If we accept that Swider is gone, what's the lineup? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If we accept that Swider is gone, what's the lineup?

Starting lineup next season will be

JG3
Jackson Boeheim
Benny
Jim Boeheim Jr.
Jesse

Sy, one of the frosh forwards, and a center, hopefully Frankie, are your bench.

But practices are a lot better because we can run 5 v 5 with legit scholly guys.

LGO

JG3
Jackson Boeheim
Benny
Jim Boeheim Jr.
Jesse

But practices are a lot better because we can run 5 v 5 with legit scholly guys.

LGO
Switch Sy in for Joe and im good

Too
4C88A2C2-9055-4D1D-97CE-633863AA7E12.jpeg

Every team in the country wants guys like that.

Somehow we found Elijah Hughes, Uncle Drew, Griffin and some other guys who would be more than adequate. Geno Thorpe didn't work out, but there are lots of guys like that who would still view Syracuse as a bigger stage than the one they've got right now.

JG3
Jackson Boeheim
Benny
Jim Boeheim Jr.
Jesse

LGO
Is this a joke?

I agree with many on the board that we definitely need to hit the portal. A guard and a forward would be preferable. There should be some players out there, once everything settles down, who could be a nice fit for this team. Ironically, it also should be an easier recruiting sell than what we can offer HS kids. If you look at our track record, transfers have had seen a lot of success and, most importantly, minutes, under JB. In just the last 7 yrs, Swider, Jimmy, Hughes, Andrew white, gillon, Gbinije played heavy minutes, were key players on their respective teams, enjoyed their experiences, and had some professional success. You can go even further back with the wes Johnson's, cipolla (juco), ellis, etc. which just further illustrates a long history and pattern of transfers walking in and playing, a lot.

Most successful transfers in the past like Wes, Elijah, Gbineje had one year of learning before they saw court time. Now we are looking for someone to make an immediate impact. The zone is difficult to assimilate into. That's why the White & Gillon team can't defend. This year's team can't defend no matter what they play.

That team might have the same record in the ACC next year that Georgetown had in the NBE this year.

We an offer starters minutes to transfers we could get a couple decent players it wouldn't surprise me.

Benny has a long way to go to being OK let alone good enough to start for Syracuse. I don't mind giving him a chance but hes going to have competition. I think Symir will as well. I'm not really sure how good Girard is as well everyone assuming he'll be a great starting 2G might be being overly optimistic he'll be drawing bigger defenders and teams will key on him. I know that its crazy to think JB would do something other than play him 40 mins per game but I think someone could chip into his playing time.

JBA and Cole leave how many transfers can we get? 4?
You’re honestly saying you think the current returning roster less Cole would go 0-20 in the ACC? Obviously they need to get players to be top half but saying they’d go 0-20 is just dumb

You’re honestly saying you think the current returning roster less Cole would go 0-20 in the ACC? Obviously they need to get players to be top half but saying they’d go 0-20 is just dumb

patrick-ewing-georgetown.gif

That leaves us with this rotation as of right now.

PG: Symir / Copeland / Joe G.
SG: Joe G. / Justin Taylor
SF: Benny / Chris Bunch
PF: Maliq Brown / Peter Carey
C: Jesse / Frank

We need 2 big-time scorers to add to that bunch, or we're toast next year.
I don't see nearly enough points in that lineup.
I havent been following the twitters or that much from this past years team outside of the games but swider led the way as the season progressed and it would be great to have him back next season but we just dont have the percentages in our favor when it comes to players coming back, so not too optimistic here but i hope im wrong! Fingers crossed!

Much better rosters have had a hard time going .500 in conference. 5-15 would be generous. The bottom of the ACC isn't that bad Wake and Miami were just there and got good quickly assuming we could add noone and be better than NC State is delusional.

We can add 3-4 very good veteran players via the portal and with the cupcake OOC schedule have a year like Miami or Wake had. Very good chance that happens.

But the flipside isn't pretty if we just get Geno Thorpe's.

There also is no upside to get a Wes Johnson and have a 2010 team. We did that a year ago with Swider coming off a Sweet 16 and it didn't work out.

Much better rosters have had a hard time going .500 in conference. 5-15 would be generous. The bottom of the ACC isn't that bad Wake and Miami were just there and got good quickly assuming we could add noone and be better than NC State is delusional.

We can add 3-4 very good veteran players via the portal and with the cupcake OOC schedule have a year like Miami or Wake had. Very good chance that happens.

But the flipside isn't pretty if we just get Geno Thorpe's.

There also is no upside to get a Wes Johnson and have a 2010 team. We did that a year ago with Swider coming off a Sweet 16 and it didn't work out.
Swider was nowhere near as good as Wes though.

Wes was already a really good college b-ball player, who left a weaker program for a much better one.

Unfortunately, Swider was a role player at a better program, and left to get more minutes and shots at a lesser program where he already knew the coaches well. Major guy punch to say that, but it’s reality.

Are you really comparing the 2010 team with this year's, and Wes Johnson with Cole Swider?

That can't be what you're saying, is it?

Are you really comparing the 2010 team with this year's, and Wes Johnson with Cole Swider?

That can't be what you're saying, is it?

Sort of. 2009 we made the Sweet 16. We ran off 2 very good players with eligibility left in Harris and Devendorf just like we lost Kadary and Quincy (even Marek had another year.) Inserted a transfer and had a great season in 2010. I think we took a similar approach after 2021 Sweet 16 to this year. This forum always gushed over Swider even when he was so so at Nova just one of the ones that got away.

2022 season did not go as well as the 2010 season. But there absolutely are similarities between the offseasons. I'm skeptical that we get 'good' transfers but I'll wait and see. Starters minutes at Syracuse are enticing to guys who have been toiling for 3-4 years at programs that have no fanbase or exposure.

Swider was nowhere near as good as Wes though.

Wes was already a really good college b-ball player, who left a weaker program for a much better one.

Unfortunately, Swider was a role player at a better program, and left to get more minutes and shots at a lesser program where he already knew the coaches well. Major guy punch to say that, but it’s reality.

True. Wes was our best player in practice his redshirt year its a shame we never saw him with Flynn.

There was a lot more talent in the program back then. Which is sort of my point people are being overly optimistic if they think they can peg whats on the roster right now for 10 ACC wins next year.

True. Wes was our best player in practice his redshirt year its a shame we never saw him with Flynn.

There was a lot more talent in the program back then. Which is sort of my point people are being overly optimistic if they think they can peg whats on the roster right now for 10 ACC wins next year.
We’ll see what we end up with.

But yeah, if the worst case scenario of Swider leaving, Mintz going elsewhere, and no good transfers coming in happens….preseason expectations will be very low IMO. We’d need one of the freshmen to be Moten, Benny to make a huge leap, and Symir to be senior Z Sims. Not to mention Joe taking another major jump in play. Seems like a lot.

Jb said that he'd got to portal "if we lose someone we didn't expect to lose". I assume Swider would qualify.

Jesse and Frank should make a strong center tandem. benny will be pushed at forward by Bunch, (whose presence spurred him to his only good game this past season). I agree we aren't ready for a Williams/Bunch tandem at forward yet and I don't know that Carey is ready to help us after 2 years off, (although Brown impressed me with his tape), so that would be the place for the portal. I think Torrence/Copeland and Girard/Taylor would be a good backcourt.

If Swider comes back, we're good.

Last edited:
7 scholarship under classmen 5 recruits plus cole and a scholarship offer to mintz equals 14. No portal unless someone leaves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom