I wonder what happened today in the Presidents' meetings? | Syracusefan.com

I wonder what happened today in the Presidents' meetings?

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Both the Big East and Big 12 had meetings of their presidents today, if I recall correctly. It will be interesting to look for the leaks that are sure to emerge from those meetings. Things are not done yet.

SEC has the next move.

Then maybe the Big 12 grabs a couple schools to get to renegotiate their contract, too, just like Swofford's move to grab SU & Pitt permitted a renegotiation of the ESPN deal for the ACC.

SEC HAS to take someone. Thirteen just does not make sense, long term. Uneven divisions. Not stable. Who gets hit, ACC (less likely w/ $20M exit fee ...) or Big East - w/ really bad legal representation and lack of enforceable contract w/ TCU.

Big East will be done in the next several weeks as a BCS football conference, and the Big 12 will be preserved, although Texas will cause long-term problems with its own network.

Best scenario sees Big 12 going big, and taking the best of the Mountain West (Boise, BYU, TCU, Louisville, Cinci) to create a really good football conference, and not harm the hoops too badly. Only TCU and Boise State don't belong in that group, and are the obvious candidates to step up their programs by association.

This leaves the Big East as the left over conference, because of the stupid hoops programs. If the Big East can gobble up the left overs - E. Carolina, Central Florida, Memphis, Houston, Baylor - maybe they can keep a seat at the big table, if just to avoid anti-trust problems.

But that's what the future looks like. BTW, West Virginia to the SEC, not Va Tech or Fla State. And it's not a bad fit. WVU can compete in football, and improves basketball.

F WVU and their obnoxious smarter than everyone AD. Oliver Luck's ego is larger than life. WVU's fanbase is going to hurt them in the eyes of the SEC. LSU had a fan attacked and was in the hospital for injuries. I believe the SEC if Mizzou likely turns them down will look to either Clemson or Florida State. If that occurs the ACC would hopefully turn to anybody but WVU, UConn, or Rutgers and be done. I liked WVU and wished them tell their AD was a dbag yesterday and just BC is blackballing UConn and Calhoun their stupid marks at BC I hope Cantor and Dr. Gross don't forget Ollie Luck's statements.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ve-commissioner-ok-expand-big-east-conference

A source with knowledge of the meeting told ESPN.com's Andy Katz that the Big East did not issue any invitations Sunday. The source said a number of schools were discussed, including Navy, Army, Air Force, Temple, Central Florida and a new name in SMU, which would be a natural rival with TCU if the Horned Frogs honor the commitment to join the conference in 2012-13. All of these schools except Army and Navy would join the Big East for all sports.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ve-commissioner-ok-expand-big-east-conference

A source with knowledge of the meeting told ESPN.com's Andy Katz that the Big East did not issue any invitations Sunday. The source said a number of schools were discussed, including Navy, Army, Air Force, Temple, Central Florida and a new name in SMU, which would be a natural rival with TCU if the Horned Frogs honor the commitment to join the conference in 2012-13. All of these schools except Army and Navy would join the Big East for all sports.
SMU and Temple make the most sense right now. If Addazio keeps up his pace at Temple, he will be gone in a few years though. No way the current BE doesn't get poached again once everything starts moving again.

Thank God we're getting out of there.

F WVU and their obnoxious smarter than everyone AD. Oliver Luck's ego is larger than life. WVU's fanbase is going to hurt them in the eyes of the SEC. LSU had a fan attacked and was in the hospital for injuries. I believe the SEC if Mizzou likely turns them down will look to either Clemson or Florida State. If that occurs the ACC would hopefully turn to anybody but WVU, UConn, or Rutgers and be done. I liked WVU and wished them tell their AD was a dbag yesterday and just BC is blackballing UConn and Calhoun their stupid marks at BC I hope Cantor and Dr. Gross don't forget Ollie Luck's statements.

Not only attacked a fan but attacked his pregnant wife too.

What exactly did he say?
From Bees posting the interview can be seen on youtube as well.

WVU AD Luck: "we'll still play Pitt...every year in football and probably in basketball."
WVU AD Luck: "no discussions yet with Pitt folks."
WVU AD Luck: "we bring 25,000 to Pitt every year." Pitt "is not filling up Heinz Field on their own. They need us there."

WVU AD Luck: "I would trade Air Force & Navy for Syracuse football any day of the week."
WVU AD Luck: "nobody comes to watch Syracuse..." says losing that game won't hurt.

WVU AD Luck: "we'll still play Pitt...every year in football and probably in basketball."
WVU AD Luck: "we bring 25,000 to Pitt every year." Pitt "is not filling up Heinz Field on their own. They need us there."

WVU AD Luck: "I would trade Air Force & Navy for Syracuse football any day of the week."
WVU AD Luck: "nobody comes to watch Syracuse..." says losing that game won't hurt.

Thanks. I don't feel quite as bad for them now.

The only thing you have to know about yesterday's Big East meeting is that John Marinatto still has a job and he's being advised by Mike Tranghese. I know Luck talked smack about SU and Pitt but I still feel sympathy for our BE brethren who are stuck in that hybrid clusterf$ck with Marinatto at the helm. There can't be a happy outcome for those left behind.

This is the Oliver Luck "sour grapes" speech.

The good news for Oliver is that he'll get his wish. He is, in fact, trading some other school for Syracuse.

Here's my question. Is any schooll dumb enough to join the Big East without a rock-solid commitment on the part of the current schools to remain in the Big East?

If Navy were no interested in joining the Big East with SU and Pitt in it --- as we have heard in the past --- why are they now interested? I don't have the numbers, but I'm pretty sure Navy has historically played SU a lot more times than it has WVU, Rutges or UConn.

Every program the BE might invite is currently not in a BCS AQ conference. So moving to the BE is a step up, no matter how unstable the league may be. Plus, a move then brands each program as a "have" which means they're that much better positioned as other leagues expand/realign in the future. It's really a no-brainer. More money, more prestige, more options.

Every program the BE might invite is currently not in a BCS AQ conference. So moving to the BE is a step up, no matter how unstable the league may be. Plus, a move then brands each program as a "have" which means they're that much better positioned as other leagues expand/realign in the future. It's really a no-brainer. More money, more prestige, more options.

But that was true in the last few years during which Navy said they were not interested in joining the Big East. Maybe it's the oft-promised, but not yet concrete, "huge new TV deal".

I still gotta believe that no school with a currenly satisfactory position would join the NNBE unless they KNEW what schools were definitely in it. I agree that ECU and CFL and some others would join regardless.

If I'm Pitt, my response is this:

"Pitt play continue to play WVU if they agree to a 2 for 1 basis at Heinz Field. Since we apparently need their fans, we might as well get more tread from it. Otherwise we're cancelling any future series until Oliver Luck resigns. Notre Dame is on the schedule until 2015, and hopefully beyond, we'll be fine."

"Pitt play continue to play WVU if they agree to a 2 for 1 basis at Heinz Field. Since we apparently need their fans, we might as well get more tread from it. Otherwise we're cancelling any future series until Oliver Luck resigns. Notre Dame is on the schedule until 2015, and hopefully beyond, we'll be fine."

I like it. Once Luck agrees to the 2 for 1 then Pitt should say and the one will be at 3 rivers or whatever corporation they call it now.

Or ... We will play WVU only at Heinz Field until we can be assured that our fans will not receive the treatment afforded to the LSU people recently.

This has the potential to get ugly. UConn fans --- who are as best half as crazy as elements of the WVU crowd --- pelted BC student buses with bottles.

If WVU ends up on their feet, it won't be a problem. But if things get worse, I would not recommend SU fans travel to Morgantown. or Hartford or New Brunswick, NJ.

Twenty seven months of co-habitation with the Psycho Ditched Girlsfriends --- if that turns out to be what they are --- is untenable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom