I was hesitant to post this, but... | Syracusefan.com

I was hesitant to post this, but...

DCCuse

Tailgate Buffet Legend
Just heard a rumor this week and didn't want to post it til I verified this with an additional source (the first source is good, but wanted an additional confirmation) about possible new additions to the Olympic Sports on the Hill. Not sure of the time frame, but looks like the next two sports to be added will be Mens & Women's Wrestling programs. Obviously we have a great history in Men's Wrestling and there aren't many D1 Women's programs so probably can be very good there very quickly.

That sounds cool. Not quite men's hockey, but we can compete more here than in baseball

Just heard a rumor this week and didn't want to post it til I verified this with an additional source (the first source is good, but wanted an additional confirmation) about possible new additions to the Olympic Sports on the Hill. Not sure of the time frame, but looks like the next two sports to be added will be Mens & Women's Wrestling programs. Obviously we have a great history in Men's Wrestling and there aren't many D1 Women's programs so probably can be very good there very quickly.
According to this article only 17 colleges offer Women's wrestling and none are in Division One. I'm not saying your info is wrong but it sounds more far fetched. On the flip side, wrestling has to be a lot cheaper than a hockey team.
http://www.scholarshipstats.com/wrestling.html

Wrestling is an ACC sport, so that makes sense. Would think the women's sports added would be fencing/gymnastics to fit in the same way.

Needs to be baseball.

According to this article only 17 colleges offer Women's wrestling and none are in Division One. I'm not saying your info is wrong but it sounds more far fetched. On the flip side, wrestling has to be a lot cheaper than a hockey team.
http://www.scholarshipstats.com/wrestling.html
Given that SU already has ice, I looked at the scholarships available. 9.9 for men's wrestling, 18 for hockey, so the difference is likely at least $600k/year, just in scholarship money. Some (but how much) could be offset by attendance and by TV revenue, but I would guess not $600k.)

No one will go to baseball. They will attend hockey. They might also watch hockey on TV, but not baseball.
I'm wondering if the school had to make any promises to the ACC before joining. If that's the case, then you would think it would be baseball or wrestling.

I literally had no idea women's NCAA wrestling existed.

Capt. Tuttle said:
No one will go to baseball. They will attend hockey. They might also watch hockey on TV, but not baseball.

I don't even know what hockey is, but I would go to Syracuse baseball games. I love Syracuse , and I love baseball. Once they got good, which I think would be quickly, others would come too.

Look at Syracuse Crunch attendance and Syracuse Chiefs attendance and tell me if we're a hockey city or a baseball city.

The Crunch average 5,500-5,900 people a game while competing against SU Hoops.

The Chiefs ... not so much.

OrangeXtreme said:
Look at Syracuse Crunch attendance and Syracuse Chiefs attendance and tell me if we're a hockey city or a baseball city. The Crunch average 5,500-5,900 people a game while competing against SU Hoops. The Chiefs ... not so much.

Chiefs 246,000
Crunch 211,000

Baseball wins! :)

Last edited:
Coyle keeps talking about Men's Hockey and how big it could become and another womens sport. Is the womens softball team officially in a D-1 league as I think it was the womens sports he mentions.

I had heard him a few times talk about this and the last time was with Matt Park about an hour before kick-off the other night.

W. Softball competes in the ACC. Would have to be other sports.

As we say in the South... Not just No but Hell No.

If they are going to have another female sport it needs to be something that is competitive in the ACC. I believe the choices are Fencing, Golf, or Swim.

Golf would make sense, since our swimming pool was build before WWII.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom