Ideas for a Dome trademark entrance | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Ideas for a Dome trademark entrance

You rang? :p

We actually do a lot of this already. We have a good and effective defense "package" that is especially good on third downs and goes really well with the ringing of the bells on the sound system. There is predictability and regularity in what we do, just as you mention. The student section participates more and more, especially this year with us being seated with them. We have/had a few things for offense but those are in flux right now with the new system (there's no time for anything in between plays), but we do have a thing we do at the beginning of each possession and for first downs. These all work with the student section better than ever and I'm hoping they continue to grow there and spread to the rest of the stadium. Admittedly, none of these are as iconic as the tomahawk chop, but it takes a lot of time and the right set of circumstances for something to get to that level.

We do have a "Syracuse" sound in a lot of parts of the game, but it seems that at least for you, for whatever reason it isn't being perceived/noticed and we'll have to figure out why and try to fix it.

As the band's director I probably shouldn't respond to these but I respectfully disagree with almost all of this. We are not among the worst bands in college football, but that is subjective. As for needing new ideas, my staff and I, as well as everyone in SU Athletics that I work with are always examining the entire college football/band landscape and making sure we are being as current an inventive as we can given the specific circumstances at this institution as well as preserving the (currently too few) traditions we have while hopefully allowing new ones to emerge.

I am—genuinely and without sarcasm—sorry that the SUMB isn't working for you right now. We will keep trying.

I do agree about needing "bigger," but we've talked on this board before that it's a lot easier said than done, but we are working on that too.

Justin

Play the "Saltine Warrior" at least once a game, for OrangePA and Me, please! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

We actually do a lot of this already. We have a good and effective defense "package" that is especially good on third downs and goes really well with the ringing of the bells on the sound system. There is predictability and regularity in what we do, just as you mention. The student section participates more and more, especially this year with us being seated with them. We have/had a few things for offense but those are in flux right now with the new system (there's no time for anything in between plays), but we do have a thing we do at the beginning of each possession and for first downs. These all work with the student section better than ever and I'm hoping they continue to grow there and spread to the rest of the stadium. Admittedly, none of these are as iconic as the tomahawk chop, but it takes a lot of time and the right set of circumstances for something to get to that level.

We do have a "Syracuse" sound in a lot of parts of the game, but it seems that at least for you, for whatever reason it isn't being perceived/noticed and we'll have to figure out why and try to fix it.

As the band's director I probably shouldn't respond to these but I respectfully disagree with almost all of this. We are not among the worst bands in college football, but that is subjective. As for needing new ideas, my staff and I, as well as everyone in SU Athletics that I work with are always examining the entire college football/band landscape and making sure we are being as current an inventive as we can given the specific circumstances at this institution as well as preserving the (currently too few) traditions we have while hopefully allowing new ones to emerge.

I am—genuinely and without sarcasm—sorry that the SUMB isn't working for you right now. We will keep trying.

I do agree about needing "bigger," but we've talked on this board before that it's a lot easier said than done, but we are working on that too.

Justin
Justin,

My apologies if I offended you, I do enjoy what the band produces and maybe the frustration should be directed more to the University instead of the members of the SUMB who try very hard to entertain us. However to my eye over the years it looks like the numbers have decreased. This is probably due to university support more than anything else. In terms of fresh ideas, I think it was more directed to the Band's roll in the game on certain key downs or traditions. I think the half time entertainment is generally good. Some can be a little slow, but generally I enjoy them.

I think the idea of the "whose house?" " our house" is great. At bc I'm sure it made bc mad but it was spontaneous and people and team loved it. After the reno I'm sure they will use led lights for energy savings and lighting it up colors wont be a problem. Hope we are still here to see it

I disagree. If it hasn't happened organicaly yet it never will. The Dome Reno if the perfect time to create something new. Make it cool and it sill stick.

I think we should incorporate Ernie Davis. Maybe his old helmet can be something players all touch upon entering ala Clemson and that rock. We obv need something more than touching helmet but that would be a great start.

I know they touch the statue before entering Dome but no one sees that so why not use an Ernie 44 helmet on Ernie Davis Legends Field.
Maybe it hasn't happened organically, because by and large, the fanbase hasn't cared, and because we've been bad for a long time.
For instance: Clemson's entrance happened organically, and then evolved.
Called the most exciting 25 seconds in college football, running down “The Hill” began out of practicality: The football team dressed at Fike Field House and ran from there to the gate and down the grassy hill onto the field at the start of each game.

So you see, it didn't happen, because a group of fans, or some committee got together and said, "Hey, how do we come up with a cool way to enter the stadium. Well I've got this great idea..."

Exactly how does a created entrance happen organically? Are orgasms happening organically too now?
How do they happen organically? Most likely out of necessity (see above regarding Clemson), and then they evolve slowly over time into a tradition.
As for your "orgasm" question, if they are happening organically, you're probably doing it wrong, and most likely alone.

Justin,

My apologies if I offended you, I do enjoy what the band produces and maybe the frustration should be directed more to the University instead of the members of the SUMB who try very hard to entertain us. However to my eye over the years it looks like the numbers have decreased. This is probably due to university support more than anything else. In terms of fresh ideas, I think it was more directed to the Band's roll in the game on certain key downs or traditions. I think the half time entertainment is generally good. Some can be a little slow, but generally I enjoy them.

I appreciate it! Not offended; after all, we do exist to make games a better/more entertaining experience, so feedback is good.

We have gotten a little smaller over the past couple of years; it's because of a number of factors and we're trying to address them. Thankfully, the University support is improving in a lot of areas so I'm hoping that we can reverse the trend. This year in particular has been really good with what you mention here about band involvement in key situations. This is the first season out of my 12 as director where it seems that everyone who works on this is on the same page so I'm excited to see what we can do.

Ephesus is headquartered in Syracuse. They do awesome stuff with lights. Give them a showcase for their stuff, featuring Syracuse legends.

Visualize this. You're in the Carrier Dome. Your house is filled. The feeling is electric. The noise is deafening. The team is about to make their pre-game entrance to the field.

A hologram of a Syracuse football player appears, running out of the tunnel where the players enter the Dome, leading the charge of Syracuse players. The hologram is of a Syracuse player, wearing #44, looking very much like Jim Brown (or whoever you want to feature that day).

A second hologram appears on the other side of the field, facing Hologram Brown. It looks very much like Sam Huff (or Deion Sanders, or Ben Boulware, or whoever you want to feature that day, often inspired by whoever Syracuse is playing that day).

The holograms run towards each other all out.

A tremendous collision ensues.

Hologram Brown (or Hologram Csonka, Hologram Konrad, etc.) survives the impact, continues running and scores a touchdown, where a bunch of other hologram Syracuse players appear and congratulate him.

Meanwhile upon collision, Hologram Huff explodes into a million pieces and disappears, vaporized into Data Heaven.

Lights comes up, queue the team to take the field.

Set it to music played by the SUMB, led by 24 tuba surround sound.

Open your eyes. That's going to be a reality. That's going to be Syracuse football.

-Thanks to Dino for some of the phrases used.

How do they happen organically? Most likely out of necessity (see above regarding Clemson), and then they evolve slowly over time into a tradition.
As for your "orgasm" question, if they are happening organically, you're probably doing it wrong, and most likely alone.
Or tantric, like Sting.

Justin
Off topic but very fine job at the Bills game yesterday. You guys got a nice call out on WGR from a couple of SU alums well before the game also. The band was one of the few highlights of the game for me (along with an appartus being thrown onto the field). You folks were troopers to sit up there with just plastic rain suits over your band uniforms. I had a rain coat over a Carhart over thermals and kept telling the Mrs that your crew had to be freezing before going down for half time. Congrats on an excellent showing.

Justin
Sorry if I offended you Justin and thanks for responding. Have you ever considered a band style similar to Wisconsin, Michigan State or Penn State? Since I live in the Chicagoland area, we get brainwashed with all the B1G crap but I do think there are some great bands out here. With more members this may be a possibility and would like to hear your thoughts. Also, what ever happened to that Queen "We Will Rock You" cheer that was popular during the 90's?

I agree with Bambrewer. I would start the "traditional" team entrance trademark asap. Darken the dome, put some motivating entrance music (think Chicago Bulls type entrance music, or whatever is most en vogue right now) and play the Dino "they didn't look into your hear, they didn't look into my heart... who's house? OUR HOUSE!... sound-over with some big plays/hits on the jumbo board. End it with the Express train horn and build off it in the future.

Get that going now and make it a huge upgrade when the new renovations and LED lighting is up an running by integrating some tomcat like ideas and get some excitement in the building for the fans AND for the players. Its not that hard and can be done and introduced right away.

Sorry if I offended you Justin and thanks for responding. Have you ever considered a band style similar to Wisconsin, Michigan State or Penn State? Since I live in the Chicagoland area, we get brainwashed with all the B1G crap but I do think there are some great bands out here. With more members this may be a possibility and would like to hear your thoughts. Also, what ever happened to that Queen "We Will Rock You" cheer that was popular during the 90's?

I appreciate it; like I said upthread not offended at all; the SUMB exists to make games more fun/entertaining and feedback is important.

We steal a lot of ideas from B1G bands; the biggest difference between us and them is we don't march in a high-step style all the time (we do a little bit of it). Our pregame show is where you'll see the biggest influence of that style.

My involvement with the SUMB started in 1997, and I don't think there was a cheer based upon WWRY. Was it just the drum beats with a clap to finish (drum-drum-clap, etc...)?

The problem with any dimming the lights schtick is we play in a translucent dome so it won't have the same effect as it does at a Bulls game.

Regardless, I'm really glad we've having this discussion. I spend more time than I would ever admit to my wife pondering exactly this issue ever since the Dome Reno talk began.

some of you guys came pretty close to the perfect answer

in conjunction with the new post-reno kick ass lighting (and perhaps that really cool hologram idea), the announcer begins a 4 chorus chant and respond (4X for the announcer, 4X from the crowd (4-4)) building in crescendo, followed by the greatest underrated psych up song of all time, of course redone to be more Orange centric (Jadakiss perhaps)

goes like this...

Whose House?
- Our House
What House?
- LOUD House

Whose House?
- Our House
What House?
- LOUD House

Whose House?
- Our House
What House?
- LOUD House

Whose House?
- Our House
What House?
- LOUD House

SU come to take over
(Opponent) better look over your shoulder
NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE!!!

I don't know about long term traditions but while we have Babers this is what I'd like to see at the next home game:
A hype video played before that game that includes the normal hype stuff (awesome plays and what not) but ends with "Whose house? Our house!" and gets the crowd going into the chant. While they're chanting, the team runs out and joins in the chant (call and response with Babers) and just gets everyone real fired up.

At the end of winning games, "They didn't know, it's not their fault."

I'd also like to hear "My House" at some point pre-game. I can't remember if I've heard it there or not...but they should use it.

I like that, I think the Ravens do something similar at their home games through their Under Armour partnership......

The problem with any dimming the lights schtick is we play in a translucent dome so it won't have the same effect as it does at a Bulls game.

Regardless, I'm really glad we've having this discussion. I spend more time than I would ever admit to my wife pondering exactly this issue ever since the Dome Reno talk began.
We play in a Dome that is currently translucent. Hoping the new one lets in even more outside light. The one drawback is we won't be able to do these kinds of things except for night games.

I would rather have the openness.

Innovative roof makes new Vikings stadium lighten up

He said "touching helmet". Huh huh

What about this as a 44 to touch?
The only good thing GRob did as HC was to have the Quad Walk of players, band and cheerleaders from the College Place bus stop to the Davis statue and Dome. Watching College Game Day each week, it seems that most schools have some version of this. It allows fans to see the players up close and cheer them on. I've suggested this to each coach since with no response. :(

If we beat FSU and there isn't a "They didn't know, its not their fault" chant on the last drive, I'll feel robbed.

It. Will. Never. Happen.
We are a small private NE school. FB is a thing we do, not who we are.
It has happened in the past and can happen again. Being a solid academic institution and fielding a consistent top 20 team are not mutually exclusive. Small as an excuse? Clemson and Syracuse both have 21-22K enrollment. Private school as an excuse(I guess implying academic barriers?) Clemson and Syracuse have similar academic ratings(USNews Syracuse #60 and Clemson #66(#23 Public University)). There are not any players at Clemson that would have not been admitted to SU. We(Clemson) choose not to take JUCO or great talents kicked out of other schools like some(see Louisville, LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, WVU, etc).

Syracuse at least also has a potential local resident fan base. City of Clemson is less than 14K while Syracuse is probably close to 150K.

When I was at Clemson in the late 80's, SU was a great stable program.

Had an awesome time with the kids at the dome for the game in 2013. You have a unique setting to sell. Don't ever buy "It. Will. Never. Happen". If you do, it certainly never will happen.

Looking forward to the game Saturday. I personally think you easily cover the spread. Short quick passing game can do some damage against us.

Last edited:
I have long been a proponent of a Mad Max Thunderdome themed entrance. There is a scene where the kids are all standing over the valley and chanting "Walker" to Mel Gibson. Its spooky. We could chant "Orange" or "Syracuse" or maybe "44" as the opposing team takes the field. (3:30 mark) Then we could chant "Two men enter, one man leaves" the rules of thunderdome. Thunderdome Intro - Dying Time In place of the tomahawk chop at the kickoff, we could chant "Whose house?" from the kicking side and a response of "Our house" from the receiving side.

Dan7800 mentioned it in another thread.

Anyone have any ideas for a trademark entrance?

FSU and Clemson each have one, and so do other teams.

We got the Dome, growing interest from the local fan base, a$$e$ in the seats will increase assuming we win. Lets have some fun with this.

I've been saying for a long time:
Orange Fog Machines behind the student section for when the team takes the field and again at the 4th quarter break!
A waterfall of Orange welcomes the team gets and keeps students in the seats early and riled up throughout.

I'd say if we're doing this 'Express' Train analogy thing we could have a train that moves out of the football tunnel and extends about 10-20 ft on to the field and the team bursts out of the front of it while Otto is up in the conductor's booth. Then it retracts to the wall and is the touchdown horn during the game. Bonus: A Slide off the side for Otto to get back down to field level.

Combine these two above would be pretty awesome.

Clearly if you could project images on the floor that would be an amazing addition also.

I'd also recommend that we 'upgrade the safety' of the student seating area by adding thin bleacher type metal floors with high textured surface applications. One 'drawback' is that it might increase noise levels when students stomp or jump.