If McMurphy says it, I believe it- BE Expansion | Syracusefan.com

If McMurphy says it, I believe it- BE Expansion

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
brett_new_2009_mug_normal.jpg

McMurphyCBS Brett McMurphy

Big East adding Boise, UH, SMU, UCF, SDSU. Look for Navy to join soon also. My story: http://bit.ly/vT6gQ3

Why does the Big East hate C-USA?!

Leave C-USA alone!!!

It's amazing how fast the Big East can move to add members now...

...too little, too late

Every argument against the BCS should begin and end with what's happened to the BE.

SDSU? Boise St?

I get the financials, but this is not what college sports should be about.

This clustermess is together simply for the purposes of a BCS bid. Schools are literally giving up everything they ever stood for to maintain access to the BCS bid (SU included).

This is crazy.

And join date 2013 sounds like one more yr in big east

Would need to be renamed BigUSA. What a mess from a travel perspective. They will get into bed together just in time for the whole BCS to get revamped by eliminating automatic bids. Regional conferences are still the only way to go, imo.

It's amazing how fast the Big East can move to add members now...

...too little, too late

You call this fast? Wasn't it late September when Marinatto said he was going to be "aggressive" with expansion? And Navy without the AFA? I'll believe it when I see it.

Whatever WVU is doing to get out this year, we should be doing and are stupid if we don't.

Whatever WVU is doing to get out this year, we should be doing and are stupid if we don't.

Thought I read this somewhere, but isn't WVU using SU/Pitt leaving as their primary reasoning in their lawsuit?
Maybe we could jedi mind trick it back, and use the fact that WVU is leaving as to why we need to go.

Thought I read this somewhere, but isn't WVU using SU/Pitt leaving as their primary reasoning in their lawsuit?
Maybe we could jedi mind trick it back, and use the fact that WVU is leaving as to why we need to go.

sounds like a plan. i have no idea how they are getting out but they and the b12 are convinced they are. maybe they just don't show up but it is probably due to an increased buyout. we can do the same thing, as can pitt. the money will likely be made up by increased income from the acc.

sounds like a plan. i have no idea how they are getting out but they and the b12 are convinced they are. maybe they just don't show up but it is probably due to an increased buyout. we can do the same thing, as can pitt. the money will likely be made up by increased income from the acc.

Isn't the main difference that the Big 12 is desparate to stay at 10. (Can't believe I'm writing that sentence and it makes sense that 12 = 10.) Meanwhile, the ACC is at 12 and can wait another year. If the financials work great, but otherwise what's the incentive for SU/Pitt to pay more and/or the ACC to contribute?

Unbelievable. Every decision in this world revolves around money.

I am guess that SU/Pitt are going to let WV do the dirty work and spend their money on lawyers/courts to get out. SU/Pitt will wait to see what happens. If WV gets out then SU/Pitt will use that to get out. If WV doesn't get out, then SU/Pitt will wait the required jail sentence...errr...27 months.

The last sentence in the article states:

Syracuse and Pittsburgh have not filed a lawsuit to join the ACC early, but are monitoring the West Virginia situation. If WVU leaves before 2014, Syracuse and Pittsburgh would do the same, sources said.

This implies that we're leaving whenever WVU goes-- Let's hope for a quick resolution to litigation in WVU's favor. I'm glad it's at least somewhat feasible to be an ACC member in 2012.

If you read WVU's complaint, it states that the BE's breach of their fiduciary duty prompted SU and Pitt to leave. Our exit is only tangentially related to the main complaint-- it contributed to WVU's decision to leave, but their #1 reason was breach of duty by the BE.

SU and Pitt needs to call Marinatto after the big add...and tell them lets work on leaving July 2012. Maybe we can commit to some home and homes with Louisville, Cincy, USF, UConn and Rutgirls in the out years in lieu of money

You would think in the wake of the Fine Mess that the Big East wouldn't mind SU leaving early for the ACC. Then they as a conference would not be involved!!

My understanding is that the Big12 had to guarantee 10 for FB in 2012 or the network was going to renegotiate the TV payout down. If they could guarantee 10 the netowrk agreed to leave the money the same, thus the insistence on WVU joining next year. WVU believes that the additional payout from Big12 will offset anything they have to pay the BE to get out early.

If you read WVU's complaint, it states that the BE's breach of their fiduciary duty prompted SU and Pitt to leave. Our exit is only tangentially related to the main complaint-- it contributed to WVU's decision to leave, but their #1 reason was breach of duty by the BE.

and now the focus becomes why did it take you so GD long to add teams Marinonette ? You screwed around until WVU called your bluff then magically were able to accelerate the process. If the lawsuit proceeds the discovery into this issue alone would be fascinating.

All I want for Christmas is to get the hell out of this closterflock by next season if at all possible.

WVU believes that the additional payout from Big12 will offset anything they have to pay the BE to get out early.

Same would likely be true for SU and Pitt.

and now the focus becomes why did it take you so GD long to add teams Marinonette ? You screwed around until WVU called your bluff then magically were able to accelerate the process. If the lawsuit proceeds the discovery into this issue alone would be fascinating.

All I want for Christmas is to get the hell out of this closterflock by next season if at all possible.

Clearly it's because the Big East really didn't want to add these teams. I'm pretty sure that if they had their druthers, and WVU and TCU were still in the fold, they'd have simply replaced SU and Pitt with two schools and called it a day. Probably SMU and UCF.

This has been the BE's M.O. for 20 years... only do something when it is absolutely necessary for survival.

WVU sued the Big East in Morgantown, arguing the conference had violated its "fiduciary responsibility" to members by failing to balance the number of football-playing and non-football schools.

What's interesting is that WVU has also already sent half of the required $5 million exit fee to the Big East, and it contends that by accepting the down payment, the conference agreed to the immediate withdrawal. They are purty cleaver in Morgantown.

Has SU paid any of the exit fee.

Clearly it's because the Big East really didn't want to add these teams. I'm pretty sure that if they had their druthers, and WVU and TCU were still in the fold, they'd have simply replaced SU and Pitt with two schools and called it a day. Probably SMU and UCF.

This has been the BE's M.O. for 20 years... only do something when it is absolutely necessary for survival.

I agree. They also might simply have added one more FB school (say Navy) to stay at 8 if TCU and WVU had both stayed in with an amorphous promise to "investigate more FB members in the future".