If ESPN ever puts circles under players | Syracusefan.com

If ESPN ever puts circles under players

stuckinbig11

All American
in men's bball games, like they did in the women's championship game, it will be time to boycott.

You must have been watching one of the augmented Megacast streams.

You must have been watching one of the augmented Megacast streams.

whew, I hope so

A broadcast enhancement I wish would happen is a graphic that immediately indicates on whom a foul was called. At the game, one can see the number the referee holds-up. On television, the camera doesn’t often catch it and announcers are usually knee-deep in BS human-internet storytelling. Personal fouls are a consequential part of the game. In the first half, Jesse Edwards committing a foul is more important than a made basket. Too often the viewer is kept in the dark.

Last edited:
A broadcast enhancement I wish would happen is a graphic that immediately indicates on whom a foul was called. At the game, one can see the number the referee holds-up. On television, the camera doesn’t often catch it and announcers are usually knee-deep in BS human-internet storytelling. Personal fouls are a consequential part of the game. In the first half, Jessie Edwards committing a foul is more important than a made basket. Too often the viewer is kept in the dark.
Agree 100%. Seems like announcers used to be much better at this, before they started talking about everything else but the game, as you mention.

Last edited:
in men's bball games, like they did in the women's championship game, it will be time to boycott.
I thought it was ok and after a while not even noticeable. I watched the Bird and Taurasi broadcast in the 2nd half. I'd give them a C+ at best. Nothing like Eli and Peyton who really break down the X's and O's.

A broadcast enhancement I wish would happen is a graphic that immediately indicates on whom a foul was called. At the game, one can see the number the referee holds-up. On television, the camera doesn’t often catch it and announcers are usually knee-deep in BS human-internet storytelling. Personal fouls are a consequential part of the game. In the first half, Jessie Edwards committing a foul is more important than a made basket. Too often the viewer is kept in the dark.
Officials used to (late 80s, early 90s) more obviously point to the offending player, but now they don't. They would raise one arm to stop the clock and the other would point at the player. Then they would go report it to the scorer's table. I wish they'd go back to that if they don't do your graphics suggestion.

Not a game went by where there wasn't a foul in the paint and I was sweating for a full minute or so hoping it wasn't on Jesse. And of course it usually was on Jesse.

Last edited:
Not a game went by where there was a foul in the paint and I was sweating for a full minute or so hoping it wasn't on Jesse. And of course it usually was on Jesse.

Speaking of fouls, the NCAAT trend of fewer fouls was interesting. I do wonder if that continues or not. Or if it's another chapter in the massive lack of consistency in college hoops officiating.

Agree 100%. Seems like announcers used to be much better at this, before they started talking about everything else but the game, as you mention.
If you are going to talk about the game, you have to know what's going on... Which might require your homework before the game to be completed. If you just name drop who you had beers with at the hotel bar, it's harder for people to figure out you haven't watched any college basketball before being hired to comment.

Drives me absolutely crazy when they barely acknowledge a foul just occurred, let alone inform viewers who the foul is on and what the updated personal/team foul count is. Like you say, it used to be standard, required in-game basketball broadcasting 101. Now they're too busy interviewing coaches' wives or yuckking it up over some inane anecdote

Drives me absolutely crazy when they barely acknowledge a foul just occurred, let alone inform viewers who the foul is on and what the updated personal/team foul count is. Like you say, it used to be standard, required in-game basketball broadcasting 101. Now they're too busy interviewing coaches' wives or yuckking it up over some inane anecdote
Yes! I actually keep the ESPN live boxscore up on my laptop while I am watching our games so I can keep track of things better. Sad that it's necessary, but it is.

I remember when I did P90X you had the option of putting silent mode or full audio... You also had the option of "cues only" where most of the audio was muted, but you only had to hear Tony Horton when he was telling you something important.

Basketball games need this mode.

Not a game went by where there wasn't a foul in the paint and I was sweating for a full minute or so hoping it wasn't on Jesse. And of course it usually was on Jesse.
Yeah, you're hitting refresh on the live box score until somebody's fouls line changes.

Good announcing shouldn't be so rare... WAER alumni can't be so hard to find, can they?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom