If Marrone had stayed | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Marrone had stayed

I like Marrone and don't understand people's angst for him here. That said his offense took off when Pugh came back. Doug owes a lot of thanks to Justin Pugh.
It has to do with the way he handled quitting our job. He promised he wasn’t leaving to recruits and then left in the middle of the night. It was full on slime ball move.

It has to do with the way he handled quitting our job. He promised he wasn’t leaving to recruits and then left in the middle of the night. It was full on slime ball move.
Eh I'm jaded - its a slimy business and I think most high end D1 level athletes are well versed in it way before they get to campus.

I think he would have had Addazio-like results. Would SU have tired of 7-8 win seasons like BC did and canned him?

Yeah, the “he woulda won the ACC!” talk is a little crazy. He had an eight win season with the best roster he ever had. The following years weren’t as good roster-wise and he hated recruiting. Marrone was probably good enough to scrape 6-8 wins together almost every year, but I agree that was likely his ceiling.

Facilities started to get upgraded in part because he left - the track record of the school administrations for decades has been to be content with mediocrity and to fund football at as low a level as possible to have mediocrity be plausible. So honestly if he’d stuck around and had “success” getting Cuse to crappy bowls every year, we’d probably be in a worse position now than we are already.

I am convinced he would have won at least one ACC championship by now, would be making $5+ million per year and have gotten all the support he needed right at SU.

Instead, he is a 40-61 lifetime record NFL HC who is stuck as an Oline coach just waiting to be fired when his HC gets canned (which always happens).

He has moved his family 4 times.

He would have probably made the same or more money in the intervening years and be sitting with a 5-year contract with a big buyout.

As Gus Levy famous Goldman Sachs managing partner once said - it's foolish to be short-term greedy you should be long-term greedy

Doug was an opportunist who was short-term greedy. Witness his lousy decision when Buffalo wanted to keep him.

Doug made himself some money but he could be on the top of the world now. Could gave done better.

And for the record, I thought he was an excellent CFB HC and while I wished he hadn't left, I would not want him back.
I agree with much of this.

I thought then and I think now that he made a bad long term decision when he left Syracuse. I felt that in the long run he would eventually earn far more money here and would have a legacy career.

But, when an NFL team calls and a football man is given the chance to be a HC at the highest level, it is tough to turn it down.

I don't think he was being "greedy." I think he was being ambitious in his profession.

His decision to leave Buffalo was undoubtedly influenced by Bill Parcells who felt that the HC should never work for an owner who did not hire him. Doug might have over thought that situation.

The fact is that he was a pretty darn good NFL HC. Heck, he was basically one play away from taking the Jags to a Super Bowl.

I would welcome him back in a heartbeat.

Mack Brown understands NC and has had success the second time around. Schiano understands Rutgers and has once again turned the program around.

If you hire Doug Marrone, you check off a number of boxes: (1) from the NE; (2) understands the Syracuse Football Program - its heritage and its shortcomings; (3) a very good OL coach - crucial in my opinion - and a very good offensive coach; (4) a really strong leader; and (5) has a proven track record of fixing a dormant SU Football Program.

I can't imagine that it will happen but I think it would be a very good decision.

I hope Marrone is a serious candidate. He’s my number one choice.
The way he turned us around after the worst football in our history. Had some great staff members. One of which is still an NFL OC.
Marrone is my number one choice as well. It’s a no brainer. He installs discipline. His teams are well coached. His game planning and ability to adapt and Taylor his offense.

Beats WVU multiple times, Kansas State, Northwestern, Missou, 3-1 vs. Rutgers…guy won 4 games his first year with a team that should have won 0 games.

This should be option 1A, 1B and 1C.

Marrone is my number one choice as well. It’s a no brainer. He installs discipline. His teams are well coached. His game planning and ability to adapt and Taylor his offense.

Beats WVU multiple times, Kansas State, Northwestern, Missou, 3-1 vs. Rutgers…guy won 4 games his first year with a team that should have won 0 games.

I agree with most of that but not so sure with discipline. Our teams were at the bottom of the Big East his last 2 years in penalty yardage and not much better the other two years.

...then I think there would have been a dropoff. He was losing too many key principals -- and some really good players -- from that offense, with no real solid replacements on the roster.

I think he capitalized when the iron was hot, and it was a good move.

Not saying that the bottom would have dropped out like it did under Shafer, but the roster wasn't positioned for sustained success.

Agree with much of your sentiment. The last part, however, IMO, has at least as much, and arguably far more, to do with the poor leadership of the university at the time. Those stewards did quite a poor job in reinvesting into the program, etc., as I realize you're aware. I mean, Marrone begged and pleaded for an IPF when we were already a day late and a dollar short. The brass at the time basically told him, yeah, some day.

If I recall correctly, it wasn't too long after Marrone left, where SU suddenly had the funds available to build it. Who knows, but again, IMO, perhaps this (along with other infrastructure shortcomings, etc.) played the most significant role(s) in a roster not being positioned for sustained success.

I agree with most of that but not so sure with discipline. Our teams were at the bottom of the Big East his last 2 years in penalty yardage and not much better the other two years.
I attributed much of that to the toughness Marrone instilled.

I recall the game at Rutgers when Hay, an OL, got two unnecessary roughness calls early in the game.

The kid got called but he sent a strong message - the Orange was not going to be pushed around.

And we won the game.

The only reason I'd be somewhat excited to see Marrone come back is I could pull out my "Viva la Revolucion Anaranjada" shirt (that NunesMagician sold back in the day) from the bottom of my shirt stack and wear it again to a game.

I don't think a second go around would go anywhere near as good as some of the wild optimists here think - but that shirt was cool and I'd like to be able to wear it again.

The only reason I'd be somewhat excited to see Marrone come back is I could pull out my "Viva la Revolucion Anaranjada" shirt (that NunesMagician sold back in the day) from the bottom of my shirt stack and wear it again to a game.

I don't think a second go around would go anywhere near as good as some of the wild optimists here think - but that shirt was cool and I'd like to be able to wear it again.

Or "It Starts Now"...again.

Finding their 2012 O changes when 2013 comes around. I don't doubt that the running scheme is very similar. More out of the gun vs under center, but you cannot throw the ball with no QB and no WRs. If you do, say hello to 4-8. There is no way in hell that Marrone allows that. No matter what Hackett might say.

Also look at the 2013 Bills. The 6-10 Bills were 24th in passing attempts and 1st by a good margin (47 more than 2nd) in rushing attempts. They didn't sling it around because they didn't have the personnel to do so. And they didn't run a 2 min O the whole time.
Marrone recruited Hunt.

Marrone put the Jacksonville Jags in the AFC championship game with Blake Bortles as the QB and would have made it to the Superbowl but the NFL wanted Brady and the Patriots for the ratings. It is a money making entertainment enterprise after all.

The thing I thought was pretty great with Doug was the quality staff he had with such a garbage budget to work with. Yeah a one year guy like Spence sucked and Casullo imploded but he had a lot of excellent guys at a low price

Marrone put the Jacksonville Jags in the AFC championship game with Blake Bortles as the QB and would have made it to the Superbowl but the NFL wanted Brady and the Patriots for the ratings. It is a money making entertainment enterprise after all.
I'm all for bashing the NFL but the Super Bowl is the one sporting event that the matchup doesn't matter when it comes to ratings. That game was lost when gutless St. Doug took a knee with a minute left in the 1st half with timeouts. Tried to turtle his way to the Super Bowl in the second half. Philly won that subsequent Super Bowl with balls to the wall offense (with a backup QB). No play was off the table. No fear.

I'm all for bashing the NFL but the Super Bowl is the one sporting event that the matchup doesn't matter when it comes to ratings. That game was lost when gutless St. Doug took a knee with a minute left in the 1st half with timeouts. Tried to turtle his way to the Super Bowl in the second half. Philly won that subsequent Super Bowl with balls to the wall offense (with a backup QB). No play was off the table. No fear.
Whatever happened to Blake Bortles?

Whatever happened to Blake Bortles?
St. Doug's career didn't flourish afterwards either. I give him credit for milking his experience getting Sean Payton's coffee for all it was worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom