first contact, but he needs to improve on his overall decision-making, read progression and throwing technique. The offseason appears to be paying off so far... good news is that still have 4 more months until summer ball kicks off. Hunt will be our starter for 2014 and 2015, no question IMO.

I think that Morris and McFarlane teaming up with Hunt and PTG is plenty of "buzz".

This year we have the 3-headed monster at RB (PTG, DMC and GMII). PTG has been very good for us and certainly has the big play potential, but I LOVE M&M. Morris is a ridiculous runner and has the vision to shoot through the 1st level and the burst to get past the 2nd level. DMC also has the speed, but I see him as a better screen RB at this point. Who knows how everything will shakeout, but I see PTG and Morris handling most of the carries, with DMC frequently being lined up in the slot or moved into the flats. Just my opinion. Even with the departure of Smith which is a big loss, these 3 seem to fill the void with potential and improved speed and quickness. We shall see. My favorite position this year.

Won't believe it until I see WRs getting open on a consistent basis.

Will be the #1 challenge for this year's team, as everyone knows. Once the newbies join the team in the summer, I think it will make for great competition. At this point, my sleeper is Cornelius. I think we could very well see Ishmael, Enoicy, Custis or KJ thrown into the mix at some point, but picking up the playbook is a challenge. If one or two is truly worthy of PT, McD will have plays specifically drawn up for them. Good news is that this year is truly wide open, there is no loyalty to any of the PTer's in the past. Really need West to step up and not only be a great scrimmage player. This could be the year we finally get to see Quinda Funderburger (shoutout to B1G Network) let loose. Keep an eye on Avant and Winfield. Avant is another slot and Winfield has a sick vert. Broyld, Estime, AC, West, Flemming and Funder are certainly at the top right now though. I don't expect to see things greatly shaken up, but who knows. McD will play whoever gives us the best chance to win.

I've been off the board for awhile, but it's fun as hell to talk some SU Football again... LGO!!!

SmilinBob said:
Agree except I'm a little worried about the depth at qb and OL. The talent is there at those positions but step in and take over depth is not.
not many programs have that anyway

Trudo has ideal size for an NFL center and the physical mindset and talent to accompany those measurables. Will be interesting to see how he fares this season and next. I've heard good things so far, but need to see it in a live game.

Lester has worked diligently with Hunt in the offseason on squaring up his throws. Hunt has the elusiveness that we need at QB and is hard to tackle on first contact, but he needs to improve on his overall decision-making, read progression and throwing technique. The offseason appears to be paying off so far... good news is that still have 4 more months until summer ball kicks off. Hunt will be our starter for 2014 and 2015, no question IMO.

This year we have the 3-headed monster at RB (PTG, DMC and GMII). PTG has been very good for us and certainly has the big play potential, but I LOVE M&M. Morris is a ridiculous runner and has the vision to shoot through the 1st level and the burst to get past the 2nd level. DMC also has the speed, but I see him as a better screen RB at this point. Who knows how everything will shakeout, but I see PTG and Morris handling most of the carries, with DMC frequently being lined up in the slot or moved into the flats. Just my opinion. Even with the departure of Smith which is a big loss, these 3 seem to fill the void with potential and improved speed and quickness. We shall see. My favorite position this year.

Will be the #1 challenge for this year's team, as everyone knows. Once the newbies join the team in the summer, I think it will make for great competition. At this point, my sleeper is Cornelius. I think we could very well see Ishmael, Enoicy, Custis or KJ thrown into the mix at some point, but picking up the playbook is a challenge. If one or two is truly worthy of PT, McD will have plays specifically drawn up for them. Good news is that this year is truly wide open, there is no loyalty to any of the PTer's in the past. Really need West to step up and not only be a great scrimmage player. This could be the year we finally get to see Quinda Funderburger (shoutout to B1G Network) let loose. Keep an eye on Avant and Winfield. Avant is another slot and Winfield has a sick vert. Broyld, Estime, AC, West, Flemming and Funder are certainly at the top right now though. I don't expect to see things greatly shaken up, but who knows. McD will play whoever gives us the best chance to win.

I've been off the board for awhile, but it's fun as hell to talk some SU Football again... LGO!!!
I am probably one of the few that think most or all the incoming WR's are gonna redshirt. I think maybe one will not. I dont think people realize how hard it is to come in during the summer and crack the line up by the fall. I think its a combination of our WR's improvement and the learning curve of the incoming WR's. If the staff feel like they have a freshman who can bring a different skill set and help this season then you will see them on the field. But if they don't, they will be redshirted. We have alot of WR's graduating or running out of eligibility this year and the next. West, Flemming, Kobena, Hale, this year and Ashton and QF the following year. IMO you want Ishmael and KJ going into their RF when Ashton and QF are seniors. PLus we dont know what we are going to get out of Custis and Enoicy. Those two may very well be playing the same position as the other two. All Im saying is lets not waste a year of eligibility with this talented WR group if we dont have to.