If Smith is so good | Syracusefan.com

If Smith is so good

1) how come he could not even slow Gillon down, and
2) how come not one announcer mentioned Smith's total inability to cover Gillon?

I was thinking the same thing. The kid is a heck of an offensive player, don't get my wrong. His passing was fantastic. But somebody was supposed to be guarding Gillon.

I mean let's call a spade a spade...he had to play up on john cuz the kid was so hot and when someone does that on him, he's going blow by anyone..he's fast as hell

Smith is clearly very good offensively. It has been pointed out how they were playing on D. He made some great passes but he probably got 5-7 assists that a blind man could've acheived since our interior D was so bad. There were NC St bigs wide open all game long under the basket. Unreal.

2 things -

Gillon started to heat up once DSJ went under ball screens. Whether that was on Gotfried or DSJ, I'm not sure.

Gillon has elite quickness and very good handle, and that can be hard to anyone to contain.

I don't think Gillon going off was an indictment on DSJ.

In Gottfried's defense Gillon was our worst shooter percentage wise in ACC play entering this game.

Agreed, but he has a reputation for being a streaky shooter. Why let him keep getting open looks by continuing to let your players go under screens? Why keep switching so that he had easy-to-exploit mismatches?

Agreed, but he has a reputation for being a streaky shooter. Why let him keep getting open looks by continuing to let your players go under screens? Why keep switching so that he had easy-to-exploit mismatches?

They did adjust late and Smith stole the ball. It was probably too late. Gillon then took it to the hoop and got to the line. I think Gillon/White/Lydon are the three best shooters we have ever put on the court at the same time.

That is about NC State's defensive philosophy, not Smith individually. They choose to go under or to switch almost every screen all game.

Yep. And when they decided to hedge, Smith got a steal and a breakaway.

Well, isn't that the same question? And I think we could find a place for Smith on our team.
No, it is not the same question.
Yes, we could use Smith,
but does he play D? Would he hurt our D? NIT State is terrible on D.
All that switching is a meal ticket for Gillon, but I'm not sure that it would have been any different if they did not switch. Give him a pick and the bad guys will eat dust.

Those first half screens were beautiful. Smith would back off knowing he could close out on Gillon's jumper. Until Lydon or Robey would step in front of him and Gillon had a clear shot and drained 'em.

I still remember all the posts about James Harden. Smith is a stud. Gottfried is a terrible coach otherwise #11 wouldn't have had the ball at the end. When the Pearl played here did anyone else have the ball in their hands.

if NCt state hadnt had like 5 balls bounce off things the 2nd half leading to scores we never get down so big either.. the one pass to noone bounced off 2 su guys and led to a 3.

They did adjust late and Smith stole the ball. It was probably too late. Gillon then took it to the hoop and got to the line. I think Gillon/White/Lydon are the three best shooters we have ever put on the court at the same time.

They adjusted for the one possession, but not the rest of the game.

I agree with your last statement, though. Coaches should take that into consideration all the more when deciding how to play Gillon. Make him drive off ball screens and finish at the rim. Don't help off shooters to let him off the scoring hook, and don't switch to allow him to exploit mismatches.

Please understand that I'm thrilled the last two head coaches we have played opted to let him do what he does well rather than what he doesn't.

They adjusted for the one possession, but not the rest of the game.

I agree with your last statement, though. Coaches should take that into consideration all the more when deciding how to play Gillon. Make him drive off ball screens and finish at the rim. Don't help off shooters to let him off the scoring hook, and don't switch to allow him to exploit mismatches.

Please understand that I'm thrilled the last two head coaches we have played opted to let him do what he does well rather than what he doesn't.
Lets give some credit to JB. He knows that Gillon cannot finish at the hoop if there is more than one big defender underneath. Gillon has been red hot and Lord knows, we needed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom