If CDRW is the best we have behind Shrader | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If CDRW is the best we have behind Shrader

Dino and his OC/QB coaches over 8 years have done a crap job of recruiting and developing QBs, that simple. They missed on their top targets year after year(minus Devito) and didn’t have viable plan Bs. So we had to settle and look where we are now. No depth and our best QB, though a great runner and a gamer, just isn’t that great against better competition even when healthy. There are a myriad of reasons why Babers has failed, this is number one. Obviously it doesn’t help when you do a poor job of recruiting OL and developing what, on paper, were some pretty good WRs. The offense has been a joke since 2019

I'm not sure I buy this since Shrader was coming off arm surgery and hadn't even been throwing when Lamson left. At that point in time, how did anyone know if Shrader was even going to be able to play?

Just my opinion, but I think I fooled myself last spring into thinking we had multiple QBs who could play.

In reality, I think we had one who could play if 100% healthy and 0 who could play if that one wasn't 100% healthy.

I believe that CDRW, Lamson, Davis, Morgan would just be rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

CDRW...it was weird. This guy was so very UNPREPARED to play.
I'm not saying he was good last year ...(cuz he wasn't).
But it seemed that his emotions were hardly under control last week.
This is his 3rd season/year at the college level.
"Act like you've been there before."
Maybe we'll see something a bit more mature...

with 4 pics:rolleyes:

CDRW...it was weird. This guy was so very UNPREPARED to play.
I'm not saying he was good last year ...(cuz he wasn't).
But it seemed that his emotions were hardly under control last week.
This is his 3rd season/year at the college level.
"Act like you've been there before."
Maybe we'll see something a bit more mature...

with 4 pics:rolleyes:

What I don't understand is how the #58th best prospect in the country could be so bad.

Let’s find out. Who cares!

Worse than 7-17 for 37 yards and 4 ints against BC at home in a dome?

READ THAT STAT LINE FOLKS
Unless that QB got sacked a half dozen times and hurried on another 15 pass plays, that signals a QB with low grade 1AA/FCS talent trying to be a P5 QB.

What I don't understand is how the #58th best prospect in the country could be so bad.
Failure by the staff to develop him? Overrated by recruiting services because of his raw athleticism? Bad attitude and poor work ethic on his part?

I think it's just perplexing to see 2 QBs leave the team in the off season when the guys who remained are that bad.
If you think the staff has picked who is going to be next and you think you have not gotten a fair shake, you will leave even if you know the designated Next Man UP sucks. Because you want coaches smarter than that.

The best QB on the squad might be playing TE. Personally, the situation clearly called for a change at QB. His passes were off, he only completed throws in the flat and seemed to have his technique break down when he threw the fly pattern. His head was completely out of position. CDRW is a nice athlete but seems to have regressed since we first saw him play. MacPhail or Davis should get some run but I know that's not Dino's style.

Ball was a little bit behind him, but Hatcher literally had the ball in his hands for a catch and the Dback just took it from him. Not even the first time that’s happened this season.
Yup. That INT is not 50% on each guy. It’s 90% a terrible job by Hatcher there

Failure by the staff to develop him? Overrated by recruiting services because of his raw athleticism? Bad attitude and poor work ethic on his part?

CDRW, last Friday, showed a lot of symptoms of a guy in his own head. By his mannerisms, you can tell he is jittery and wants to succeed SO bad.

Coaching definitely is in play here. He threw the ball so differently (a lot more lobs over the middle of the field) than we have seen in the past. Usually, he just gripped it and ripped it 100 miles per hour. Makes you wonder if he actually got to throw the ball when he came in for the blowouts, if that would have helped his learning curve.

Definitely a disconnect between Dino's QB recruiting and development. Devito and Lamson were his two early recruiting cycle gets (Sellers would have been 3). Devito struggled here, Lamson hasn't been much of a thrower at Stanford either.

Ball was behind him, Hatcher was covered, other guys were open. Agree Hatcher should have made play but still a poor pass and into coverage. He looked for Hatcher (stared him down) on every play, he cant check down or look off a defense. Wonder if he is always so hyped up, even in practice or if its a game day thing? Prefer QBs who remain calm, especially under pressure

Ball was behind him, Hatcher was covered, other guys were open. Agree Hatcher should have made play but still a poor pass and into coverage. He looked for Hatcher (stared him down) on every play, he cant check down or look off a defense. Wonder if he is always so hyped up, even in practice or if its a game day thing? Prefer QBs who remain calm, especially under pressure
From watching CDRW first hand on the sidelines after every series, he never seemed "hyped up." In fact, sitting on the bench he seemed just the opposite. Seemed relaxed, smiling, rarely sat with the other starters. Personally, I only saw him interact with Beck a handful of times between series. It seemed odd to me.

I openly admit that the behavior and demeanor I saw could mean absolutely nothing relative to what was really going on in his head. FWIW, i was close enough to actually hear the conversations. Just sharing what I think I saw.

The best QB on the squad might be playing TE. Personally, the situation clearly called for a change at QB. His passes were off, he only completed throws in the flat and seemed to have his technique break down when he threw the fly pattern. His head was completely out of position. CDRW is a nice athlete but seems to have regressed since we first saw him play. MacPhail or Davis should get some run but I know that's not Dino's style.
Unfortunately, if Villari was the best, he wouldnt be playing TE

If Shrader threw that same pass the narrative would be much different.

From watching CDRW first hand on the sidelines after every series, he never seemed "hyped up." In fact, sitting on the bench he seemed just the opposite. Seemed relaxed, smiling, rarely sat with the other starters. Personally, I only saw him interact with Beck a handful of times between series. It seemed odd to me.

I openly admit that the behavior and demeanor I saw could mean absolutely nothing relative to what was really going on in his head. FWIW, i was close enough to actually hear the conversations. Just sharing what I think I saw.

He at one point was slapping himself in the head, I vaguely recollect with both hands. Did anyone else catch that ?

I think he gets very angry at himself but to the degree it has a negative impact on his performance.

Honestly, we could be surprised with Davis or MacPhail. I know we didn't win a ton of games with him, but Mahoney was definitely a pleasant surprise, in terms of his position on the depth chart. If I remember right he was a walk-on when he joined the program. I thought he was very serviceable for the position he was put in.

CDRW, last Friday, showed a lot of symptoms of a guy in his own head. By his mannerisms, you can tell he is jittery and wants to succeed SO bad.

Coaching definitely is in play here. He threw the ball so differently (a lot more lobs over the middle of the field) than we have seen in the past. Usually, he just gripped it and ripped it 100 miles per hour. Makes you wonder if he actually got to throw the ball when he came in for the blowouts, if that would have helped his learning curve.

Definitely a disconnect between Dino's QB recruiting and development. Devito and Lamson were his two early recruiting cycle gets (Sellers would have been 3). Devito struggled here, Lamson hasn't been much of a thrower at Stanford either.
Funny you mention that. I brought a buddy to the game who doesn't usually follow and I said this QB just rifles the ball. He will throw it through the receivers chest.

I be
I'm not sure I buy this since Shrader was coming off arm surgery and hadn't even been throwing when Lamson left. At that point in time, how did anyone know if Shrader was even going to be able to play?

If coaches actually said that without open competition then they should be fired for negligence or dereliction of duty. Man I don't even know HS coaches that promise returning starters their jobs before the season starts. How do you get everyone to show up and compete then. (but then again seems totally plausible for Babers.)
The person who told me this would know as well as anyone other than Lamson and possibly his parents.

Unfortunately, if Villari was the best, he wouldnt be playing TE
I did say "might be playing QB" somewhat tongue-in-cheek. And don't forget he was moved to TE when Shrader was still playing, so your point is spot on if GS was still in the lineup. Now he is injured and CDRW has had several reps with awful results. Clearly Villari is an athlete and stepped up come gametime.

But wait. We keep getting 4 star transfer QBs from SEC schools. We have the best QB depth the program has ever had. And if you try to tell me the 4 stars are meaningless once they were found to be busts against college level competition at their former schools, I'll insist this is the most talent we've ever recruited to the team at one time, and we should be doing cartwheels we have so many stars in our QB room.

Hatcher was open and absolutely the right one to throw to. If the pass was accurate he walks in. But it was accurate enough to catch and unbelievably weak of Hatcher to hand it over.

Honestly, we could be surprised with Davis or MacPhail. I know we didn't win a ton of games with him, but Mahoney was definitely a pleasant surprise, in terms of his position on the depth chart. If I remember right he was a walk-on when he joined the program. I thought he was very serviceable for the position he was put in.
Trying to be accurate here based on what I've seen. CDRW played pretty well off the bench vs UConn and ND last year. He's been atrocious as a starter - last year and this year. Does it make sense? No.

I don't see why the staff let him play the whole game last week. He has regressed. C'mon, you have to be able to read what's happening right in front of your eyes. He wasn't effective and playing him longer wasn't helping. Then he turned his ankle and couldn't walk... but they put him back in.

We really know nothing about Braden Davis. But we saw Luke MacPhail* play more minutes in the last 2 spring games than anyone else, incl QB Villari. The kid was poised. He threw better in those games than CDRW is throwing right now. Neither of them are runners. Morgan wasn't a runner either, but he did play with more poise than CDRW has.

*For his HS career, MacPhail completed 496 of 772 passes for 7,195 yards, 85 touchdowns and 9 interceptions.

Will Dino's career start with a walk on QB vs Pitt, and end with a walk on QB vs Pitt? Maybe Dino will surprise us Saturday, remember the coach he used to be, and play MacPhail.

Zach Mahoney's line vs Pitt: "completions (43), attempts (61) and passing yards (440). His 43 completions were two shy of Ryan Nassib's [SU] record of 45."

If not, it just shows how different Dino's aggressiveness on offense is now compared to 2016.

He beat him out. He wanted a chance to compete in the fall to start and was told the job was Shraders . That is why i was told by someone who probably knows better than anyone other than his parents why he transferred.
This narrative that Lamson was deep down the depth chart and an afterthought is untrue.

And I know that without knowing the conversation you had lol.

I be

The person who told me this would know as well as anyone other than Lamson and possibly his parents.
Shrader told you and you already said it was him. I don’t know why we need to keep rehashing this lol.

Lamson was #2, wanted a chance to compete to start and was told no way, no how.

I’m not sure why people are surprised by that considering how poorly managed this program is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom