If Boeheim has an Achilles heel | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Boeheim has an Achilles heel

Status
Not open for further replies.
the only one that is valid is Dixon. And yet when Jb played against Dixon in a Big east championship and in the ncaa tournament, Jb won both games.
I think that has more to do with the fact that it's hard to beat a team 3 times in the same season.

Every team knows the zone allows O rebounds, and his high screen offense is easy to fight through. That’s the formula to beat him, dump and chase on O, clutch and grab on D. You haven’t observed that? It’s how lesser teams have beaten him over the years. The bad losses this year also prove this out.
yeah, his winning % has really suffered because of that.

we played tcu twice last year in the regular season? I didn't know that.
I'm talking about when we played the old dixon ballclubs at Pitt.

His Achilles heel is his love of Central NY. He probably could have more than doubled his salary elsewhere.

So could I, but then I’d have to pay 3 times the amount for housing and couldn’t travel as much!

How he tosses his jacket when he's upset.

Better than kicking the diagram clipboard under the scorers table...

Last time he did that it disappeared for the season and TO's consisted of singling out and yelling at individual players and/or complaining to the refs while the team watches on... I like the clipboard and play drawups better in the TO's...

yeah, his winning % has really suffered because of that.
a few years ago, a media outlet did anonymous interviews with big east assistant coaches. one of the questions was "what team is the easiest to prepare for." one coach answered something like. "syracuse. you know what stuff they are going to run. but they run it so well that they usually beat you anyway."

What counts is his perception among parents. Parents are generally protective of their kids. The general perception is that JB runs a loose program. Thus, kids are more likely to get in trouble. The two ncaa investigations have left a stigma. A stigma does not matter to an outlaw program that cuts corners but it matters to us.

He has no faults, let alone an Achilles' Heel, as the coach & leader of the Syracuse University Basketball program.

Signed,
The Usual Suspects

too restrictive? JB is known for giving his players freedom. If jb has a weakness, and we all do, it's that he has run a program with a lack of discipline.
this would be my answer. he is so unconcerned with discipline and careless with the operations of his program that he has not once but twice allowed it to be heavily & appropriately sanctioned by the ncaa

this would be my answer. he is so unconcerned with discipline and careless with the operations of his program that he has not once but twice allowed it to be heavily & appropriately sanctioned by the ncaa

I struggle with that, because the penalty seems to far exceed any advantage that may have come from the transgressions investigated, and is most certainly excessive when compared to other penalties handed down by the NCAA. Also, is as much on the compliance staff employed to keep the program within the rules as it is on the head coach. I don’t agree that he had it coming, or that he has gotten his just desserts from the NCAA.

No plan B on defense.

It's why Gtech can come into the dome and blow our doors off.

Sometimes, because of opposing matchups, hot hands and better coaching nowadays (in preparing for our zone), the zone defense is simply ineffective.

When that happens, we simply accept defeat and lose the game, often by a wide margin.

Love JB, but that is not acceptable... especially from a HOF coach.

It's been obvious for a number of years now that we need a plan b and should have a go-to plan for M2M sets when the zone gets shredded.

I know he did a half-hearted attempt at installing m2m sets a few years ago and we got beat by LeMoyne when we tried it... but he used that as an excuse to not do it, as opposed to actually working consistently to develop competent m2m sets over time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I get that it won't happen while JB is here, but it does not change the fact that it's a glaring problem.
Wait. You think JAB doesn’t have a Plan B? The same guy who orchestrated comeback wins over Virginia/2016, Georgetown/2017&’18 and @NC State/2017? All were double-digit deficits well into the second half. The NCSU game included a 16-point deficit with 8:15 left in the game. On the road.

No Plan B? That’s certifiably laughable.

Wait. You think JAB doesn’t have a Plan B? The same guy who orchestrated comeback wins over Virginia/2016, Georgetown/2017&’18 and @NC State/2017? All were double-digit deficits well into the second half. The NCSU game included a 16-point deficit with 8:15 left in the game. On the road.

No Plan B? That’s certifiably laughable.

There's the team playing bad, then team turning it around and playing good, to come back and win... like the wins you mentioned.

Then there's the zone being meticulously picked apart and shredded and no plan b. Players trying but opponents that have an efficient zone attack dialed in and humming. Like the Gtech game (and there's been a number of others like it over the years, as you know.) I knew at halftime of Gtech it was one of those games. They had our number and we weren't coming back continuing in the zone, especially at the rate of speed we play at in half court sets.

The zone was being destroyed and could it not stop Gtech from scoring... They were a bad matchup for us, they executed their zone attack well and had hot hands that used the zone against us. That happens sometimes when play a zone or any defense set, and is when you switch the defensive set. Or, if that's all you play, you slog on and get your doors blown off for the loss.

Serious question:

Do you think it's a good thing to play only one defensive set in this day and age of college basketball?

Last edited:
"Guess what, I have flaws. What are they? Oh, I don't know. I sing in the shower. Sometimes I spend too much time volunteering. Occasionally I'll hit somebody with my car. So sue me... No, don't sue me. That is the opposite of the point that I'm trying to make." -Michael Scott

There's the team playing bad, then team turning it around and playing good, to come back and win... like the wins you mentioned.

Then there's the zone being meticulously picked apart and shredded and no plan b. Players trying but opponents that have an efficient zone attack dialed in and humming. Like the Gtech game (and there's been a number of others like it over the years, as you know.) I knew at halftime of Gtech it was one of those games. They had our number and we weren't coming back continuing in the zone, especially at the rate of speed we play at in half court sets.

The zone was being destroyed and could it not stop Gtech from scoring... They were a bad matchup for us, they executed their zone attack well and had hot hands that used the zone against us. That happens sometimes when play a zone or any defense set, and is when you switch the defensive set. Or, if that's all you play, you slog on and get your doors blown off for the loss.

Serious question:

Do you think it's a good thing to play only one defensive set in this day and age of college basketball?
Let me get this straight, ...when SU comes back, it’s just a matter of us playing better, but when we lose (like GT), it’s because we play the same. And you see it coming?Noted.

To label the zone as one singular defense is silly. So many variations. Postgame March 2016, Tony Bennett described SU’s zone as “intelligent.” I think you get it, but don’t want to acknowledge. Fine.

Then there is SU’s undervalued press. More possessions, etc. We don’t win in 2003 without the willingness of JAB to adjust, press and play McNeil against Oklahoma State.

Understand this: JAB is a closet mathematician. Defensively, he gets numbers, odds and regression better than anyone I’ve watched coach basketball at any level. The best gamblers in Vegas don’t win every (or even most) long shot. But our coach has won his fair share and then some.

I bet Tony Bennett wishes SU came out for that fateful second half in man-to-man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.