I wish we had Clemson's offensive coordinator | Syracusefan.com

I wish we had Clemson's offensive coordinator

stuckinbig11

All American
Their mix of plays, especially in the first half, left our defense befuddled. We got set up and then burned. On the other side, even my wife was guessing what our first down play would be.

Give McDonald Clemson's players and you get the same result.

It's the players.
I know this is a drum you love to beat, but come on - it's not ALL the players.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Great kids but...

did you watch our wide receivers? They looked like children running around.

Great kids but...

did you watch our wide receivers? They looked like children running around.
Agreed. This is a discussion that goes way back though.

It's the players.
I agree, it was really just a difference in talent. This could be seen in the long TD pass that made it 42-14

you switch the rcvrs and i dont think the play calling would have helped him.

It's like watching Kevin Rogers with McNabb and then Kevin Rogers at ND...it's all about the talent. Keep recruiting coaches, we WILL get there!

Yesterday it was.

Those same pressures on a QB that led to sacks and incompletes against Big East opponents land in the hands of 4.3 burners on Clemson.

That wasn't BJ Daniels out there.

Our safeties must look like ass on tape. Clemson's first three plays were two plays designed to suck the safeties up, and then a seam pattern. Td.

Wash rinse repeat in the first half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

Our safeties must look like ass on tape. Clemson's first three plays were two plays designed to suck the safeties up, and then a seam pattern. Td.

Wash rinse repeat in the first half.

-
Like catching sunfish with worms.

After watching this team play against NW and Clemson, there is little doubt in my mind that it IS about talent. Yes, coaching is definitely part of that equation. And, IMO we still don't have enough evidence to know whether this staff is in over their head or not.

But...it was hard to watch the game yesterday, even through Orange colored glasses, and not see the absolute difference in talent on the field, even when they were just running around or covering kicks.

After watching this team play against NW and Clemson, there is little doubt in my mind that it IS about talent. Yes, coaching is definitely part of that equation. And, IMO we still don't have enough evidence to know whether this staff is in over their head or not.

But...it was hard to watch the game yesterday, even through Orange colored glasses, and not see the absolute difference in talent on the field, even when they were just running around or covering kicks.
Not arguing they didn't have more talent because they did, but Chad Morris and Chuck Bullough was the biggest talent mis match going yesterday. You have to at least put your players in position. I had no problem with Watkins running circles around Anderson that right there was talent, but at least he was in position. The other long passes were all defensive break downs. We were letting their receivers get running starts off the LOS and then try handing them off to flat footed safeties. It didn't work against northwestern and it certainly wasn't going to work against Clemson. We even said leading up to the game we weren't going to make any adjustments. I think next weeks matchup against NCSt should give us a much better picture of where things stand, but I have a bad feeling about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

It's the players.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It's mostly the talent, but not all coaches would get the same quality of play.

Their mix of plays, especially in the first half, left our defense befuddled. We got set up and then burned. On the other side, even my wife was guessing what our first down play would be.

You will probably get to watch him as HC at Southern Cal next year.

Not arguing they didn't have more talent because they did, but Chad Morris and Chuck Bullough was the biggest talent mis match going yesterday. You have to at least put your players in position. I had no problem with Watkins running circles around Anderson that right there was talent, but at least he was in position. The other long passes were all defensive break downs. We were letting their receivers get running starts off the LOS and then try handing them off to flat footed safeties. It didn't work against northwestern and it certainly wasn't going to work against Clemson. We even said leading up to the game we weren't going to make any adjustments. I think next weeks matchup against NCSt should give us a much better picture of where things stand, but I have a bad feeling about it.

I think our positions are more similar than not. I am not convinced that there are many DCs in the country who: 1. Can contain Clemson's O (they are loaded with playmakers). 2. Could effectively game plan against any top 30ish O given the poor play of our safeties in particular, teams finding and targeting the lack of coverage skills of Anderson and Lynch, and the general lack of speed and awareness on D.

On the other hand, check the numbers on Bullough at UCLA. They were Robinsoesque. And yes, I know there were other factors at play there.

It was at least 80% talent. Somehow our offensive coordinator that was great against Tulane, is horrible against Clemson? What is the only thing that changed in the last two weeks? The talent we played against. Our secondary has been out of position too much this year, with too many miscommunications, but that wasn't the whole story yesterday. Yesterday some of that could be attributed to the talent too. On their second touchdown (I think it was the second) the safety let their WR run free because he payed too much attention to Watkins.

It wasn't just their WR beating their secondary and their secondary beating our WR either. We have no speed at DE. Every pass rush looked like a bullrush with our front four only getting occasional penetration.

We know where we are, or at least where we aren't, and that's on Clemson's level. We've come a long way but have a long way to go.

Yeah 007, those UCLA numbers always worried me but you are right, Clemson and Northwestern have fantastic offenses and it's a harsh curve right now.

You really think USC would hire an assistant?

Yeah, I think Pat Hayden is a smart guy and in the PAC 12 offense rules. He also has cover. Washington's coach was an assistant at USC and Oregon promoted an assistant.

Yeah, I think Pat Hayden is a smart guy and in the PAC 12 offense rules. He also has cover. Washington's coach was an assistant at USC and Oregon promoted an assistant.

True but programs like USC don't usually hire OC/DC's...like ever. I see your point and it would be a bold move but I don't see it ever happening. They let the Washingtons take them and have them be their HC, see how they do... and then hire them away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom