Idea: weekly Friday season-specific reminiscing | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Idea: weekly Friday season-specific reminiscing

Turned 21 the day of the Miami game. Will leave it at that.

It could be worse, your 21st birthday could have been on 9/11/01 like my brother-in-law's was.

I was watching the WVU game in my room and another one of my best friends who went to WVU called with a bunch of drunken bitter WVU fans. Also classic.

Did anyone here:
-attend the game at WVU when Graves threw a punch?
-attend the Fiesta Bowl vs. Colorado?

Yes, to the latter.

1992 was my sophomore year at SU. I was in the Pride of the Orange, so needless to say I attended every home game, the Temple road game (band used to travel to one regular season game a year), and the Fiesta Bowl.

Rutgers game was Homecoming, and we performed a medieval-themed show (vs. the Scarlet Knights, get it?). There was a battle scene where the band split into two halves and charged each other. Me and a buddy decided to ham it up, so we scattered to an empty part of the field, dueled for a bit with our cardboard swords and shields, and then he full-on body slammed me to the turf, WWF-style. Nice crowd reaction from those who saw it.

Needless to say, the season was amazing. And of course the loss to Miami was absolute heartbreak. We needed one more play. Just one more damn play. For those who were in school then, there was a T-shirt made for that game featuring Otto and Ibis doing... well, something that simply would NOT fly being on a T-shirt in 2019.

Trip to the Fiesta Bowl was insane. They had us participate in their parade, which meant marching 3 miles in our polyester uniforms in the friggin' desert heat. When we finished, we had to walk the entire length of the route back to our buses. And what greeted us on those buses? Bags of BBQ potato chips and NO WATER.

But we did get to spend NYE in Tempe, which was a total blast. And the game itself was fantastic, although the field was literally dirt painted green. Colorado was loaded (Kordell Stewart, Michael Westbrook, Deon Figures) yet we out-talented them.

Man, we should have a thread dedicated to clips from SUper Sports broadcasts. This board needs more Dave Cohen.
Dave’s living in Atlanta these days. I’ve met him a few times at ‘Cuse events. Great guy to talk to.

Last edited:
Dave’s living in Atlanta these days. Ive met him a few time soon at ‘Cuse events. Great guy to talk to.

I worked at a J. Riggings clothing store at the Cumberland Mall in Atlanta in 1996-1997. Dave came in with his son and I sold the lad a suit. I knew who Dave was the minute he walked in the store.

Late to the party. 1992 was my freshman year. The summer before, I was jawing it up with another friend who was headed to Ohio State. Being from North Jersey, the local paper (Bergen Record) had a piece on Shelton Prescott of Patterson committing to Syracuse. I immediately bet my friend a case of his favorite beer (Killian’s Irish Red) on the game. I was so deflated after that game. He and his fraternity brothers came to campus to party the next year and I was so mad, still, that I let him crash with me, but hadn’t paid my bet (I know, but I wasn’t welching, just not ready to pay). I attribute our underperformance that year on the bet. I’ve never bet on SU again.

I graduated in '91. Was in law school in '92. And was completely, head over heels in love with my senior year girlfriend. The problem was - she was living in NYC and I was living in SF. We flew to Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl. Suffice it to say, I had a pretty fantastic week in Phoenix. Oh yeah, we won the Fiesta Bowl too.

I only saw her once after that. Sigh.

Also Texas trick play with Graves’ diving end zone catch was incredible. Right in front of the student section. I remember the guard rail collapse as plain as yesterday.

My favorite was homecoming against Pitt. NT Kevin Mitchell knifed through the line and absolutely planted Alex VanPelt. With no other offense but Curtis “the razor” Martin, we won handily. A friend on my floor was in Buzz Shaw’s freshman orientation class. Buzz got them and a friend (me) tickets on the 50 about 20 rows up. There was an alumni event before the game in the Ernie Davis Room (now Club 44) where I met Biden, D’Amato, and Lou Gossett Jr.

Shenexon , you were there, right?

I remember listening to that one on the radio. Not sure why, I assume it was on TV.

Yep...I sure was. I was building houses in northern Virginia at the time and had a WVU fan working for me. We'd been planning the trip for a while. I wore my favorite gameday sweatshirt, we parked at my friend's mom's house in Morgantown and walked to the stadium.

The game was slipping away with only a few minutes left when Graves got tackled hard going out of bounds and flipped the ball at one of the tacklers. I expected Graves to get ejected but not so. I thought it was over when we didn't convert on a 4th down but a miracle pass interference call set up graves to gedney for the win.

I sat among a group of drunk rowdy WVU fans that had been razzing me all game but mostly in a fun way, especially before Graves started the melee when it looked bad for us and good for them. The crowd turned angry at the end and I got shoved around on the way out of the stadium. I was just glad to get away.

It is still one of my favorite games. I got to see an amazing game, listened to wonderful post game comments on the way home, survived a gauntlet of angry WVU fans, and have savored every win over WVU ever since. It's a great memory...

I'd like to chime in and just say what an AWESOME idea for a thread! 92 was the first of mine and my father's 10 year run with season tickets. We'd drive down from and back to the Adirondacks for each and every game until the last 2 seasons when I lived in Syracuse. He would come down those 2 years and spend the night

Man, we should have a thread dedicated to clips from SUper Sports broadcasts. This board needs more Dave Cohen.

It's short and poor quality, but is the only clip I've found of Graves at WVU...

I’ll bet there hasn’t been a baby boy named Marvin in West Virginia in the last 27 years!

Last edited:
It's short and poor quality, but is the only clip I've found of Graves at WVU...

The quality is good enough for me to comment that our uniforms there are beautiful.

Turned 21 the day of the Miami game. Will leave it at that.

Turned 21 the day of the Ohio State game. Brutal birthday present, after we'd kicked their A$$e$ in the Hall of Fame Bowl down in Tampa the previous year.

Thinking of Robert Smith gliding across the dome turf still aggravates me. He had quite a day. Going in, really thought we'd handle them, but they seemed much more ready to play than us.

This thread has me excited for tomorrow's season. Will it be tacked in here or a new topic?