If Boise Comes in for 2012...Schedule Could Be Set? | Syracusefan.com

If Boise Comes in for 2012...Schedule Could Be Set?

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Let's say Boise comes in for 2012. I would expect we play at Boise. We still have one slot to fill..but guess what? So do a bunch of MWC teams (after Boise leaves). I would contact UNLV ASAP for a home n home. Host UNLV in 2012 and return in sometime in the next few years. Anyone up for a roadie to Vegas in a year or two?

I doubt Wyoming would listen. :(

If Boise leaves then MWC goes to 9 teams and will just switch to round robin. No change as they already play 8 conference games.

I don't know why the Big East doesn't just pony up and/or use its supposed position of authority to tell Boise and Memphis (or someone else) they are starting in 2012. The Big East teams all scheduled non conf thinking they would have 8 conf games. Now they're down to 6. So bring it back to 8, pay off the MWC, CUSA, MAC whoever you have to. You have WVU's money to play with. Ask SU or Pitt for their $5M now. In return, you let them out in 2013 without further $, or minimal negotiated $, and you give them 8 conf games in 2012 so they're not scrambling to add someone this late. I'm sure the Big East isn't sitting around thinking they will get some windfall of cash when SU and Pitt try to leave a year early in 2013.

To be honest, this whole situation screams lawsuit. I haven't read nor am I going to read the Big East contract with the schools, but it seems like they should be able to sue for breach of contract here. Aren't the conferences supposed to provide at least seven games for the teams? The rest of the country is laughing at the conference or forgot the conference existed.

I don't know why the Big East doesn't just pony up and/or use its supposed position of authority to tell Boise and Memphis (or someone else) they are starting in 2012. The Big East teams all scheduled non conf thinking they would have 8 conf games. Now they're down to 6. So bring it back to 8, pay off the MWC, CUSA, MAC whoever you have to. You have WVU's money to play with. Ask SU or Pitt for their $5M now. In return, you let them out in 2013 without further $, or minimal negotiated $, and you give them 8 conf games in 2012 so they're not scrambling to add someone this late. I'm sure the Big East isn't sitting around thinking they will get some windfall of cash when SU and Pitt try to leave a year early in 2013.

Yeah, they should've/could've done like the B12 (allegedly) did with WVU - say "If you can commit to us next season, you're in. Otherwise, we'll move to the next school on our list." With a move from a non-BCS to a BCS conference on the line, that hardball approach would probably work.

I guess they didn't because:

a) They expected to have all 3 departing schools next season, and just set their invites up for after that. Then were surprised at how hard WVU pushed to get out.

b) There is more $$ to be made by playing another year with the existing schools than the incoming ones or it would be a pain to address the changes in content in the existing/expiring TV contracts, etc. Either way, the conference didn't want to be the one to force the issue by bringing in the new lineup early.

So they made their plans for 2013 before the 2012 lineup was established.

Yeah, they should've/could've done like the B12 (allegedly) did with WVU - say "If you can commit to us next season, you're in. Otherwise, we'll move to the next school on our list." With a move from a non-BCS to a BCS conference on the line, that hardball approach would probably work.

I guess they didn't because:

a) They expected to have all 3 departing schools next season, and just set their invites up for after that. Then were surprised at how hard WVU pushed to get out.

b) There is more $$ to be made by playing another year with the existing schools than the incoming ones or it would be a pain to address the changes in content in the existing/expiring TV contracts, etc. Either way, the conference didn't want to be the one to force the issue by bringing in the new lineup early.

So they made their plans for 2013 before the 2012 lineup was established.
The Big East is not exactly in a position to be issuing ultimatums like the Big XII...

The Big East is not exactly in a position to be issuing ultimatums like the Big XII...
Not to a major school, or even some of those that actually joined. But as long as they remain in the BCS, even if it's for only a couple more seasons, that's a big carrot to dangle to the havenots. You don't think Central Florida would've gotten out of CUSA if we said "Be here next year or we're inviting East Carolina instead"?

Not to a major school, or even some of those that actually joined. But as long as they remain in the BCS, even if it's for only a couple more seasons, that's a big carrot to dangle to the havenots. You don't think Central Florida would've gotten out of CUSA if we said "Be here next year or we're inviting East Carolina instead"?
Obviously it's a big carrot, but I think Boise, Utah, and TCU have shown that if your talent level is high enough to run through conference play and make it by that one tough non-conf game then a BCS bowl game is highly likely. I could see UCF taking the bait because they're in the right situation. I just don't think any of the non-BCS teams have the talent to take the conference this year outside of UCF and Boise, and these teams realize they probably have a better chance with going undefeated from a weaker conference. I don't know much about the non-BCS teams this year though so I might be wrong.