I wish we had Clemson's offensive coordinator | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I wish we had Clemson's offensive coordinator

I could see USC going after Steve Sarkisian for sure, not sure if he would take it.

The USC job is the most interesting one to be filled this year - so far.

My position isn't that there wasn't a talent disparity, because we were clearly outmanned. Clemson knew exactly what to do against us on both sides of the ball. They had a talent advantage but also schemed that talent in to good position. They came out knowing exactly what they wanted to do and executed it. They knew exactly how to get that first wide open long TD. The attempted onside showed me they meant business. On our side, nobody can convince me that our guys looked ready. They were confused and a little disorganized. That's particularly disappointing given the bye week.

Yes, we have some talent problems. Yes, we have some scheme issues. The thing is, the talent is what it is. Our players probably won't get a whole lot better this season . The coaches hopefully can get smarter though and be better prepared to put the team in position to succeed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I could see USC going after Steve Sarkisian for sure, not sure if he would take it.

The USC job is the most interesting one to be filled this year - so far.

He was passed over before so I'm not sure he would...he'd be an excellent candidate for sure.

Our safeties must look like ass on tape. Clemson's first three plays were two plays designed to suck the safeties up, and then a seam pattern. Td.

Wash rinse repeat in the first half.

-
Oneil Scott all over again

My position isn't that there wasn't a talent disparity, because we were clearly outmanned. Clemson knew exactly what to do against us on both sides of the ball. They had a talent advantage but also schemed that talent in to good position. They came out knowing exactly what they wanted to do and executed it. They knew exactly how to get that first wide open long TD. The attempted onside showed me they meant business. On our side, nobody can convince me that our guys looked ready. They were confused and a little disorganized. That's particularly disappointing given the bye week.

Yes, we have some talent problems. Yes, we have some scheme issues. The thing is, the talent is what it is. Our players probably won't get a whole lot better this season . The coaches hopefully can get smarter though and be better prepared to put the team in position to succeed.

Three defensive time outs in the first sixteen minutes

Desir trotting out on third down to return a punt burned the first one seemingly unveiled the tone that the players were not focused anywhere as much as they should have been.

he would have to take a big cut in pay to come here even to be head coach, plus I'm sure he has a nice secret slush fund to make his job that much easier.

Talented receivers look that much more talented when nobody bothers covering them.

Nobody has been able to cover them with any consistency this year. The way to beat us is to get to Tajh. You won't keep the receivers covered.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It's mostly the talent, but not all coaches would get the same quality of play.

Lane Kiffin was a great offensive mind with Bush, Sanchez and Five Stars at every position at USC.

With 56 scholarship players he is a pretty mediocre OC.

Tom Flores, John Madden and John Rauch all won in Oakland (Rauch and Flores did nothing when they left) not because they were great coaches but because they all had the great Oakland talent.

Casey Stengel lost big as manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers and won big with the Yankess.

Bill Russell won as coach of the Celtics and lost big in Seattle and Sacramento.

You can come up with many more examples.

Obviously there are some coaches - very few I believe - who have more innate ability than others in terms of player evaluation, film review, player motivation, basic teaching of technique, and game time savvy, but for the most part it's the talent of the players that makes the difference.

The bigger, the stronger and the faster the players the better the coach coaches - it is far more simple than we want it to be perhaps but that's the reality.

And that's really the point on this board. We want to believe that all we have to do is get a "great" coach and we will win - quickly.

We all think about the days of Vince Lombardi who took over the lowly Packers and immediately made them winners and figure, hey, we can do the same thing with a great coach.

Well, the story of Lombardi's success in Green Bay was not as simple as it has appeared in books and articles and documentaries. And for a program like the Syracuse program, it's not going to be simple and it's not going to be quick.

The program has to be enhanced so that it can accumulate the kind of talent level that can compete with the likes of Clemson, FSU and the top line programs.

And that takes an intense commitment of money/time/investment.

I think it will happen but it will take time.

Last edited:
Lane Kiffen got bounced for a wide range of reasons, getting blasted was just the excuse.

It's like watching Kevin Rogers with McNabb and then Kevin Rogers at ND...it's all about the talent. Keep recruiting coaches, we WILL get there!
I'm not sure what you are saying here. Rogers' offenses enjoyed success at both SU and ND.

Lane Kiffin was a great offensive mind with Bush, Sanchez and Five Stars at every position at USC.

With 56 scholarship players he is a pretty mediocre OC.

Tom Flores, John Madden and John Rauch all won in Oakland (Rauch and Flores did nothing when they left) not because they were great coaches but because they all had the great Oakland talent.

Casey Stengel lost big as manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers and won big with the Yankess.

Bill Russell won as coach of the Celtics and lost big in Seattle and Sacramento.

You can come up with many more examples.

Obviously there are some coaches - very few I believe - who have more innate ability than others in terms of player evaluation, film review, player motivation and game time savvy, but for the most part it's the talent of the players that makes the difference.

The bigger, the stronger and the faster the players the better the coach coaches - it is far more simple than we want it to be perhaps but that's the reality.

And that's really the point on this board. We want to believe that all we have to do is get a "great" coach and we will win. Well, it's just not that simple and it's not that quick. The program has to be built so that the talent level can compete with the likes of Clemson, FSU and the top line programs.

And that takes an intense commitment - money.

Some players are better than others. Some coaches are better than others. Money makes it more likely you'll get the better ones of both, but doesn't guarantee it. It mostly buys reputations, some of which are warranted and others not.

Yup, pretty clear example.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Rogers' offenses enjoyed success at both SU and ND.

Was he Joe, I don't think ND fans remember that part being true.

Because after all it's fair to judge what you can do with a SR QB who is a Heisman candidate and a set of NFL talent level WR's vs a green QB who was starting his third game and a set of WR's that had only 1 receiver with NFL talent who has trouble catching at times.

How about you and I race cars? You get a Ford Focus and I get a Porsche 911 turbo. After I win, you can tell me how I'm so much better at strategy and driving than you are.

Last edited:
Was he Joe, I don't think ND fans remember that part being true.
Yea, even though the ND offense under Rogers broke the school single-season record for total passing yards and completions, that's not how the Irish faithful will remember him. Or the fans in Chestnut Hill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom