Idle Speculation - who replaces Bernie Fine? | Syracusefan.com

Idle Speculation - who replaces Bernie Fine?

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
Safe assumption that JB and Bernie go out together. Herman Harried seems like a natural. Hak might be available when the time comes. Who might be interested from inside the family, or do we go shopping outside?

Paul Harris. Grrr.

I don't know but I hope Bernie passes him a autographed clipboard.

It needs to be someone who has played Center and understands the position and moves.

It needs to be someone who has played Center and understands the position and moves.
Like Bernie?? Can you believe what he gets out of his players? Bernie fine in '12... he has my vote.

You don't REPLACE a Bernie Fine. The guy is a legend in the big man coaching world. I would dare you to find an asst coach who put more big men into professional leagues.

Coleman eventually

Coleman eventually

DC has never coached before. Do you presume he is going to start? Unless he does, the only way he sits on the bench is as special guest. My guess is that he has no interest in coaching.

Like Bernie?? Can you believe what he gets out of his players? Bernie fine in '12... he has my vote.
The big men bring in some of their own talent. A lot more could be done with it. People here complain about lack of post-up moves. They can be taught.

I bet Lazarus could do it. He knows what a big should be doing, how to get open for perimeter passers, etc. Now, the question is, could he coach them up defensively?

Again, my bet is yes (just looking at guys already on the staff).

Coleman eventually
I'd agree, but he hasn't done any coaching at all since retiring. I like the prospects of Etan Thomas way more.

I bet Lazarus could do it. He knows what a big should be doing, how to get open for perimeter passers, etc. Now, the question is, could he coach them up defensively?

Again, my bet is yes (just looking at guys already on the staff).

Yeah, I think the real thing that will happen in this case is Fine with Boeheim retires, Hop moves up to HC, Autry becomes Associate Head Coach, Lazarus Sims moves to Assistant Head Coach, McNamara becomes Assistant Coach, Kissel remains whatever the he is, and Etan Thomas or Derrick Coleman becomes Coordinator of Player Development/ S&C Coach. I prefer Thomas. A lot of nepotism but it ing seems to be working pretty ing well.

DC has never coached before. Do you presume he is going to start? Unless he does, the only way he sits on the bench is as special guest. My guess is that he has no interest in coaching.
That's why I said eventually. I hope he gets in at a smaller school in a recruiting area like Baltimore, then works his way up. Who knows if Coach Murphy doesn't return to be Hops #1 assistant, too for a few years and catches on at a BCS school?

That's why I said eventually. I hope he gets in at a smaller school in a recruiting area like Baltimore, then works his way up. Who knows if Coach Murphy doesn't return to be Hops #1 assistant, too for a few years and catches on at a BCS school?

Why the would Rob Murphy leave a head coaching job for an assistant's job?

Etan Thomas does not strike me as the type that will pursue college bball once his nba career is over.

Allen Griffin? He has years of coaching experience at various programs too and is a very good friend of Mike Hopkins.

Why the **** would Rob Murphy leave a head coaching job for an assistant's job?
Thats probably a better stepping stone than the EMU job. More visibility. He'd probably double his salary, too if he took Hops job.

Safe assumption that JB and Bernie go out together. Herman Harried seems like a natural. Hak might be available when the time comes. Who might be interested from inside the family, or do we go shopping outside?

Isn't Gerry in need of a job, can't be a grad assistant forever. Laz and GMac each move up a line or two on the depth chart.

Isn't Gerry in need of a job, can't be a grad assistant forever. Laz and GMac each move up a line or two on the depth chart.

Still leaves an empty spot.

Thats probably a better stepping stone than the EMU job. More visibility. He'd probably double his salary, too if he took Hops job.

I doubt he would. A MAC head coaching job is a much better stepping stone to a BCS job than an assistant coach at a BCS school. Proving you can win at the mid-major level is big for a lot of schools.

I doubt he would. A MAC head coaching job is a much better stepping stone to a BCS job than an assistant coach at a BCS school. Proving you can win at the mid-major level is big for a lot of schools.
I don't think he would, but there are more assistant coaches at big schools that will always be considered for coaching positions than a low-level MAC coach. You're right, though, it will depend on how well he does at EMU. If he is very average, like .500 for 4 years, I could see a comeback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom