If I'm Dino | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If I'm Dino

I really don't put what we've seen on Gilbert's play calling. He's calling the game based on our strengths. People complain that we're one dimensional when we run the ball loke crazy, then they complain we're taking it out of Tucker's hands when we try to pass against a heavy box.

We were warned about Gilbert by the USF fans up front but I agree that it would be impossible for virtually any OC to put together a viable offensive gameplan for 12 games with our weaknesses.

If there's enough talent, any one of us could run the offense and they'd be ok.

We don't have enough talent, and that's not on Gilbert...yet. It's on Dino though.

Regardless, I think we have a legit chance against Pitt on senior night in the Dome, and them having little to play for. So this should all be tabled until late next Saturday night.

We were warned about Gilbert by the USF fans up front but I agree that it would be impossible for virtually any OC to put together a viable offensive gameplan for 12 games with our weaknesses.
We were warned and I don't think they were right. We don't always run up the gut on 1st down. We sometimes try to pass, we sometimes run zone to the side. We've attempted to pass short. We've attempted to pass deep. The QB has run on first down. With WRs that don't do WR things and an inaccurate QB we're going to get what we have.

Last edited:
We have a QB that is below Avg throwing, we have at best Avg Wrs, we dont have a #1 WR, we have TE issues. We lost our best FB type, we lost our best oline grouping and then had another get sick. What we have is a #1 RB and teams scheme it. Just what OC is gonna do much with that.. Shrader can run but he isnt Cunnignham back there and he has 2-3 guys who can run at WR. so much love for the Wake offense but they have 2-3 WRs who win 50/50s all game long we barely win the 80/20 throws.

I get that on 3rd and long we will have issues thats why we need to stay ahead of the chains. thats why we try shorter passes and runs.. But hey lets run play action against run blitzes that goes well. Play action works when the LBs are sitting down because of the run, not when they are attacking the run.

If there's enough talent, any one of us could run the offense and they'd be ok.

We don't have enough talent, and that's not on Gilbert...yet. It's on Dino though.

Regardless, I think we have a legit chance against Pitt on senior night in the Dome, and them having little to play for. So this should all be tabled until late next Saturday night.
The lack of WR recruting is baffling. After the seasons AET and Ishmael had I would have thought we could have found at least a couple guys that would've been good upperclassmen for us by now. I really don't get that.

QB is a huge issue. That pass to a wide open Cooper where he could've walked 50 yards into the endzone sealed the deal for me on this current QB. The only thing he can do is run. It's becoming easier to defend us which is evident the last two games. Key on Tucker and have your left DE and left LB stay home for Shrader to pull it. There is literally zero threat to complete a pass over 5 yards.
I could not agree more, it is really hard to win when your QB can not make a simple 5 yard slant throw.

I give all the practice reps to Morgan with a focus on the passing game. I start Morgan in the Pitt game with a passing game plan. I ride him for at least two drives. If things go well, keep him in. After that, don't hesitate to bring in GS to mix it up. If fact, switching up GS and JM every few drives seems attractive at this point.

At all times, the running game featuring Tucker should be used!

Why? Because if we come out with the same @#*&^% game plan that we have had the last two games, Pitt will be ready and we will lose!

I know that the football mind set says not to go to with two QBs, but screw that! - we need to do something different to win, if nothing more than to start a QB who is a capable passer.
It won’t work in my opinion. DB will not let him roll out and throw on the run. That is where he was most affective prior to the buy last year and then it seemed he was told to stay in the pocket. That is when he got knocked out of the game. I see the same thing with GS. It seems they do not want to creat any designed roll outs to throw and only stay in the pocket. Or have a safety valve TE or RB if he rolls out.

It won’t work in my opinion. DB will not let him roll out and throw on the run. That is where he was most affective prior to the buy last year and then it seemed he was told to stay in the pocket. That is when he got knocked out of the game. I see the same thing with GS. It seems they do not want to creat any designed roll outs to throw and only stay in the pocket. Or have a safety valve TE or RB if he rolls out.
he isnt good throwing on the run really.. he has completed a couple but most often he throws it off the wrong foot and when he has time to set he still throws it off balance. like the Cooper throw. Once he got where he could throw it he rushed it when he had all kinds of time to get set and make the throw. he is better out of the pocket when its been scramble throws than when its been roll outs.

If you want any chance to win, run option to the left all game. Forget about a passing game altogether.
This is the ACC. Option only isn’t going to work

I give all the practice reps to Morgan with a focus on the passing game. I start Morgan in the Pitt game with a passing game plan. I ride him for at least two drives. If things go well, keep him in. After that, don't hesitate to bring in GS to mix it up. If fact, switching up GS and JM every few drives seems attractive at this point.

Why? Because if we come out with the same @#*&^% game plan that we have had the last two games, Pitt will be ready and we will lose!

I know that the football mind set says not to go to with two QBs, but screw that! - we need to do something different to win, if nothing more than to start a QB who is a capable passer.
I am fine with doing anything to insert a passing threat. Opposing teams have figured out how to defend our two headed running attack.

That's the problem. Shrader has nothing to do with game plan. I put a lot of this on Gilbert and his inability to utilize the teams strengths.

That's the problem. Shrader has nothing to do with game plan. I put a lot of this on Gilbert and his inability to utilize the teams strengths.
No. Other teams are gameplanning to take away our strengths and we have no counter. There has to be a semblance of balance. We aren't 1995 Nebraska.

Running tucker 14 times and keeping Shrader in the pocket, aint a good game plan..
Shrader had 17 carries too. I'm sure most of the runs were read option where the defense took Tucker away. That's gonna happen. But read option is one of the few ways we've been able to make defenses account for someone other than Tucker and open up room for him. I'm not sure why it's so hard for people to understand that oppossing defenses know he's our best player and they will sell out to take the ball out of his hands. Until we make them pay for that, it won't change. We could just hand the ball to Tucker against a stacked box all day and then everyone will complain Gilbert is predictable as Tucker gets stuffed and we go continuously 3 and out.

We have no passing game. That is THE problem.

Shrader had 17 carries too. I'm sure most of the runs were read option where the defense took Tucker away. That's gonna happen. But read option is one of the few ways we've been able to make defenses account for someone other than Tucker and open up room for him. I'm not sure why it's so hard for people to understand that oppossing defenses know he's our best player and they will sell out to take the ball out of his hands. Until we make them pay for that, it won't change. We could just hand the ball to Tucker against a stacked box all day and then everyone will complain Gilbert is predictable as Tucker gets stuffed and we go continuously 3 and out.

We have no passing game. That is THE problem.

He rushed for over 100 yards on 14 carries?

He rushed for over 100 yards on 14 carries?

We came out throwing to change things up knowing NC State would stop the run. Thats not a bad thing to do, you have to make an attempt to soften up the defense. We couldn't pass so we went back to running with limited success. Minus Tucker's 55 yard run he had 50 yards on 13 carries. Sure we should have given hime another 6-8 carries (btw 20-25) but A) we're playing catchup and B) the running game was putting us in bad down and distance. Giving Tucker 25 carries wouldn't have changed the outcome at all.

Yeah. Why would anyone expect a change for the last game of the year? What's going to change in a week that hasn't the previous 14 or 15?
We're not talking next year, we're talking winning the next game to get to a bowl and have something the coaches can talk to recruits about. We also need to show our current WRs and WR recruits that we have a QB that can actually throw a catchable ball to them.

Shrader starts. But you make it clear to all 3 that it’s an open competition in the spring.
Spring is toooooooo late.

Spring is toooooooo late.

As agitated as Dino seemed in the morning's presser, maybe he gives someone else a series or two in the first half.

The lack of WR recruting is baffling. After the seasons AET and Ishmael had I would have thought we could have found at least a couple guys that would've been good upperclassmen for us by now. I really don't get that.
How well do you think the offseason WR recruiting will go when the coaches have to point to another 8/20, 63 yd, 3.2 yd avg game!?

If Shrade doesn't significantly improve his passing this off season Dino will go with Morgan or Lamson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom