If Boeheim has an Achilles heel | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If Boeheim has an Achilles heel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me get this straight, ...when SU comes back, it’s just a matter of us playing better, but when we lose (like GT), it’s because we play the same. And you see it coming?Noted.

To label the zone as one singular defense is silly. So many variations. Postgame March 2016, Tony Bennett described SU’s zone as “intelligent.” I think you get it, but don’t want to acknowledge. Fine.

I'll acknowledge the zone has modified schemes for sure and they will shift outside to cover hot shooters and slide/double them, the corner double traps, etc. and force others to step up.

My point was when we play a team that matches up well and executes their zone attack very well, we are always in trouble. If they move the ball in and out of the high post and around the perimeter with passing speed ahead of the slides, we have problems... the defense is always a step late. If you can add hot shooters or baseline slashers to that mix when the slides can't keep up, it's usually a field day for the opponent.

Va Tech did this to us as well (and they are certainly a better team than Gtech)

It happens.

And when it happens, we lose, because there is no plan b.

I'll ask this again, since you ignored it in my last post...

Do you think it's a good thing to play only one defensive set (Zone or M2M) in this day and age of college basketball?

Boeheim's achilles heel is that he loved Syracuse too much to take the job at Ohio State. If he had taken the job at OSU, he would never have had any investigations no matter what he did or didn't do. He would also have all the calls going for him as OSU gets their way in the B1G on a regular basis. Instead he stayed at SU to build one of the greatest college basketball programs EVER, and have a group of know it all fans criticize his work with the objective of getting him fired.

Boeheim's achilles heel is that he loved Syracuse too much to take the job at Ohio State. If he had taken the job at OSU, he would never have had any investigations no matter what he did or didn't do. He would also have all the calls going for him as OSU gets their way in the B1G on a regular basis. Instead he stayed at SU to build one of the greatest college basketball programs EVER, and have a group of know it all fans criticize his work with the objective of getting him fired.

Oh Pluuuueeeeze...

This notion that JAB can't be discussed and criticized for his shortcomings is pathetic.

It doesn't mean anyone hates him, wants him fired or is claiming to be a know-it-all...

It's a syracuse basketball forum and people have takes on what he does good, bad or satisfactorily.

JAB is not off limits for discussion. Grow up.

Last edited:
Oh Pluuuueeeeze...

This notion that JAB can't be discussed and criticized for his shortcomings is pathetic.

It doesn't mean anyone hates him, wants him fired or is claiming to be a know-it-all...

It's a syracuse basketball forum and people have takes on what he does good, bad or satisfactorily.

JAB is not off limits for discussion. Grow up.
The guys legendary career is nearing it's end and you think this "analysis" is some how beneficial? Now that Buddy has found his stroke, I guess people have to find another line of attack to try to undermine him. I know, your not excited enough by our style of play, talk about people who need to grow up.

The guys legendary career is nearing it's end and you think this "analysis" is some how beneficial? Now that Buddy has found his stroke, I guess people have to find another line of attack to try to undermine him. I know, your not excited enough by our style of play, talk about people who need to grow up.

Again, JAB is not off limits for critical discussion on this forum and never has been.

The thread topic is a critical topic from that perspective.

I get that you don't like that... Certainly your prerogative and I don't fault you one bit for having a differing opinion.

But to pass off the "you're a crappy fan" mantra for even criticizing JAB is just silly.

Who made you judge and jury on who's a "good" fan of SU?

Again, JAB is not off limits for critical discussion on this forum and never has been.

The thread topic is a critical topic from that perspective.

I get that you don't like that... Certainly your prerogative and I don't fault you one bit for having a differing opinion.

But to pass off the "you're a crappy fan" mantra for even criticizing JAB is just silly.

Who made you judge and jury on who's a "good" fan of SU?
I think you can criticize him for a lot of things, but criticizing him for the zone is absurd. That's who he is and how he does it, never gonna change.

I think you can criticize him for a lot of things, but criticizing him for the zone is absurd. That's who he is and how he does it, never gonna change.

You could say it's his achille's heel then - not being able to switch up when zone isn't working... seems like this has gone full circle, LOL.

Serious question:

Do you think it's a good thing to play only one defensive set in this day and age of college basketball?

Promised myself never to get pulled into one of these discussions but:

First, JB has stated that the decision to go exclusively to a zone based defense allows the team to spend 100% of their practice time on one base defense. Since that time we rank among the national leaders in defensive efficiency more often than not and have had a number of memorable post season runs keyed by our defensive aptitude.

Second, which zone are you referring too?

The straight position based 2-3?
The zone that starts with back court pressure, forces turnovers and shortens the shot clock once the opponent moves into the front court?
The zone that extends well beyond the three point arc to trap ball handlers near mid court and has the wings coming out well beyond foul line extended to challenge the perimeter?
The zone that emphasizes weak side help enabling the 5 to come out higher to deny entry passes?
The zone that has the guards pinch to the middle to deny penetration and force the opponent into low percentage shots?

We have seen more than a handful of games turn around completely when JB has made defensive adjustments from one flavor of the zone to another. To say we play “one defense “ is either uninformed oversimplification or pure disingenuousness to support a flawed opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.