If the Cavs pull this off... | Syracusefan.com

If the Cavs pull this off...

Eric15

Living Legend
Where would you put Lebron on the list of all-time greatest players? I would have him third behind MJ and Kareem.

1. MJ
2. Kareem
3. Lebron
4. Magic
5. Russell

Where would you put Lebron on the list of all-time greatest players? I would have him third behind MJ and Kareem.

1. MJ
2. Kareem
3. Lebron
4. Magic
5. Russell

My top five would be:

1. MJ
2. Russell (I know it's a different era, but he is the defensive GOAT and he has the titles to back it up)
3. KAJ
4. Magic
5. LeBron

That is where I would put him if he won this series. I would expect him to possibly jump Magic. I have a hard time seeing him jump MJ/Russell/KAJ.

It's so hard to compare players especially across different eras. All of these guys are historic players.

But because you did make the thread, I still have lebron just outside the top 5. But...he's still playing.

Duncan is in there for me. Along with Bird.

1. Jordan
2. Magic
3. Kareem
4. Bird
5. Duncan
6. Russell
7. Lebron

No Kobe on anyone's list?
He has to be in the top 10 somewhere.

He's definitely Top 10, but in the second five. Probably like 8th or 9th.

I already think he's the best player I've ever seen; what you are talking about is something a little different - skill weighted by championships. at that point, it all depends on how you weigh championships in your personal formula.

I already think he's the best player I've ever seen; what you are talking about is something a little different - skill weighted by championships. at that point, it all depends on how you weigh championships in your personal formula.

Correct. Which is why the question is hard to answer.

Ability alone, he's likely 1.

This is just off the top of my head... but for me it's roughly 1/3rd statistical accomplishments, 1/3rd personal honors (e.g. MVP, all-star games, all-NBA) and 1/3rd playoff success.

two behind Mj, I don't think a Player has had less to work with than Lebron has right now

take Jordan out of the conversation for a moment . . . who is the greatest player of the post-Jordan era? I think you can make a solid case for 4 candidates

• Shaq
  • Duncan
  • Kobe
  • Lebron
Duncan is the steadiest & most long lasting, followed by Kobe. Duncan has been overall the best defensive player of the 21st century, Kobe the best scorer.

I've already stated that Lebron is the best all around player I have ever seen, despite the fact that he trails the others in championships won. That leaves Shaq, who is an interesting case. When he was at his peak, he was the most dominant player in the league by a considerable margin. But,though his career was reasonably long, his peak was much shorter than the others.

take Jordan out of the conversation for a moment . . . who is the greatest player of the post-Jordan era? I think you can make a solid case for 4 candidates

• Shaq
  • Duncan
  • Kobe
  • Lebron
Duncan is the steadiest & most long lasting, followed by Kobe. Duncan has been overall the best defensive player of the 21st century, Kobe the best scorer.

I've already stated that Lebron is the best all around player I have ever seen, despite the fact that he trails the others in championships won. That leaves Shaq, who is an interesting case. When he was at his peak, he was the most dominant player in the league by a considerable margin. But,though his career was reasonably long, his peak was much shorter than the others.

If Shaq ever kept himself in good shape he might of won ten titles. Lebron doesn't even dominate defenses like Shaq did, and I agree Lebrons the best player i've ever seen.

The way I see it there are two reasonable ways to determine the best player ever.

1) Who was the best player ever against the competition he had to face? In that case Wilt is #1 and there really isn't a close second. I'd probably put Oscar Robertson second, and LeBron third.

2) If you had a time machine and put all the best basketball players together in their prime who would be the best? In this case LeBron is the best ever and there really is no close second. I'd probably put Durant second.

• Shaq
  • Duncan
  • Kobe
  • Lebron

My order of the four above, as it stands right now, if time were paused:

Duncan
LeBron
Kobe
Shaq

Based on what I think LeBron will do before he hangs it up:

LeBron
Duncan
Kobe
Shaq

Overall top 5:
MJ
Russell
KAJ
LeBron
Magic (I think you can make an argument for Duncan or Bird here and a few others)

Can you explain your reasoning for Kobe over Shaq?

If Lebron brings this title home for Cleveland, this will be a legendary type accomplishment, right up there with Jordan retiring and coming back after two years to lead a new stable of role players to THREE more titles.

It's hard to say where Lebron would be on the list of greats, but exorcising the long standing demons of Cleveland sports would be a miraculous feat. He will never pay for a meal in that town again. EVER!

If Golden State only had a center who can score...

Can you explain your reasoning for Kobe over Shaq?

Because Shaq was nothing but a physical specimen who never really improved his game. Remember, Shaq didn't win a title without a Wade or a Kobe. Kobe was the closest thing to Jordan since Jordan. And he worked his ass off everyday at his craft. Shaq was eatin, rappin and makin bad movies. I love Shaq, but Kobe is the better player and has the bigger legacy. I still remember Shaq's constant snubs of USA Basketball too. That never sat right with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom