If this is our team next year... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If this is our team next year...

Oh my gosh I would love Hughes to stay but does everybody really think that he is really going to stay his senior year? We shall see but from past experiences I don’t know

If he does stay you are definitely right we will be a very good balanced offensive defensive team and I have been very patiently waiting for that to come back! I am super excited about 2022 with the potentialOf that class. That’s like Duke and Kentucky status and just imagine what Boeheim could do with talent like that

Oh my gosh I would love Hughes to stay but does everybody really think that he is really going to stay his senior year? We shall see but from past experiences I don’t know

I think a lot will depend on his performance down the stretch. He started the year on pace for an absolutely monster season, and a month ago I would have said he was for sure going to make the jump. But he hasn’t exactly been lighting it up lately and now he’s injured. If the injury lingers, that tips the scales in favor of him staying another year, imo.

Also, since the team is very likely going to the NIT this year, his chances of turning heads on a national stage are limited. He won’t get the NCAAT bump that Malachi Richardson experienced.

Of course, a lot depends on his mindset. Because of his transfer year, he’s ‘old’. He probably has his degree wrapped up or almost wrapped up right now, so that won’t be a motivator to stay. It’s also unlikely he’ll go undrafted. Nothing is ever guaranteed but he’s a pretty locked-in 2nd round pick. If he’s okay with that and ready to start his pro career, then he gone.

He will absolutely test the market and get evaluated by NBA scouts at the end of the season. If his workouts go even decently well, he could easily be gone. 6’6” guys who can shoot like he can, with the athleticism he has, usually get a chance.

Hughes needs to move on for his benefit. His numbers aren't going to jump any higher than this year.

Next year's team will heavily factor on the Growth of Joe and Quincy, how good Kadary is and then more importantly, can we return to Center being a position of strength again. Bourama will still be BMK 2.0. If Jesse bulks up and Ajak keeps doing so and gets caught up defensively we will be a much interior team defensively.

I know we talk about adding pieces but I think Braswells health will be part of that too. I could see us go with Marek and Quincy starting along with Joe and Buddy. Kadary and Goodine battle for the guard minutes. If Woody is a surprise ( his Sr year has been impressive vs what we saw last year) then maybe he gets some run vs Buddy moving up to F.

A solid rotation should be 3 headed center ( 2 will play), Q , MD, BB, JG3 , KR , BG. Wildcards are WN, RB and then not sure what comes next for JC and HW.

That is a fairly full inn even if JC and or HW go elsewhere.

If RB and or MD are a risk to not be around then it's a must have to get a guy like Tape and/or Towns.

I think a lot will depend on his performance down the stretch. He started the year on pace for an absolutely monster season, and a month ago I would have said he was for sure going to make the jump. But he hasn’t exactly been lighting it up lately and now he’s injured. If the injury lingers, that tips the scales in favor of him staying another year, imo.

Also, since the team is very likely going to the NIT this year, his chances of turning heads on a national stage are limited. He won’t get the NCAAT bump that Malachi Richardson experienced.

Of course, a lot depends on his mindset. Because of his transfer year, he’s ‘old’. He probably has his degree wrapped up or almost wrapped up right now, so that won’t be a motivator to stay. It’s also unlikely he’ll go undrafted. Nothing is ever guaranteed but he’s a pretty locked-in 2nd round pick. If he’s okay with that and ready to start his pro career, then he gone.

He will absolutely test the market and get evaluated by NBA scouts at the end of the season. If his workouts go even decently well, he could easily be gone. 6’6” guys who can shoot like he can, with the athleticism he has, usually get a chance.
Yeah those are all very good points and I very well hope he stays because I wouldn’t want to go out like this where the team is going this year but next year we could have so many weapons

Hughes to me is a surefire NBA guy, in some capacity. High volume 3pt shooter who can put in on the floor enough to get it done. I suspect he will perform well at the combine, as well. I think sneaking in to the end of the 1st round this year is very possible.

Ah, yes. Remember the same aspirations when Battle stayed for another year...

Yeah Frank Howard missing the beginning of the season and never being right all year had no effect when we were losing to Old Dominion, UConn, Oregon and Buffalo...

Out of curiosity, what is Hughes major at SU? I know it sounds crazy but isn't it possible a student athlete could actually want a free masters degree before leaving? This extra year would just about do that. Yes, I understand if the NBA or just playing hoop for money is his dream and he could earn a nice living doing so but that degree would help him in a lot of ways after his playing days are done.
That said, after getting hurt he may not want to even take a chance but still, he has some opportunities that most people never get a chance to have.

We got a glimpse with life without Hughes Tuesday. It looked like the team ran out of gas, but should have improved depth with Carey, JBA, and Kadary coming in (doubt woody plays). Throw in potential grad transfer and assume Goodine and Edwards can play more and folks improve. I don’t think it’s a bad team and one that has some experience playing together. I’m wondering how good Kadary will be and if he fills the three. I would love Hughes back and agree we are back to a ranked team all year.

This was a good foundational class that has a lot of good players that will continue to get better. Q is already looking like a future star as an undersized 4 that just gets after it (seems like the player Pitt always has who beats us up). Imagine if that three starts to do down. Excited to see how the others continue to improve but all look like good rotation players at minimum.

This is a lousy website overall, but this is the highest I've seen Hughes projected:

If remotely accurate / in the ballpark, then he's got to make the jump.

This is a lousy website overall, but this is the highest I've seen Hughes projected:

If remotely accurate / in the ballpark, then he's got to make the jump.

It's not remotely accurate. Literally some random dude in his Mom's basement.
Pretty much utter crap.

It doesn't mean he's wrong, necessarily - just zero actual inside info or connections to base his opinions on.

It's not remotely accurate. Literally some random dude in his Mom's basement.
Pretty much utter crap.

It doesn't mean he's wrong, necessarily - just zero actual inside info or connections to base his opinions on.

completely agree -- nbadraft.net sucks, but it was surprising to see Hughes rated that highly. Just allowing for the possibility that it might accidentally be right.

completely agree -- nbadraft.net sucks, but it was surprising to see Hughes rated that highly. Just allowing for the possibility that it might accidentally be right.

Well, as my uncle is fond of saying, "even a blind pig find an acorn, once in a while."

We are going to have a glut in the back court and again be too thin up front. With JB's aversion to playing and developing a bench there are going to be a lot of guys getting no run. Buddy and Marek are going to play 38-40 minutes if they aren't in foul trouble. Quincy and Joe are going to be at least 30. The 5 spot will be a three headed monster manned by whoever is available.

I will believe it when I see it when Goodine, Braswell, Richmond or whoever are getting consistent minutes at the expense of the core 4.

If Hughes stays were top 15 all year.
I would like to believe that but it is difficult. Unlikely that the defense will improve dramatically. The center position might improve marginally next year but I don't see Sidibe or Dolezaj or Edwards or whoever else being a force in the middle. Where us that grad transfer? So far this year the team has performed better than most expected in the ACC. Unless one or two of the lesser playing players makes a huge jump next year, I don't see much room for improvement.

Dude is like 27 now. He's been in college longer than Daniel D-Day Simpson. ;)

His game is about as NBA ready as it's going to get.
And he's not getting any younger.

Awful take another year improving the areas where he’s clearly improved from last year to this but is still lacking would be huge for his pro prospects.

Whomever takes his minutes on the roster will not be as good of a three point shooter. If he leaves next years team is likely this years team but with worse three point shooting.

We need him back.

Awful take another year improving the areas where he’s clearly improved from last year to this but is still lacking would be huge for his pro prospects.

Whomever takes his minutes on the roster will not be as good of a three point shooter. If he leaves next years team is likely this years team but with worse three point shooting.

We need him back.
He needs to go make some money and he will

We need him back.

It is 144% IRRELEVANT what “we need”.
It’s all about what’s best for Eli.

Eli needs to go Pro.
And he will.

He can work on his game full time, and not have to worry about playing student.

WHEN YOU WALK THROUGH THE STORM
HOLD YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
AND DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

SU fans to players who leave early:

If I loved you,
Time and again I would try to say
All I'd want you to know.
If I loved you,
Words wouldn't come in an easy way
Round in circles I'd go!
Longin' to tell you,
But afraid and shy,
I'd let my golden chances pass me by!
Soon you'd leave me,
Off you would go in the mist of day,
Never, never to know how I loved you
If I loved you.

Your point? :rolleyes:

How much better is Hughes going to get with another year? In what areas would he improve that would get him a better draft pick and a better deals form the NBA? It was the same with Battle last year. Would he have been a different player if he had come back for this year? You could see McCullough, Richardson, Lydon, etc. getting better if they had stayed but not Battle or Hughes.

I think if everything goes as planned, we see some major improvements, we may hit 2016-2017 level. If college basketball is really, really down again, we could fare well. We need to figure out a way to play basketball without relying on a lot of dribbling - but that's doable.

Gillon/Girard
Battle/Boeheim
Andrew White/Guerrier
Lydon/Marek

Bench:
Roberson/Howard/Thompson/Coleman... vs. Edwards/Ajak/Sidibe/Goodine/Frosh...

We likely aren't nearly as good defensively, but otherwise, we're kinda rounding into form. It's going to be really interesting on the grad transfer front, and how the Center position shakes out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom