If I'm Dino | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

If I'm Dino

I read that as slowly as I could.

I'm no longer enamored with Dino. I'm not on the fire Dino train just yet, but not going to defend him either. My issue is that he can't sell enough talent on coming here. Maybe no one can, certainly debatable.

There's no easy button on playcalling when your line is being shuffled and struggles, your QB is way more runner than thrower, and your receivers are physically overmatched by the opposing DBs.

Get more talent, or better develop what you have, and playcalling will look better. I'm not saying it's perfect (how would I know), but it's way too easy to see failing plays and blame the playcall.

A couple weeks ago there was a former coach in the Packer and Durham show, forget his name. But he said something that makes you think and was profound.

“Recruiting beats coaching every single time”.

I didn't say anyone was happy. I'm just saying there are a lot excuse makers for DB. What is your limit for lossing seasons? Obviously losing 5 out 6 is not a big deal for you. Is it 10 out of 11?
How well did we play? Did we lose three games by 3 points? Or lose all of them by 30+?

I don't have a limit - because that's a dumb way of thinking. The only question that matters is "do you have faith in the HC to deliver on the goals of the AD and University?" which is much different than "how many losing seasons is ok?" ...

I don't evaluate using winning % all by itself. I will say and have said if we don't get to a bowl this year, I could completely understand moving on *if* Wildhack has HC candidates who he believes in and who are available.

Don't mistake nuance for homerism

They had a QB that could throw but it didn't make any difference. The common denominator is coaching.
No. Correction, he had the arm to throw. There is a difference. If you think there is one denominator in all this, your math is wrong.

A 6 year track record tells what we have had, and what we should expect in the future. I am by no means an expert on the intricacies of football, but what I do know is what we have seen is almost certain to be what we will get moving forward. So, unless something radically changes (either in the way Dino does things, or in who leads the program), something like 4-6 wins a year with an occasional outlier on either end is what I anticipate going forward. Any other expectation, IMHO, would be foolhardy. I’m still struggling with how to deal with that.

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago there was a former coach in the Packer and Durham show, forget his name. But he said something that makes you think and was profound.

Dave Clawson and Wake Forest disagree.

QB is a huge issue. That pass to a wide open Cooper where he could've walked 50 yards into the endzone sealed the deal for me on this current QB. The only thing he can do is run. It's becoming easier to defend us which is evident the last two games. Key on Tucker and have your left DE and left LB stay home for Shrader to pull it. There is literally zero threat to complete a pass over 5 yards.
I don't know how anyone could watch this guy throw the ball and not think it is a problem

Play calling. That’s it!
We can just scheme guys open if we wanted to. For some reason lots of schools choose to scheme people covered. No one can tell me what those schemes are but I just take their word for it

Hre said if you take one of your four wr from over here and put them over there, he will be open

Last edited:
If there was ever an offense that needs extra possessions and field position it’s this years team. Unfortunately, this defense has not created any turnovers. We may be last in the country in forced turnovers. For some reason this defense can’t create any.

How well did we play? Did we lose three games by 3 points? Or lose all of them by 30+?

I don't have a limit - because that's a dumb way of thinking. The only question that matters is "do you have faith in the HC to deliver on the goals of the AD and University?" which is much different than "how many losing seasons is ok?" ...

I don't evaluate using winning % all by itself. I will say and have said if we don't get to a bowl this year, I could completely understand moving on *if* Wildhack has HC candidates who he believes in and who are available.

Don't mistake nuance for homerism
"I don't have a limit - because that's a dumb way of thinking. The only question that matters is "do you have faith in the HC to deliver on the goals of the AD and University?" which is much different than "how many losing seasons is ok?" ..."

That is what a losing fanbase says that doesn't care about wins. It fits you perfectly!!!

We are in a hole. There is little reason for enough good recruits to come here. That is who we are. Changing coaches will not fix things. We are stuck. The sad truth is that if we got a new coach and he was successful, he woud be hired away by a bigger franchise. Any reprieve would be temporary, like at Wazoo. I don't know how Kentucky broke out. A miracle? Coaching change? Facility upgrades? Basketball oriented teams like AZ, Kansas, Cuse seem to be stuck in football mud forever.

Last edited:
Yeah I think there is a problem with his arm. His throws are clearly worse. He was serviceable passing before vt.
That last throw against Virginia Tech where he got speared as he released the ball was probably when he got hurt.
Two lineman blocked air on that play. That's why our QB should never try passing from the pocket. Too many times our OL completely miss blocks.

Your missing the jist of the issue. This isn't a video game where you just plug in a different character and it works. They guy you want to,put in couldn't win the back up job despite being in the system longer than the transfer. He's not good. The other guy (Lamson) may uitimately be better but he likely hasn't taken a snap with the regular offense since preseason, if even then. He's on the scout team. If you think the playcalling is limited now, it would be even moreso with him in the lineup.

There are no changes at QB available this week that make us better.
Remember when Devito subbed in for Ed and saved the UNC game? That was without starter reps for the week. He might have done that for another game also.

QB is a huge issue. That pass to a wide open Cooper where he could've walked 50 yards into the endzone sealed the deal for me on this current QB. The only thing he can do is run. It's becoming easier to defend us which is evident the last two games. Key on Tucker and have your left DE and left LB stay home for Shrader to pull it. There is literally zero threat to complete a pass over 5 yards.
I'm glad you made the wide open Cooper remark. Many are blaming the WRs, but I keep seeing references that GS is not seeing open WRs, and hearing announcers mention the same thing during the game. Also, TD was repeatedly blasted for not seeing the many open WRs while he was QB - so many open WRs he missed! Now that GS is QB, all of a sudden the WRs are no longer open?

Hmmm. I wonder if our WRs are getting a little over critisized lately.

I give all the practice reps to Morgan with a focus on the passing game. I start Morgan in the Pitt game with a passing game plan. I ride him for at least two drives. If things go well, keep him in. After that, don't hesitate to bring in GS to mix it up. If fact, switching up GS and JM every few drives seems attractive at this point.

At all times, the running game featuring Tucker should be used!

Why? Because if we come out with the same @#*&^% game plan that we have had the last two games, Pitt will be ready and we will lose!

I know that the football mind set says not to go to with two QBs, but screw that! - we need to do something different to win, if nothing more than to start a QB who is a capable passer.

If you are Dino then you won't do that because Dino has said that he isn't doing that. You would have to be somebody else to do that.

Remember when Devito subbed in for Ed and saved the UNC game? That was without starter reps for the week. He might have done that for another game also.
There's a difference between not getting starter reps and practicing with the scout team all year.

Remember when Devito game into the WMU game, we lost our huge lead, and ED had to come back in and prevent the loss? He might have also done that for another game. And that was with him getting second team reps, not practicing on the scout team.

If you are Dino then you won't do that because Dino has said that he isn't doing that. You would have to be somebody else to do that.
I was wondering if anyone was going to go down this path.

I'm glad you made the wide open Cooper remark. Many are blaming the WRs, but I keep seeing references that GS is not seeing open WRs, and hearing announcers mention the same thing during the game. Also, TD was repeatedly blasted for not seeing the many open WRs while he was QB - so many open WRs he missed! Now that GS is QB, all of a sudden the WRs are no longer open?

Nope they suck

I think both GS and the WRs are getting justified criticism. On TV I can't always see who is open but I can see the myriad of drops we've had. Those are on the WRs completely. There's blame to be shared.

The lack of WR recruting is baffling. After the seasons AET and Ishmael had I would have thought we could have found at least a couple guys that would've been good upperclassmen for us by now. I really don't get that.

We’ve recruited a million WR’s in 6 years. At this point it’s DB’s assessment of HS talent that is a huge issue at a position he should be a solid evaluator of.

How well do you think the offseason WR recruiting will go when the coaches have to point to another 8/20, 63 yd, 3.2 yd avg game!?

The problem is, we shouldn’t be at this point now. In year 6, having had a 10 win season and an exciting offense. This is all on the staff.

Let me walk you through it REAL slow. Many of you posters are so enamored with Dino that you can not see how bad he has failed this team. The bad play calling is just a small part of DB's inability to adjust during a game or to the strengths of certain players. Of course, you wouldn't understand that because you are worried about his feelings. It is so clear that this offense is stale and predictable based on the last two games. Teams have figured out SU's game plan and it is was not that hard for them.

I mean, a lot of people on this board were saying after a couple GS games that all the defense needed to do was “this and this” and it would be interesting to see how Gilbert adjusted. We also hoped by the time defenses adjusted GS would be throwing better, not worse.

It’s about the Jimmy’s & Joe’s, not the X’s & O’s… I’ve heard that from a handful of coaches. Definitely some merit to it, but it typically comes from former coaches.

I completely disagree with that statement. I think that applies to teams in the top 5-10, then maybe some outlier teams after that. It doesn’t apply to the other 70% of the teams. Evaluating 2-3 star talent, which are the kids most schools are filling their rosters with, player development, and game planning to put those players (who all have things they don’t do well) in the best positions possible is far more important than recruiting. Coaching matters to every team outside of the top 10 who are getting 4-5 star players that hide/cover up okay coaching.

The problem is, we shouldn’t be at this point now. In year 6, having had a 10 win season and an exciting offense. This is all on the staff.
We know they are mediocre. Results speak for themselves. To me the q is can we do better than mediocre at this juncture.

Someone said: what is the downside to switching it up every 3 years and try and find gold? I’m not there yet because I think mediocre is who we are and Dino is a good steward.

It’s about the Jimmy’s & Joe’s, not the X’s & O’s… I’ve heard that from a handful of coaches. Definitely some merit to it, but it typically comes from former coaches.

No surprise. “It’s not our fault the team won 4 games this year”. It takes blame away from the coaches and diverts it to players and recruits. Of course coaches are going to say that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom