I think you gotta give this guy | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I think you gotta give this guy

They were 20 pt dogs on the road on a super cold night w cam dantley at qb.

It was a higher degree of difficulty.

Charlie Weis on life support, not the #1 team in the country.

If you keep Shafer you need to give a one year extension. Otherwise fire him and realize the competition for a replacement is overwhelming. Too many better P5 football HC jobs are open and more to follow. I do not envy Coyle's decision.

They were 20 pt dogs on the road on a super cold night w cam dantley at qb.

It was a higher degree of difficulty.
Your out of your mind! Clemson is the number one team in the country. Nd wasn't very good and had a bad coach. Not even close. Give credit where it's due. Shafer and the team had a great game today against a great program

This is the guy who was happy to sit on 17 points at the half - no, apparently he didn't want to score again and was happy to let the clock run out (but he doesn't like to teach the kids to be quitters...).

He's the one who gets a 15-yard penalty, something we almost never see from a coach.

He's the wrong guy. Tonight was fun for us fans, but it didn't change anything.

If you keep Shafer you need to give a one year extension. Otherwise fire him and realize the competition for a replacement is overwhelming. Too many better P5 football HC jobs are open and more to follow. I do not envy Coyle's decision.
The prospective candidate pool is much, much deeper than the 20 or so names that get mentioned over and over on this board.

This is the guy who was happy to sit on 17 points at the half - no, apparently he didn't want to score again and was happy to let the clock run out (but he doesn't like to teach the kids to be quitters...).

He's the one who gets a 15-yard penalty, something we almost never see from a coach.

Come on. Walk on 5th string. Taking the knee was the smart call. As for the penalty I'm betting 75% of the people on this forum are okay with it after those three bad officiating blown calls. Everyone in my section was cheering shafer on after he tossed his hat. Is was right in front of us. There are plenty of things the anti shafer guys and pull from but those aren't them. He coached a very good game today against a very good team. Our players came to played and where coached up

This was GROBS ND game. Passionate play but changes nothing. If anything our talent is not The issue. I don't say that doubting today's plan. It was a great effort.

Great job by the staff getting them up for it.

NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THAT.

Weiss was fired after that year. Massively underachieving Notre Lame team. Clemson is #1 in the country.

There are two sides to every game - sometimes you look better when the competition plays lousy. A lot of people thought we were a lock for 6 wins after LSU ... we've lost every game since. We didn't get Clemson's or LSU's best - we are the 2nd worst team in the ACC.

All empirical evidence (based on 10 games) says the team will get shellacked next weekend and be 50/50 with BC, regardless of the "effort" or "good-lookingess" of today.

Come on. Walk on 5th string. Taking the knee was the smart call. As for the penalty I'm betting 75% of the people on this forum are okay with it after those three bad officiating blown calls. Everyone in my section was cheering shafer on after he tossed his hat. Is was right in front of us. There are plenty of things the anti shafer guys and pull from but those aren't them. He coached a very good game today against a very good team. Our players came to played and where coached up

He's got a lot to be pleased with - and I hope he's able to take a moment and appreciate that.

But it's one thing after another with him. You virtually never see a coach take a penalty, but he got one tonight (bad call or not - and it seemed like the ACC was doing its darndest to keep the #1 team undefeated).

I don't always agree with taking a knee, but it really flies in the face of his asinine "I teach kids life lessons and I don't teach quitting" soundbite after the Pitt game.

He's got a lot to be pleased with - and I hope he's able to take a moment and appreciate that.

But it's one thing after another with him. You virtually never see a coach take a penalty, but he got one tonight (bad call or not - and it seemed like the ACC was doing its darndest to keep the #1 team undefeated).

I don't always agree with taking a knee, but it really flies in the face of his asinine "I teach kids life lessons and I don't teach quitting" soundbite after the Pitt game.
all I'm saying is we need to cut him slack on certain things. If jb did that everyone would be cheering for a pay raise. Those refs needed a wake up call and shafer gave it to them.

a chance to see this through. A couple more years with his guys and I think we got something going. They coached their butts off and the kids played likewise.

See through...what?

He has only beaten one - 1 - P5 school after 2013.

Thank you, Wake Forrest.

If Coyle keeps him, I actually trust the reason. But we have not been saying the coaches coached their butts off after what should have been a win at UVA, what was a no-show at USF and what was squashed via the final 9+ minutes at home versus Pitt.

Goodness. He has been trying to see through what Marrone started and brought us down.

Clemson is not a peer school and this young team was in it against all our peer schools minus Ville. Shafer gets another year. They are close

Did I say Clemson was a peer school? Other than Wake Forest we have lost to all of our peer schools the last two years. Our record since last year is 6 - 15. Close games don't mean anything when you don't win ANY of them. They are nice pat on the @ss, make yourself feel better, give everyone a trophy, excuses.

As others are saying, Shafer probably earned the right to coach his final contract year today if the bottom doesn't drop out against NC St or BC.

there were 30 seconds and we were on the 20 so we werent scoring with our limited passing attack

Based on the quality youth already in the program, and players expected next year, the program seems to be headed in the right direction. Tough to win at D1 level with a true freshman QB but the offense this year is markedly better. Lester has done a nice job. The option style gave Clemson fits. It helped reduce the obvious talent discrepancy between the two programs. The kids play hard for Shafer and the commitment is still there with the players. Don't want to go through more rebuilding years that will occur with expected departures.

The prospective candidate pool is much, much deeper than the 20 or so names that get mentioned over and over on this board.
Not if you are talking about a current head coach with a winning track record (and to narrow it down to those HC's that have resurrected a program) I will have to respectfully disagree. The pool is very small.

Grob won 5 games over his 4 year tenure. Shaf has won 13 over 3 years(with 2 games remaining)...We shouldnt even be comparing Shaf to Grob. Grob ranks as one of the worst college football head coaches ever.

If you account for the sanctions, then he won 5 games, but that's weak. He "officially" won 10 in 4 years. If you add a gimme sub-division game in 2005, and substitute one of the power conference OOC losses for a gimme 1-AA win in the other years, he has 14 wins. Shafer is GROB.

Not if you are talking about a current head coach with a winning track record (and to narrow it down to those HC's that have resurrected a program) I will have to respectfully disagree. The pool is very small.
So the current Wake Forest coach and, until 3 weeks ago, Al Golden, fit your criteria but say Mike Tomlin does not. There are lots of FBS, FCS and yes NFL background candidates out there, and Coyle gets paid the big bucks to find the right one.
I have to admit that I find it somewhat ironic that some of those arguing a limited candidate pool are in the camp of retaining SS, even though he would not meet their criteria or be a candidate for any other open P5 HC position.

Anyone can get their team up to play, when the number one team in the country is in your building. You have to look at the entire body of work when you are making your final judgement. The Uva game, the Usf game, getting blown out by Lville.

and that's just this year. 3 - 9 last year, GTech, etc.

texasorange said:
Agree with what you are saying here. I bet Coyle is waiting for a win or some other good news to justify an extension. He's been waiting too long!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom