If Saban will do it, why wouldn't Babers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Saban will do it, why wouldn't Babers

I said in another post that the spring could go a long way for Devito if Dungey isn’t playing. That said, kids typically don’t lose their jobs because in injuries. Devito will have to win it.

That said, one thing I wonder about, we could have made a bowl and DB still chose to sit Devito and roll the dice with the Officer and Rex. I think the decision had more to do with the supporting cast rather than the QB though. They wouldn’t have helped Devito. This year though it’s all in and the OL should be all growed up.

It's also quite possible that Dino made a cold calculation that Devito, at that point in his development, was not an improvement on the other options he had available. He gets to see him every day, we don't.

Dungey has earned the starting job in my book. When he inevitably gets injured next year, Devito should keep the job if we're on track for a bowl game with him as the starter.

And you have seen so much of DeVito that you are ready to make the switch.
Hey, in NJ high school, he could really sling it, so he is ready to unseat Dungey.

Reactions: CIL
You think they don’t? Babers is going to play the players he thinks gives them the best chance to win each game.
He probably does. My post was just common sense.
I think Dungey starts as the camp starter but if DeVito is clearly better should start.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. Devito didn't burn his RS when Dungey got hurt because Dino didn't feel the team had enough talent to do anything other than make some throw away bowl appearance and it would have been a waste. I know I'm going to get some black lash for that comment but It was a bigger picture move and the right move. RS, get Devito prepped next year, Dungey graduates, and then Devito takes over. By then, Dino will have enough of his guys, improve the talent gap, Devito would be 3rd year in the system and they go after something a little more substantial.

I was not impressed with Tua either.. he made some good plays, got away with many bad reads and plays, he is athletic though. Hurts is what he always was,, a power RB playing QB.

Did he throw anything at all to the right side? Seemed like he had one half of the field in use only. Which should have told that safety all he needed to know...

I haven't seen Devito play .

I watched Bama and Georgia play last night. Dungey would have made either one those two NC AND, most likely played a hole season(maybe 4)behind those lines.
Maybe I heard this wrong, but I believe one of the announcers commented that Georgia did not lose a single starting players to an injury this season. I find that to be incredibly amazing.

Lol what are you mad about? It's not like a shot at Dungey or something. It's a tweet that says "work your butt off and handle yourself with class" OH NO THE HORROR

Agree. Let's also remember that he and Tua are probably close from the E11 camp as well. He's probably tweeting something about hard work, class being shown after the game by Hurts, and something that is about a buddy. Yeah, it's relevant to him, but he's not exactly going all Eli Apple on twitter right now...

Maybe I heard this wrong, but I believe one of the announcers commented that Georgia did not lose a single starting players to an injury this season. I find that to be incredibly amazing.

For the most part true, but starting QB Jacob Eason was lost in game 1. When he became healthy enough to play around game 4 he couldn’t win the job back from Fromm. A couple defenders missed a few games here and there from injury, but nothing season ending. Very lucky season healthwise.

The best QB should play. If TD is better than Dungey as a Senior he 10000% deserves to play.

We can't make that distinction. But if you trust one thing about Babers, it should be his evaluations of QB in this system.

We should have an open competition.
Let the players compete and pick the best man.
Tie goes to upperclassmen.
i've heard Babers say this is the exact process they use...

Dungy is starting next year. Bank it. However, the quarterback of the future will be ready go if he get's hurt again...which he probably will based on the way it's gone for him.

Im sure Dino chose to play the best qb, every game, with what was best for the program going forward in mind. This should be case closed. Either Devito wasnt ready, or Dino felt the redshirt was more important.

It’s easier to do what Saban did when you have the players around the QB, and on defense, that they do.

Good point. But Jalen had those same players.

Good point. But Jalen had those same players.

And he won all of his games, except 2, over his career playing with those players.
You were saying?

I think DB is going to do what he thinks will give this team the best chance to win. I don't think he'll be loyal just for loyalty's sake, and I don't think he'll pull the trigger on TD (or any other qb) just to start a new era.

I'll be interested to see what happens during a game if Dungey is the starter and is struggling like the first half of Miami. Will he be quicker to try TD? That may be telling as to how close the preseason competition was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom