If Smith is so good | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Smith is so good

Lets give some credit to JB. He knows that Gillon cannot finish at the hoop if there is more than one big defender underneath. Gillon has been red hot and Lord knows, we needed it.

I don't think Coach B has anything to do with it. Our offense hasn't changed the last two games. The defenses we have played changed, though.

I say this as someone that regularly says that Boeheim is an underrated strategist and in-game adjuster. In other words, I'm not bashing Coach Boeheim here. I'm stating he didn't change anything that has made Gillon magically look like an all-world player.

I totally agree with your last point, though. :)

I see a subtle but important change; Gillon is more careful to not start a drive until he has a pick to rub off of. He is more patient. Maybe it is coaching or maybe he is just getting more comfortable?

Very happy he's had 2 of them in a row. Our 5th year seniors have really come on and excelled the past few games.

As good as Gillon has been the last two, and he should be commended for his efforts, White has been solid almost all year. He executes fundamentals so well, enabling him to be such an effective college scorer. I enjoy watching him play quite a bit.

I see a subtle but important change; Gillon is more careful to not start a drive until he has a pick to rub off of. He is more patient. Maybe it is coaching or maybe he is just getting more comfortable?

Could be a bit of both. Learning is a process. However, the poor defensive strategies by the last two teams contribute to this, too.

Smith was just not terribly aggressive IMHO. He disappeared on defense and played little role in breaking the press. On offense he was impressive.

He's a young guy, I hope he gets drafted because with a couple more years of experience he will be a terror on the court. With the right leadership skills someone like that could bend the game to his will.

He had a freaking triple double. Come on, he's an excellent player and a top 5 pick
I agree. The kid can ball and wasn't forcing shots against the zone. Definitely a top 10 pick and played a great all around game.

Smith was just not terribly aggressive IMHO. He disappeared on defense and played little role in breaking the press. On offense he was impressive.

He's a young guy, I hope he gets drafted because with a couple more years of experience he will be a terror on the court. With the right leadership skills someone like that could bend the game to his will.
Uh yeah I don't think you have to worry whether or not DSJ will get drafted...

He had a freaking triple double. Come on, he's an excellent player and a top 5 pick

He is THE ONLY PLAYER IN ACC HISTORY TO GET 2 TRIPLE-DOUBLES IN CONFERENCE PLAY IN ONE SEASON.

Think about that.
Jordan, Chris Paul, Grant Hill, Kenny Anderson, Kenny Smith, etc - so many great ACC players, yet none of them ever accomplished this.
That's insane.

But, he's not a very good player. :rolleyes::crazy::noidea:

Last edited:
I will forever be grateful for what John Gillon did last night. His place in Cuse bball history is set. We're a legit top 10 team, probably top 5, if Smith is our pg. Very impressed.

if NCt state hadnt had like 5 balls bounce off things the 2nd half leading to scores we never get down so big either.. the one pass to noone bounced off 2 su guys and led to a 3.

Are you talking about the balls bouncing off AWIII's body parts and Robey's hands? I'm glad the game turned out the way it did (obviously) because it felt like we couldn't corral a loose ball to save our lives for most of the game last night.

Smith is really good, but defense is optional at Nit st.
That's OK, defense is optional in the NBA too! He'll be just fine. Kid is a stud on the offensive end!

And Battle isn't a terrible 4th to add to that group.

Imagine it Tyus hadn't gone cold the past 5 games? He's only 3-20 from 3, while the other 3 are a combined 46-91 in the past 5! 46-91 from 3. WOW.

Have you guys been watching Smith all season? Think it's pretty unfair to judge his defensive efforts on last night's game. The kid is a stud and about as unselfish (save that 3 he chucked up from 35 ft out) as I've seen in a long time. It was great seeing him live last night.

And the only reason #11 got so much PT last night was due to Henderson fouling out. Smith looked super gassed towards the end of the game.

Smith disappears on defense because he is more interested in dropping back to pick up a rebound and run. Sometimes he would turn around and head for the lane as soon as Gillon went into his shooting motion rather than close out. He's a very talented player who will have to learn how to play defense in the NBA because its not happening at NcSt.

1) how come he could not even slow Gillon down, and
2) how come not one announcer mentioned Smith's total inability to cover Gillon?
Because these announcers proclaimed him as the next great NBA pointguard...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom