If Hopkins gets a Power Six offer in the offseason, should Jim step aside? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Hopkins gets a Power Six offer in the offseason, should Jim step aside?

Should Jim step aside for Mike if need be?

• Yes, even forcibly removed by the AD if need be

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Yes, but only on his own accord

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • No, because he's earned to leave when he chooses

Votes: 51 71.8%
  • No, because Hopkins is worth losing

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters
i've always maintained that HOP should leave and prove he can build something elsewhere on his own. shouldda been done 10 years ago. i heard something about USC. great. test his wings. he can always return later and with some leverage if he's successful. if not. surfs up dude.

I wouldn't have a problem with that, either. Frankly, I can't imagine that staying there long term would trump the opportunity to return to his alma mater down the road if it comes to that.

And if he succeds--disco, then there is no downside to him departing. But if he proves that he doesn't have the chops to be a head coach, there's no harm to our program--we'll avoid a mistake.

jb is done after this year is what I am hearing
I believe this. He seems to have a shorter fuse (Katz) than even normal for him. The changes in the game that make it a miserable fan experience for us must make life even more miserable for a coach who values the old game. The issues with Fab and Southy that are so disruptive to the team, yet totally beyond his control. The demise of the BE, a thorn in his side. And of course having to deal with bathrobe issues. On the other side, what would drive him to stay? He won't ever catch K, league and national titles won't come any easier in the ACC, and he has set the program up for a generation of success in the future. That's quite a legacy, now if he can retire, have more time with Julie and the family, play golf, travel and raise money for his causes, it actually would be a wonderful way to spend time while he can.

I believe this. He seems to have a shorter fuse (Katz) than even normal for him. The changes in the game that make it a miserable fan experience for us must make life even more miserable for a coach who values the old game. The issues with Fab and Southy that are so disruptive to the team, yet totally beyond his control. The demise of the BE, a thorn in his side. And of course having to deal with bathrobe issues. On the other side, what would drive him to stay? He won't ever catch K, league and national titles won't come any easier in the ACC, and he has set the program up for a generation of success in the future. That's quite a legacy, now if he can retire, have more time with Julie and the family, play golf, travel and raise money for his causes, it actually would be a wonderful way to spend time while he can.

Hes not stepping down after this year.

The only real downside is if he leaves and is "too good" of a coach and his salary expectations skyrocketed. If he had a Shaka-like start to his career, I could see a school like USC throwing a blank check at him, which SU would then have to match. Maybe a recruit or two might choose to reconsider as well.

Again, it's amazing what a two game losing streak can do. Can you imagine such a poll being posted last week? A couple fewer turnovers down the stretch vs. Marquette and we'd all be happy campers. And the results speak for themselves.

Depends how you look at it... this has been the first year that I can remember that game after game there are just head scratchers in regards to Jim's personnel on the court and game strategy. Yes, there will always be those who are out to get JB... but I think alot of people here are just too much in to the Kool-Aid.

I agree that Jim should and will never be forced out, but he has become too stubborn for his own good. The premise that MCW and Triche can play the whole game is valid, but they are both playing horribly. You have to get creative and get more guys out there.

Not sure what to think of this team.. it enrages me when people say Jim has gotten everything he could have from this team, its just not the case. Its ok to admit that he is having an off year coaching. It happens. Sometimes you just make the wrong moves, or fail to make the right ones...

Big risk for Hopkins if he leaves. He has a top 10-15 job being given to him within the next few (maybe couple) years. If he fails at USC...what then? He would have to find a lower-lever job and work his way back. Does he really want to risk doing that after years and years of waiting?

if he's making this call on "fear of failure" i don't want him anyway.

As frustrated as I am with Jimmy recently, I don't believe he should ever be forced out. I also believe like everyone else that Hop is the next coach and will do great. But not every one in the National Media believe it and I'm sure they have their sources. They believe that when it comes time, Syracuse will get cold feet and will conduct a National Search. I mean this is a top 10 job in the country and it would be a shame not to just look around. Maybe look at some of the top young coaches in the game. There are a lot of coaches out their doing more with less talent. Its impossible to tell what some of those coaches could do with the talent Syracuse has.

jb is done after this year is what I am hearing

Unless something has changed, he and Juli were planning to take the family to a Hawaii early season tournament.

Has anyone discussed strategy with Hopkins at all? Interviews, personal conversations, anything?

Biggest questions I think will be 2-3 zone and our scheduling. Interested in what his opinions are.

There are a lot of coaches out their doing more with less talent. Its impossible to tell what some of those coaches could do with the talent Syracuse has Hopkins and JB have brought to the program.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Ya because were a top 10 program. I'm pretty sure a Mark Few, Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan, or another young coach with that type of resume could bring in the same type of talent as JB and Hop at a program like Syracuse. Look at the Melo Center and the Dome, they pretty much sell themselves. Syracuse's basketball facilities are the best in the country besides maybe Kentucky.

I have often been critical of certain aspects of Jimmy's coaching. However, the body of work is overwhelming and speaks for itself. Not to mention what he means to the community. Nobody can be serious about having Jimmy depart on anything other than his own terms.

That being said, it does not appear that this year's team will make a serious NC run. Next year there will be plenty of talent, but probably too little experience. It will most likely be a rebuilding year by Cuse standards. A potential serious NC run is probably two years away. One has to wonder if coaching is still fun for Jimmy in view of some of his recent comments to the press. So, all that being said, unless Jimmy wants to coach for several more years, the end of this season might be good time to retire from his own perspective. No need for him to go to the ACC as a mid-pack team for one season.

So my guess, from way out in the far west, is that Jimmy either hangs up at the end of the season or that he will be back for at least two more years to try and make another serious FF run with what should be a deep, talented, and experienced 2014 team.

I'm looking forward to Hopkins, and even as much as i'm not a JB fan, there's no way i force him out — not for this reason.

Looking for JB to move on. No questioning what he has accomplished, but at times his behavior is just such a negative for the University, not to mention how it reflects on his own reputation. If he could avoid press conferences after he loses it would help, but that's not gonna happen. His run ins with the press are becoming more frequent and if his team actually had a further losing streak, it would get really ugly.

Anyone who thinks that JB should be forced to retire is out of their minds. He is a hall of fame coach. He is the face of Syracuse University Sports, He is regarded as one of the best minds in all of basketball He should be and will be allowed to coach as long as he wants. If Hop decides that he wants to take another job i wish him luck.

this indeed would be a top ten job opening. list of candidates would be long and distinguished. (LMJ).

copyright top gun

I don't think that there is any way that Boeheim would be "forced" to step aside. I do however believe that if an opportunity presented itself that would possibly lead Hop away from SU, there would be a discussion behind closed doors. If by his retirement he could elevate Hopkins to HC and keep him in Syracuse, I think JB would strongly consider it, even if a couple of years ahead of his intended personal timeframe. But it would indubitably be JB's choice in the end. This isn’t pro football where a jackass owner like Jerry Jones can fire a living legend Tom Landry style.

Why speculate? Let's just have Jeff Goodman ask him after the next game. It's not about coaching strategy, so he'll be glad to answer, right?

I cannot imagine Hop ever in a million years making a power play towards the coaching job - no way in hell does he say give me the job now or I'm taking this one over here. I'm thinking JB sticks around 2 more years and hangs them up after McCullough's frosh year. Mike knows he does not have much longer to wait. And I'm sure he'd rather have this job than any other. Is is possible he could leave for a USC or some job like that? Possible but not probable. And if he went, I'd wish him nothing but the best. I'm sure SU would have plenty of capable people wanting the job if that occurred.

JB built this program and he has earned the right to leave on his terms.
Who knows, Hopkins may not even be a good head coach. Look at what happened to Georgetown when their program was turned over to John Thompson's long time assistant.

Yeah. Would you trade one of the best coaches of all time for a guy who hasn't won a game?

History say that its a coin flip that Hopkins works out at all. It's a lottery ticket he can coach as well as JB.

Yeah. Would you trade one of the best coaches of all time for a guy who hasn't won a game?

History say that its a coin flip that Hopkins works out at all. It's a lottery ticket he can coach as well as JB.
Well, not exactly. He has been a great recruiter and he coaches half of all practices. Plus, he has some things that jb didn't have his entire career. The Melo center isn't going anywhere. Neither is the Dome.

Guess it's time for me to weigh in. Myself, I went for the second option. If Hopkins got an offer and said he was going unless the head coach spot was opening up, say, that offseason, or after the next season, I would hope JB would willingly move aside. I wouldn't want to see the AD force him out, but I would hope JB would have the courtesy to realize, hey, it's been 40 years. There's nothing more for me to accomplish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom