If Saban will do it, why wouldn't Babers | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If Saban will do it, why wouldn't Babers

He is 4-8 due to his injuries. Just like the previous poster says it's the team record, that team includes Dungey. If he has a history of being injured, which may be the primary reason we were 4-8, you can't overlook that. The two are not mutually exclusive. The same is held to all players, however the QB is the key to the engine.
a team should not fold as we have because we lost the quaterback.
that is recruiting and coaching. dino said 2018 will be different
keeping my fingers crossed. we need strength and depth.

It’s easier to do what Saban did when you have the players around the QB, and on defense, that they do.

Very true. Not sure why Saban os receiving the accolades. It was the obvious call that all of America knew was needed given JH's performance. Frankly, the question is why wasnt the luau lefty given a shot earlier? ED is a far superior qb than JH.

Dino wouldn't do it because Dungey is a much better QB than Hurts and I really don't see Dungey being replaced as the starter. I am sure DeVito will get some snaps next year but when healthy I see Dungey as the starter

AMEN. Hurts isnt in the same league as ED. ED is obviously a way better thrower of the ball, can make sound decisions, and might even be as good a runner as JH. JH proponents will argue 25-2 or whatever his record is, but, geeez, given the talent on that offense and the game D, many mediocre qbs have won nattys at Bama.

Did he throw anything at all to the right side? Seemed like he had one half of the field in use only. Which should have told that safety all he needed to know...
Actually, he did. It wouldnt have mattered anyway because the safety was looking at the underneath route to the same side and couldnt make up the ground.

Very true. Not sure why Saban os receiving the accolades. It was the obvious call that all of America knew was needed given JH's performance. Frankly, the question is why wasnt the luau lefty given a shot earlier? ED is a far superior qb than JH.
My understanding of it was because it wasn’t a typical Saban-y decision. Much like his emotion at the end of the game. I’m pretty sure he was possessed.

Of course, I'm talking about pulling a long-time starter for highly touted freshman (in our case redshirt).

While I love Dungey, we need to face some facts:

- He has been injured each of his three seasons with us, all long-term injuries
- He is 4-8 each of his last two seasons
- We have a young offensive group next year, relatively speaking
- Many starting/playing next year will be Babers recruits

I'm convincing myself more and more that Babers is ready to flip the switch and will be looking towards the future this Spring. That future will include Devito as our starter in 2018.

Convincing yourself on the basis of no data?

DeVito could easily end up being a very slow learner and even a huge bust.

Change for the sake of change is almost never a good idea. But fan belief in the back-up QB --- before he plays --- is a staple of college football fandom.

Hurts isnt in the same league as ED. ED is obviously a way better thrower of the ball, can make sound decisions, and might even be as good a runner as JH.

Hurts is a very good decision maker, as well. He threw exactly one interception all year vs. 17 TDs.

Hurts is a very good decision maker, as well. He threw exactly one interception all year vs. 17 TDs.

I get that. He played on a short leash. Not sure he had many ad lib, audible autonomy. He really isnt that good. He should stay in the program possibly as a rb.

Dino wouldn't do it because Dungey is a much better QB than Hurts and I really don't see Dungey being replaced as the starter. I am sure DeVito will get some snaps next year but when healthy I see Dungey as the starter

AGAIN, so bizarre, the recruiting game is nuts. Was JH tagged with a 4 or 5 star after saban came sniffing? I doubt he ever showed what the Luau Lefty showed in college to earn a 5 star.

Seems like we are going to have much better insight on this topic after the spring game. Looking forward to that.

Of course, I'm talking about pulling a long-time starter for highly touted freshman (in our case redshirt).

While I love Dungey, we need to face some facts:

- He has been injured each of his three seasons with us, all long-term injuries
- He is 4-8 each of his last two seasons
- We have a young offensive group next year, relatively speaking
- Many starting/playing next year will be Babers recruits

I'm convincing myself more and more that Babers is ready to flip the switch and will be looking towards the future this Spring. That future will include Devito as our starter in 2018.

Two true freshmen QBs battling it out in the 2nd half of the national championship game. Will we ever see such a thing again? It's crazy.

And now I see Eason for Georgia is transferring? Will Jalen Hurts transfer? Or switch to RB?

Wonder if this has any impact on, say, Clemson. Top recruits are unafraid of competition. But Clemson now has Bryant with at least one more year of eligibility. Then 3 highly ranked guys from 3 classes in a row. The last 2 were the top QB in the country. Only so many footballs to go around at that position. It seems hard to believe they can keep them all happy when you watched what happened Monday night.

AMEN. Hurts isnt in the same league as ED. ED is obviously a way better thrower of the ball, can make sound decisions, and might even be as good a runner as JH. JH proponents will argue 25-2 or whatever his record is, but, geeez, given the talent on that offense and the game D, many mediocre qbs have won nattys at Bama.

Hurts is just more durable! :)

What else can anyone really say about Saban, love him or hate him, he's probably the best college football coach ever.

What else can anyone really say about Saban, love him or hate him, he's probably the best college football coach ever.
He may be, hard to compare him to coaches from different eras ( like Era , Bear, Knute ect..) and yes, I think he is a jerk. Have a ex Crimson Tide Def Lineman on staff at BHS he will concur.

Is this thread serious? Dungey is the best quarterback we have by a long shot and I’ll say it again the best football player we have on this team. Are you kidding me?

Two true freshmen QBs battling it out in the 2nd half of the national championship game. Will we ever see such a thing again? It's crazy.

And now I see Eason for Georgia is transferring? Will Jalen Hurts transfer? Or switch to RB?

Wonder if this has any impact on, say, Clemson. Top recruits are unafraid of competition. But Clemson now has Bryant with at least one more year of eligibility. Then 3 highly ranked guys from 3 classes in a row. The last 2 were the top QB in the country. Only so many footballs to go around at that position. It seems hard to believe they can keep them all happy when you watched what happened Monday night.
I wonder if they'll wait for the competition to see who replaces Bryant with the losers looking to transfer.

Why are people convinced that Devito is somehow better than Dungey? Maybe he is, but nobody here has watched him play at the college level. The Syracuse coaching staff has, and will, and now that the redshirt issue is a moot point moving forward, why are so many convinced that:

1- Dino will start Dungey even if Devito outplays him in practice
2- Devito outperforms Dungey in practice.

Where are people getting this from? Dino is on record stating that it's an open competition next year, and the best player will start, wheter it's Devito, Dungey, Cullpepper, or Chance.

I love Dungey, but C'mon man...much better? He was the SEC offensive Player of the Year last year, and had he thrown the ball as much this year, probably would have won it again. He had 17 td's to 1 pick this year. He completed 60% of his passes this year for 2146 yards on just 155 attempts, averaging 9.5 yards per completion. Dungey completed a lower percentage, threw less td's, and 9x's as many picks on only 75 more attempts. 9 x's the interceptions playing in only 9 games.

Total QBR for 2018: Hurts 82.1 (7th)
Dungey: 69.7 (36th)

Raw QBR for 2018: Hurts 71.8 (26th)
Dungey 59.2 (63rd)

Total Quarterback Rating - College Football - ESPN

Last edited:
J.Hurt was the SEC Offensive Player of the Year as a true freshman. Let that sink in.
He's a heck of a quarterback, not some flawed talent like you're reading here.

because Dungey is a much better QB than Hurts

Why is Dungey a "much better" QB than Hurts? I mean I know he's our guy and he's tough and gritty and we love him, but I just don't see it based on on-the-field productivity. Hurts has had a fantastic career minus one bad half against Georgia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom