I think you are about to see espn pull back | Syracusefan.com

I think you are about to see espn pull back

D

dash-30-dash

on the story. I believe they were taken back at the vigor that Syracuse has defended themseleves. I would have to believe that they are beginning to doubt their own story. Would not surprise me to see PTI show more reservations.

Agree Dash, I have discussed this with quite a few people this AM, there isn't anybody of any influence who feel their is much validity to this. Should be interesting

I'm definitely interested to see what around the horn and PTI say later today... wonder if they were warned by ESPN about what not to say

Considering how much Kornheiser and Wilbon love JB, I fully expect them to be very levelheaded when talking about the situation.

I listened to Tony Kornheiser's radio show earlier today. He has a daily segment with one of PTI's producers that's basically a preview of what PTI's topics will be.

I'm going off memory here, but I recall the producer said he wasn't even sure they'd talk about the Fine case because he has a lot of questions about the story.

Gottlieb has serious reservations. Cowherd was asking him about the OK State situation and he is very distraught about that, very sad situation. The he asked about Fine. This gets complicated...apparently Gottlieb's mother's roomate in college dated Bernie Fine. His mother has known him for almost 50 years, his father has known Bernie for 40 years and they have all remained friends over the years. Gottlieb stated he was torn between flat not believing it, and wanting to believe that the mother ship he works for would not report something like this without having the facts to back it up.

I need to get away from this story. I'm thinking the only way this really goes away is not when the SPD announces they are dropping the investigation due to statute of limitations and no recent corraboration, because that is going to happen soon. this won't go away until one of Davis's other family members comes out and unravels one of the "facts" he is throwing out. i think that might happen also.

Maybe all that Orange hatred that Gottleib spews out is rooted in the fact that his mom was bent over by Bernie Fine....

...who knew?
just to clarify for gutter mind boy...it was his mother's roomate, not his mother that dated Bernie.

Now the resentment over not being offered at Syracuse makes even more sense given the familial relationship with Fine.

I think the Gottleib hating SU thing has always been overblown. He's a smart guy. I am not surprised that after reading about this story, that he is skeptical.

Maybe all that Orange hatred that Gottleib spews out is rooted in the fact that his mom was bent over by Bernie Fine....

...who knew?

just to clarify for gutter mind boy...it was his mother's roomate, not his mother that dated Bernie.

Who says my original comment still doesn't hold true?

HEY-OH!

I think ESPN is about to pay for our new football practice facility and possibly more.

Wish in one hand and....ah, you know how it goes.

This story is not going away.

One of my roommates at SU is a lawyer so I texted him asking if he thinks Bernie would have a case; his thoughts are that ESPN has two "sources," they waited until they had corroboration to report on it, and it's impossible to prove ESPN knew that the allegations are false, so he doesn't believe the case has a lot of legs.

He's a smart guy, working for a pretty high profile law firm, so I take his opinion on this very seriously.

Just throwing it out there with all of the talk of lawsuits. It definitely sucks if he can't sue ESPN, but at least if proven false he can likely take action against Davis.

Step 1 for ESPN: Fire Mark Schwartz for his lack of professionalism and his abundance of douchebaggery.

One of my roommates at SU is a lawyer so I texted him asking if he thinks Bernie would have a case; his thoughts are that ESPN has two "sources," they waited until they had corroboration to report on it, and it's impossible to prove ESPN knew that the allegations are false, so he doesn't believe the case has a lot of legs.

He's a smart guy, working for a pretty high profile law firm, so I take his opinion on this very seriously.

Just throwing it out there with all of the talk of lawsuits. It definitely sucks if he can't sue ESPN, but at least if proven false he can likely take action against Davis.

It's going to be hard for Bernie to prove that the allegations are false, much less prove that not only are they false, but that ESPN knew they were false when they reported them. Not sure what the cause of action is, but Bernie's a public figure so I think ESPN gets more leeway than if it were the average Joe.

Yeah, my brother went to SU law school, too (always forget that since he's not practicing law), and he agrees with my old roommate.

Well what you have to do is to get a solid reporter that DOES NOT work for ESPN who interviews these scumbags and dissects their story like we have. By pointing out all the blatant contradictions, inconsistencies and violations of common sense you have to get these schleps to admit that they lied. It is the ONLY way to clear Bernie. No matter how little evidence there is, as long as these idiots insist they're not lying this will never die ... and sadly Bernie would have to resign purely out of respect for the program, because his mere presence would devastate recruiting. No parent in their right mind would send their kid to play for a coach that has even the slightest chance of being a pedophile.

Step 1 for ESPN: Fire Mark Schwartz for his lack of professionalism and his abundance of douchebaggery.

Fire him for the 'King of Syracuse' comment alone.

Fire him for the 'King of Syracuse' comment alone.

That right there let you know he didn't source his material. Bernie the "King of Syracuse" really?

The front page headline now says:

'Chancellor vows to find truth'

That is significantly different than having 'Syracuse sex scandal' in headline.

Would love to see the internal ESPN politics of this story right now.

The question IMO is not that they went to air with this. It is that they did zero checking of facts and then reported the story as fact. There is a reason that people in the media say allegedly all the time. It is to CYA. Even in cases where it is obvious the accused is guilty. They did not do that here in a questionable at best case. Also the fact that they didn't break the story in 2003 has to hurt as well.

Sure doesn't seem they are pulling back after hearing this OTL piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom