If Marrone had stayed | Syracusefan.com

If Marrone had stayed

Crusty

Living Legend
I am convinced he would have won at least one ACC championship by now, would be making $5+ million per year and have gotten all the support he needed right at SU.

Instead, he is a 40-61 lifetime record NFL HC who is stuck as an Oline coach just waiting to be fired when his HC gets canned (which always happens).

He has moved his family 4 times.

He would have probably made the same or more money in the intervening years and be sitting with a 5-year contract with a big buyout.

As Gus Levy famous Goldman Sachs managing partner once said - it's foolish to be short-term greedy you should be long-term greedy

Doug was an opportunist who was short-term greedy. Witness his lousy decision when Buffalo wanted to keep him.

Doug made himself some money but he could be on the top of the world now. Could gave done better.

And for the record, I thought he was an excellent CFB HC and while I wished he hadn't left, I would not want him back.

I am convinced he would have won at least one ACC championship by now, would be making $5+ million per year and have gotten all the support he needed right at SU.

Instead, he is a 40-61 lifetime record NFL HC who is stuck as an Oline coach just waiting to be fired when his HC gets canned (which always happens).

He would have probably made the same or more money in the intervening years and be sitting with a 5-year contract with a big buyout.

As Gus Levy famous Goldman Sachs managing partner once said - it's foolish to be short-term greedy you should be long-term greedy

Doug was an opportunist who was short-term greedy. Witness his lousy decision when Buffalo wanted to keep him.

Doug made himself some money but he could be on the top of the world now. Could gave done better.

And for the record, I thought he was an excellent CFB HC and while I wished he hadn't left, I would not want him back.
He was a guy w ambition.

It’s an impossible scenario because he wanted an nfl hc job.

Ultimately he got what he wanted. The absolute money may be less but the experiences he had coaching two nfl teams is prob increduble

On the one hand look at his recruits at QB and WR. On the other hand he did show the ability to adapt.

I think most seasons he reverts to the 2009-11 type O. That gets us to Bowls but not much more. I like Hunt as a QB but not sure Marrone even plays him given the style. So who the heck is our QB in 2013-14?

It’s not his fault. We promised him a lot of things and for some reason gross didn’t like him and never followed up on his promise. Gross was a dick.

On the one hand look at his recruits at QB and WR. On the other hand he did show the ability to adapt.

I think most seasons he reverts to the 2009-11 type O. That gets us to Bowls but not much more. I like Hunt as a QB but not sure Marrone even plays him given the style. So who the heck is our QB in 2013-14?
He had the kid that decommitted and went to TCU And he had Gus Edwards committed

Most importantly he was a great oline coach.

He had the kid that decommitted and went to TCU And he had Gus Edwards committed

Most importantly he was a great oline coach.

The TCU kid couldn't crack the lineup at Rutgers. He was not a solution, just a body. How does Gus change things? That just tells me more of 2009-11 style of O, not 2012 style. We weren't challenging for an ACC title with no WRs and no QB.

He was a guy w ambition.

It’s an impossible scenario because he wanted an nfl hc job.

Ultimately he got what he wanted. The absolute money may be less but the experiences he had coaching two nfl teams is prob increduble
Losing is never an incredible experience. He always complained about the crap his kids took at school. Don't blame him for that but it comes with Losing.

People tends to forget the criticism he got for missing a bowl because of the injury plagued 5-game season ending losing streak. People called fir his head.

Losing is never an incredible experience. He always complained about the crap his kids took at school. Don't blame him for that but it comes with Losing.

People tends to forget the criticism he got for missing a bowl because of the injury plagued 5-game season ending losing streak. People called fir his head.
I don’t believe him at all because he says things. Always hard losing but what job is such that you leave on top. Even Belichick is under fire right now. It’s part of the million dollar job description.

He got to be a hc of two nfl teams. Thats a country club of finite people who have done that.

This is a man who is professionally craven. He was never staying forever.

Having said that he’s my third choice for the SU job

It’s not his fault. We promised him a lot of things and for some reason gross didn’t like him and never followed up on his promise. Gross was a dick.
Didn't he basically rip the mic from Gross' hand at the presser?

The TCU kid couldn't crack the lineup at Rutgers. He was not a solution, just a body. How does Gus change things? That just tells me more of 2009-11 style of O, not 2012 style. We weren't challenging for an ACC title with no WRs and no QB.
Yeah Zach Allen kinda stunk.

People forget as well that we went JUCO crazy in the month prior to Marrone leaving. So there were some serious recruiting chickens about to come home to roost. There was talent at RB but after the 2012 season losing Sales, Lemon and Nassib really hurt WR and QB.

I don’t recall the timing on Drew Allen but maybe having Marrone and Hackett there to work with him, he turns out better. Same with Brolyd. But we’ll never know.

People forget as well that we went JUCO crazy in the month prior to Marrone leaving. So there were some serious recruiting chickens about to come home to roost. There was talent at RB but after the 2012 season losing Sales, Lemon and Nassib really hurt WR and QB.

I don’t recall the timing on Drew Allen but maybe having Marrone and Hackett there to work with him, he turns out better. Same with Brolyd. But we’ll never know.

Hadn't Broyld already moved under Marrone? I think Allen was a Shafer guy. IMO in 2013 we revert back to 2009-11. Nothing wrong with that. I just think the 2012 O system isn't a reality given what we had coming back.

That's not what Hackett said. He felt they found their 2012 offense by adaptation of their 2-minute drill. That wad the future And I got that from the horse's mouth.

Shafer won with Hunt and so would have Marrone.

...then I think there would have been a dropoff. He was losing too many key principals -- and some really good players -- from that offense, with no real solid replacements on the roster.

I think he capitalized when the iron was hot, and it was a good move.

Not saying that the bottom would have dropped out like it did under Shafer, but the roster wasn't positioned for sustained success.

That's not what Hackett said. He felt they found their 2012 offense by adaptation of their 2-minute drill. That wad the future And I got that from the horse's mouth.

Finding their 2012 O changes when 2013 comes around. I don't doubt that the running scheme is very similar. More out of the gun vs under center, but you cannot throw the ball with no QB and no WRs. If you do, say hello to 4-8. There is no way in hell that Marrone allows that. No matter what Hackett might say.

Also look at the 2013 Bills. The 6-10 Bills were 24th in passing attempts and 1st by a good margin (47 more than 2nd) in rushing attempts. They didn't sling it around because they didn't have the personnel to do so. And they didn't run a 2 min O the whole time.

Hadn't Broyld already moved under Marrone? I think Allen was a Shafer guy. IMO in 2013 we revert back to 2009-11. Nothing wrong with that. I just think the 2012 O system isn't a reality given what we had coming back.
Broyld was sorta a slash kinda thing in 2012 but went full time to WR in 2013. But yeah he was already catching balls in 2012 but I think more out of the backfield if I remember correctly.

Drew Allen came on after Marrone left and was definitely a Shafer/Lester recruit. So he may not have come here at all, but I have to think Marrone and Hackett would have been looking for the same thing.

Broyld was sorta a slash kinda thing in 2012 but went full time to WR in 2013. But yeah he was already catching balls in 2012 but I think more out of the backfield if I remember correctly.

Drew Allen came on after Marrone left and was definitely a Shafer/Lester recruit. So he may not have come here at all, but I have to think Marrone and Hackett would have been looking for the same thing.

I think Marrone starts the season with Loeb and the 2012 O. After going 0-2 instead of changing to Hunt, he changes to the 2009-11 O.

Based off of Lester's comments before Hunt took over, he must not have done well in practice. Hunt was a playmaker, but I am not sure Marrone hands him the keys in 2013.

I hope Marrone is a serious candidate. He’s my number one choice.
The way he turned us around after the worst football in our history. Had some great staff members. One of which is still an NFL OC.

I think Marrone starts the season with Loeb and the 2012 O. After going 0-2 instead of changing to Hunt, he changes to the 2009-11 O.

Based off of Lester's comments before Hunt took over, he must not have done well in practice. Hunt was a playmaker, but I am not sure Marrone hands him the keys in 2013.
Lester is not Hackett who had a hand on recruiting Hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom