If Boeheim has an Achilles heel | Syracusefan.com

If Boeheim has an Achilles heel

Status
Not open for further replies.

GooseMutt

All Conference
what do you perceive it to be? Many would argue his reluctance to ever play man. I wonder if it’s his stern restriction on what players have a green light to do. Is he overly restrictive? Does it inhibit natural game flow? Does tendency allow defenses to better prepare? Should it be important to field a team with 5 shooters( within reason not suggesting centers taking 3s)?

what do you perceive it to be? Many would argue his reluctance to ever play man. I wonder if it’s his stern restriction on what players have a green light to do. Is he overly restrictive? Does it inhibit natural game flow? Does tendency allow defenses to better prepare? Should it be important to field a team with 5 shooters( within reason not suggesting centers taking 3s)?

I think it is his public persona. He has allowed others to control the message about who is he and what he is about. He's done this through disdain for most media, inattention to the impact of his statements, and a desire to speak his mind when it would be better to keep quiet. This has hurt him in multiple ways, some of which would include: drawing more ire from the NCAA than say "the average" coach or program gets and turning off recruits and their families (especially in terms of how they perceive his attitudes about paying players, players leaving early for the NBA, etc).

I don't think most these perceptions are accurate, that is not the achilles heel. The perception he has allowed to be created is the achilles heel.

too restrictive? JB is known for giving his players freedom. If jb has a weakness, and we all do, it's that he has run a program with a lack of discipline.

Not wanting retire.

too restrictive? JB is known for giving his players freedom. If jb has a weakness, and we all do, it's that he has run a program with a lack of discipline.
Feels like we are always inundated with role players and the guys that are gonna shoot easily identifiable. They slack off them and help on D. Sometimes I feel we’re playing 4 on 5

1. Inside offensive game
2. The quick hook after one mistake

without looking, i bet i can predict the responses to this question of at least half the posters ...

I'll bite: Too much zone, rolling the ball out on Offense, no D adjustments till halftime, ornery with local press, doghouse for certain players, can't recruit, and finally not having the team practice free-throws. That pretty much covers most negative nellies here and just saved everyone some time in this thread, lol.

I'll bite: Too much zone, rolling the ball out on Offense, no D adjustments till halftime, ornery with local press, doghouse for certain players, can't recruit, and finally not having the team practice free-throws. That pretty much covers most negative nellies here and just saved everyone some time in this thread, lol.
Ok but the point is which one

No plan B on defense.

It's why Gtech can come into the dome and blow our doors off.

Sometimes, because of opposing matchups, hot hands and better coaching nowadays (in preparing for our zone), the zone defense is simply ineffective.

When that happens, we simply accept defeat and lose the game, often by a wide margin.

Love JB, but that is not acceptable... especially from a HOF coach.

It's been obvious for a number of years now that we need a plan b and should have a go-to plan for M2M sets when the zone gets shredded.

I know he did a half-hearted attempt at installing m2m sets a few years ago and we got beat by LeMoyne when we tried it... but he used that as an excuse to not do it, as opposed to actually working consistently to develop competent m2m sets over time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I get that it won't happen while JB is here, but it does not change the fact that it's a glaring problem.

Last edited:

His teams have been bullied into losses over the years. See Georgetown, UConn, Pitt, Buzz's teams, Ga Tech this year, Buffalo, and on and on. That's not to say he ain't tough, I think he IS a tough SoB. But his style and the players he recruits have been vulnerable to bully ball, dump and chase teams over the years.

His ability to have consistent player rotations from game to game. He subs based on mistakes instead of keeping players fresh. Someone could have a great game and then not play in the next game. Developing a consistent substitution pattern gives players confidence and allows them to play through mistakes.

g-town, Uconn, Buzz's teams,??? pretty sure we have beat them more than they have beat us
And lost plenty with more talent too. See Dixon, Jamie W-L record. Collectively, that group is well below his career winning %

And lost plenty with more talent too. See Dixon, Jamie W-L record. Collectively, that group is well below his career winning %
Uconn and G-town had great programs. National powers. National championships. Of course they are below his career winning % the only one that is valid is Dixon. And yet when Jb played against Dixon in a Big east championship and in the ncaa tournament, Jb won both games.

Uconn and G-town had great programs. National powers. National championships. Of course they are below his career winning % the only one that is valid is Dixon. And yet when Jb played against Dixon in a Big east championship and in the ncaa tournament, Jb won both games.
Every team knows the zone allows O rebounds, and his high screen offense is easy to fight through. That’s the formula to beat him, dump and chase on O, clutch and grab on D. You haven’t observed that? It’s how lesser teams have beaten him over the years. The bad losses this year also prove this out.

Complaining about our defense is pretty stupid considering we are top 20 year in and year out. The offense is fair game, but the defense has been the reason we have been really good in the tournament the past 10 years.

I feel like everyone should have to start their post with:

If Boeheim has an Achilles heel it's _________________________________________.

You should also be limited to one heel! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.