I worry about Dungey | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I worry about Dungey

Agree 100%

Marrone and Hackett stopped Nassib from running because they knew they had a huge talent gap behind him. Nassib learned how to get rid of the ball and that is something Dungey may never learn along with being a way better athlete than Ryan was. I like Dungeys touch and long throws better than Nassib and physically the only thing Nassib had better was a stronger arm and more mentally disciplined.

I disagree. The best player plays the positions that helps the team win more games. Again, if and only if Devito is ready. If he isn't then yes, Dungey has QB1 especially if Babers really does feel he's the man.
I kinda want to wait to play DeVito until after those 4 stars come in. Put Tommy in now, and he's done in a year (all beat to sht).

The best I've ever seen Dungey was in that CMU game his Freshman year pre-cheap shot concussion. He made them look like a HS defense. He's still very good and has some flashes, but I don't think he's been as dynamic (understandably) since his Freshman year-much more hesitant

Last edited:
My memory could be failing me, but I don't remember Nunes getting roughed up nearly as consistently as Dungey does.
nunes would pinwheel and then zigzag scramble thirty yards backwards and slide. classic nunes !

nunes would pinwheel and then zigzag scramble thirty yards backwards and slide. classic nunes !

And he got the crap beat out of him nearly every game.

Two things Nunes, RJ, Nassib have in common.

1. Each redshirted and so they had 5 years.
2. Each was significantly better their 5th year than any other year.

In their underclass years, I think Dungey is better. No matter what happens this year, I hope he's significantly better in his senior year too.

Yup. Great QBs learn how to avoid the kind of hits he takes multiple times a game. It's gotta be difficult for the coaches to build the team around him when they'd know he's very likely to be injured.

I still like Dungey a lot. He's easily the best QB we've had since McNabb. But I'm not sure that his game (a) is the best fit for Dino's system, and (b) is ever possible to make it through a season intact.

What? Great qbs learn to avoid hits? How do they avoid hits on 15 or so planned option running plays with him as the primary runner? Please explain . Go ahead and put it on him. Its all on dino and Lewis. But nobody knows lewis, instead we know our strength coach. Yaaaaawwwnnnn...

What? Great qbs learn to avoid hits? How do they avoid hits on 15 or so planned option running plays with him as the primary runner? Please explain . Go ahead and put it on him. Its all on dino and Lewis. But nobody knows lewis, instead we know our strength coach. Yaaaaawwwnnnn...

Her you go buddy

lol He is a lot better than Nunes or Anderson. They aren't in his league. He can make plays.
Not in his league? Give me a break. Nunes made plays. Robin was good in 2003 despite running an outdated offense at the time.

I don't understand why Dungey is rated so highly on this forum. He's okay, but he's the same quarterback he was as a true freshman. Stares down single receivers, would rather run and dive head-first into defenders than go through progressions, and inconsistent throwing accuracy. He's not bad but he's not beyond criticism like some here like to think.

You can make an argument re Nassib.

But you can't re Nunes and RJ.
Not sure why.

I know passer rating and yards per attempt aren't the be-all end-all, but in this case that's what I'm using.

Last year Dungey finished 46th in the nation in passer rating (138.2) and 49th in yards per attempt (7.5). Not bad, but not exactly great.

Since 1999, here are the 10 best finishes for a Syracuse quarterback in...

Passer Rating:

1. Troy Nunes (2000) - 22nd (134.5)
2. Troy Nunes (1999) - 24th (134.9)
3. Ryan Nassib (2012) - 34th (143.3)
4. Eric Dungey (2016) - 46th (138.2)
5. Eric Dungey (2015) - 47th (136.6)

6. Greg Paulus (2009) - 48th (132.6)
7. RJ Anderson (2001) - 59th (124.2)
8. Ryan Nassib (2011) - 61st (129.9)
9. RJ Anderson (2003) - 63rd (124.1)
10. Troy Nunes (2002) - 64th (121.1)

Yards Per Attempt:

1. Troy Nunes (2000) - 5th (8.9)
2. Ryan Nassib (2012) - 23rd (8.0)
3. RJ Anderson (2001) - 31st (7.8)
4. Andrew Robinson (2007) - 35th (7.5)
5. Eric Dungey (2016) - 49th (7.5)
6. Troy Nunes (1999) - 50th (7.1)
6. Eric Dungey (2015) - 50th (7.4)
8. RJ Anderson (2003) - 58th (7.0)
9. Greg Paulus (2009) - 61st (7.1)
10. Troy Nunes (2002) - 64th (6.8)

This doesn't exactly scream "not in his league" and "you can't make an argument" to me.

I think the reasons he puts himself at risk are tied in to his general qb skills and poor decision-making under pressure.

He can execute a pass play when he has time and is protected (and has receivers who can catch). He's proven he can run in a straight line when forced out of the pocket.

But, imo, what this guy lacks is the ability to deceive defenses and improvise when the initial play breaks down. You can't blame everything on the offensive line.

This is what I see:
1. Dungey is not a good under pressure
2. He rarely scans the field to keep the d honest before making the intended pass or for a second option if number one is not open.
3. He is not deceptive in any facet of the game: telegraphs passes, hardly disguises handoffs, fake throws are obvious, hardly ever pumpfakes (once yesterday iirc).
Weren't the option looks embarrassing in front of the 1987 team?
4. Not patient in the pocket with even modest pressure (I realize this board has discussed in length the possible reasons i.e. lack of protection, run first instincts, getting hit).
5. Just a general lack of awareness. Finding the open man, knowing when you are being chased the entire width of the field so you don't get your legged crushed by a 300 pounder, knowing when to get rid of the ball, not counting on a flag to be thrown, knowing when to slide/get out of bounds, getting your guys lined up,
6. His running also lack deception. Seems the d always knows exactly when to apply a massive hit.

Am I'm pouring it on too thick?

Maybe someone with qb experience can speak to this. I must have yelled "What is he doing?" 20 times yesterday, mostly bc I was scared for him!

I can't like this enough... at some point in the 2nd half the coaches turned ED into the primary runner with designed runs and guess what? It worked and the offense started to click a bit and sans the dropped punt and dropped passes we would have won going away. But I'm not sure I agree with a plan that makes a kid who has proven time and time again that he can't protect himself, is one hit away from having his career ended and is also our best passer our primary RB.

It almost felt like Babers said it we aren't going to win if Dungey doesn't run anyways so might as well let him do his thing and let the chips fall. If this is the strategy going forward, I hope for the sake of Dungey's long term health he does not play against LSU, Clemson or FSU. Sadly I'm not joking, I truly am concerned for his health in those games.