If this is our team next year... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If this is our team next year...

I think if everything goes as planned, we see some major improvements, we may hit 2016-2017 level. If college basketball is really, really down again, we could fare well. We need to figure out a way to play basketball without relying on a lot of dribbling - but that's doable.

Gillon/Girard
Battle/Boeheim
Andrew White/Guerrier
Lydon/Marek

Bench:
Roberson/Howard/Thompson/Coleman... vs. Edwards/Ajak/Sidibe/Goodine/Frosh...

We likely aren't nearly as good defensively, but otherwise, we're kinda rounding into form. It's going to be really interesting on the grad transfer front, and how the Center position shakes out.

We may get a couple of other players you didn’t list.

We may get a couple of other players you didn’t list.

Other than grad transfers and Frosh? What sort of players would these be?
Jalen Carey? Howard Washington?

Post players.

This is intriguing. Not a grad transfer, not a Frosh, not on the roster now...a transfer that doesn't have to sit or JUCO! I don't think I've written the word JUCO in at least a decade!

Ah, yes. Remember the same aspirations when Battle stayed for another year...

Definition of insanity.

I'd rather try this route.

This is intriguing. Not a grad transfer, not a Frosh, not on the roster now...a transfer that doesn't have to sit or JUCO! I don't think I've written the word JUCO in at least a decade!

Does San Jacinto have any High School McDonalds AA’s averaging 30 ppg?

Awful take another year improving the areas where he’s clearly improved from last year to this but is still lacking would be huge for his pro prospects.

Whomever takes his minutes on the roster will not be as good of a three point shooter. If he leaves next years team is likely this years team but with worse three point shooting.

We need him back.
I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. Everyone should go when they can especially if you have a degree. You can improve outside the hallowed halls of good old State U or SU. It's not about what we need but what is best for the player. I think history shows the longer you stay the more you get exposed.

Call me crazy but I love it. Yes, I wish we were better defensively but you add all these guys another year experience and I think this could be a sneaky good team

and we arent done yet adding players to this team next year...

This team without Hughes will be an unmitigated disaster defensively, and would have zero creators offensively.

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. Everyone should go when they can especially if you have a degree. You can improve outside the hallowed halls of good old State U or SU. It's not about what we need but what is best for the player. I think history shows the longer you stay the more you get exposed.

OK that is fine but I think Eli is clearly a guy who is not at his best and needs to continue to make the same improvements he made last year to this.

Next year he might be good enough to go off against Duke. He wasn't this year. He is not on any draft boards and would only be passing up the chance to fight for minutes in the G league. If that he should get a summer league invite and G league roster spot but I am not certain its a lock.

I wonder if he will be one of the players JB tells to go to maximize his chances(like Brissett, etc)? His aging an extra year after the transfer doesn't exactly help him.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an Uncle Dennis in Hughes' life that's advising to shut it down the rest of the year.

This team without Hughes will be an unmitigated disaster defensively, and would have zero creators offensively.
That what happens when loose recruiting battles that you should win

SU doesn’t have enough scholarships for the commitments for next year that they already have. Adding a grad transfer becomes even harder if you can’t commit a scholarship directly to it. They need their own transfers to happen before they can add anyone else.

uhhh Girard?

If we're relying on Girard to break people down off the dribble and create, with more defensive attention next year without Elijah, we will miss the tournament again. Ideally Girard would play off the ball with an athletic PG that can get into the lane and make things happen. But that's not our roster.

If we're relying on Girard to break people down off the dribble and create, with more defensive attention next year without Elijah, we will miss the tournament again. Ideally Girard would play off the ball with an athletic PG that can get into the lane and make things happen. But that's not our roster.
Kadary Richmond...

We just saw him do it. I think his ability to create a shot off the dribble is already better than GMAC's. I always thought GMAC would have been better as a 2 guard with Edelin handling the point but we know what happened there.

We just saw him do it. I think his ability to create a shot off the dribble is already better than GMAC's. I always thought GMAC would have been better as a 2 guard with Edelin handling the point but we know what happened there.

I like Girard, and agree with you on GMAC, but a lineup of Girard/Buddy/Marek/Guerrier/Sidibe is not scaring anyone in the ACC on either end of the floor. That's an easy crew for an athletic team to defend. We are 14-10 and Elijah has played out of his mind.

I know I’ll get the old Cuseguy is being negative again reply, but a few things to expect:

Hughes is likely to leave

At least one PG will transfer

Braswell will remain a lingering question mark for next year.

The team is likely headed for a record similar to this year next year, 17-18 wins, unless:

We land a SF transfer who can score from the perimeter (we’re underestimating Hughes’ absence).

Now, I fully realize many on the current roster should see an uptick in their game and we may get a transfer or two who could help, but we need to hold back a little on any big steps we may be expecting next year.

Dude is like 27 now. He's been in college longer than Daniel D-Day Simpson. ;)

His game is about as NBA ready as it's going to get.
And he's not getting any younger.

Same age as Marek. So? How about letting him decide, only his opinion counts just like it did with Donte, McCollough,Lydon, Ennis, Grant, Battle on and on... If you do find anyone who is getting younger - tell us:)

I know I’ll get the old Cuseguy is being negative again reply, but a few things to expect:

Hughes is likely to leave

At least one PG will transfer

Braswell will remain a lingering question mark for next year.

The team is likely headed for a record similar to this year next year, 17-18 wins, unless:

We land a SF transfer who can score from the perimeter (we’re underestimating Hughes’ absence).

Now, I fully realize many on the current roster should see an uptick in their game and we may get a transfer or two who could help, but we need to hold back a little on any big steps we may be expecting next year.

Think it largely depends on how big of jumps Guerrier and Marek make. Starting backcourt will be good offensively, shaky defensively. Starting forward combo could be very good? Guerrier could make a Damone Brown, Dave Johnson, Hakim Warrick jump from a role player (or in Brown’s case a benchwarmer) to a big time college player. He’s got the athleticism and has shown some big time flashes late in the year much like Warrick did as a freshman.

Marek could be an All ACC level guy as a senior.

Center spot should at a minimum be marginally better.

Guard depth should be better as Goodine should be much further along and also has the athleticism to make a big jump.

Obviously Hughes is very good and would be a big loss, but every college loses good players every year. Only losing 1...we should be able to be better, as long as guys develop like we hope.

I’ll wager anyone who doesn’t expect to make the tourney next year. PM’s are open.

Some people assume that everyone will get better and that newcomers will look as good as they do in the highlight films.

Others assume that nobody will ever be any better than they are now, the newcomers won't be any good and that we'll never replace the lost guys even though we've been doing that for half a century.

Others wait to see what actually happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom