If we accept that Swider is gone, what's the lineup? | Syracusefan.com

If we accept that Swider is gone, what's the lineup?

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
That leaves us with this rotation as of right now.

PG: Symir / Copeland / Joe G.
SG: Joe G. / Justin Taylor
SF: Benny / Chris Bunch
PF: Maliq Brown / Peter Carey
C: Jesse / Frank

We need 2 big-time scorers to add to that bunch, or we're toast next year.
I don't see nearly enough points in that lineup.

We may have the best center tandem in the ACC next year. Outside of that...

I do hope we keep them both. They both grew by leaps and bounds this past year, and between them, could dominate. Frank might even see time at one of the corner forward spots to get them both on the floor defensively against a physical team.

We have to get 2 guys in the portal.

If people say we need another PG (Mintz), then Copeland will leave because he's been recruited over before he even made it to campus. It would probably be an upgrade, but (1) would he make it to campus, and (2) would he be a good teammate, or just an NBA audition ball hog?

My preferences would not be another PG, but rather a wing who can drive and also hit the 3. Sort of a Tyus Battle / Malachi Richardson type. 6-5 or 6-6, long arms for the zone, ability to get by people and hit the open shot.

The other spot, I would look for one of those MAC or East Coast type of guys who is 6-8 240 who was a stretch 5 at his old school, but move him to PF for us. Somebody who is a grad transfer or maybe has 2 years left out of a JUCO.

Give me that dynamic wing player, and a stretch 4 who can defend and has a big body, and this could still be a very good team next year.

This question is best asked in August/September. To early and lots can happen.

That's way too late. You have to have people come to campus for the June / July summer sessions to get to know their teammates. That's plenty of time when most colleges graduate in May. JUCO guys will know more about their eligibility, and post-grad transfers will also be available after the end of the semester. If we don't get a guy until literally the week school is starting, I will be really surprised.

That forward rotation is not good enough. Hit the portal. I expect a tournament team next year. If the HC is unwilling to do that he should retire now.
If JB is unwilling to do that he won’t retire - but would ADJW feel compelled to step in? I hope so.

That team might have the same record in the ACC next year that Georgetown had in the NBE this year.

We an offer starters minutes to transfers we could get a couple decent players it wouldn't surprise me.

Benny has a long way to go to being OK let alone good enough to start for Syracuse. I don't mind giving him a chance but hes going to have competition. I think Symir will as well. I'm not really sure how good Girard is as well everyone assuming he'll be a great starting 2G might be being overly optimistic he'll be drawing bigger defenders and teams will key on him. I know that its crazy to think JB would do something other than play him 40 mins per game but I think someone could chip into his playing time.

JBA and Cole leave how many transfers can we get? 4?

Forwards are very unproven. That’s going to be huge in our success next year, if either we get a proven transfer or we get lucky that someone emerges

That's way too late. You have to have people come to campus for the June / July summer sessions to get to know their teammates. That's plenty of time when most colleges graduate in May. JUCO guys will know more about their eligibility, and post-grad transfers will also be available after the end of the semester. If we don't get a guy until literally the week school is starting, I will be really surprised.
Not gonna happen. Macs fishing and JBs golfing

We need a wing shooter who can make 3’s at a 38-40% clip, defend, and get to the bucket when necessary. It’s absolutely insane if we go into next year with Girard and Edwards as the go to guys. Another guard would be nice too.

That leaves us with this rotation as of right now.

PG: Symir / Copeland / Joe G.
SG: Joe G. / Justin Taylor
SF: Benny / Chris Bunch
PF: Maliq Brown / Peter Carey
C: Jesse / Frank

We need 2 big-time scorers to add to that bunch, or we're toast next year.
I don't see nearly enough points in that lineup.

Need a portal guard and two portal forwards if this is the case.

We cannot be reliant on this frosh class.

Sorry I meant more along the lines that by that time, a bunch of things will have happened and you will have a better view of what the team will look like. March, April, May, June...lots of time for things to happen. Gotta let whatever process that hopefully will happen, have time to take place.

We need some tough city kids. Look at St. Peters.
I wonder when the last time was that JB sat at a kids kitchen table in Baltimore NYC or Philly?

Need a portal guard and two portal forwards if this is the case.

We cannot be reliant on this frosh class.
And this highlights how far many SU fans are from the head coach's opinion. JB said as many as 2-3 freshman may start but you say we can't rely on this class. I agree on a portal guard or Mintz and at least 1 forward, 2 if Cole leaves. But we will definitely be very very reliant on this frosh class.
I see:
PG - Symir/Mintz or portal guard
SG - Girard/Taylor
SF - Taylor/Bunch/Benny - portal?
PF - Swider/Benny/Brown - portal?
C - Jesse/Frank

As others said, we still need 3 things, another PG, a dynamic SU SF, a rebounding PF. If we add 2 of those I will be content that we have enough options to fill the other spot. It seems to me based only on what I've heard from minimal reports that Copeland's defense may prevent him from contributing early. SU should NEVER worry about "recruiting over" a 3 star recruit. I would say most 3 star recruits should never expect to play at Syracuse unless they develop above their expectations. I hope Bunch is better than I am hearing also and Carey just seems like a classic hope he's good enough to help in a couple years.

And this highlights how far many SU fans are from the head coach's opinion. JB said as many as 2-3 freshman may start but you say we can't rely on this class. I agree on a portal guard or Mintz and at least 1 forward, 2 if Cole leaves. But we will definitely be very very reliant on this frosh class.
I see:
PG - Symir/Mintz or portal guard
SG - Girard/Taylor
SF - Taylor/Bunch/Benny - portal?
PF - Swider/Benny/Brown - portal?
C - Jesse/Frank

As others said, we still need 3 things, another PG, a dynamic SU SF, a rebounding PF. If we add 2 of those I will be content that we have enough options to fill the other spot. It seems to me based only on what I've heard from minimal reports that Copeland's defense may prevent him from contributing early. SU should NEVER worry about "recruiting over" a 3 star recruit. I would say most 3 star recruits should never expect to play at Syracuse unless they develop above their expectations. I hope Bunch is better than I am hearing also and Carey just seems like a classic hope he's good enough to help in a couple years.
Best class ever

Will they have enough scholarships for one guard and 2 fowards

Not sure. I can’t remember if the cut line is 2 or 3 if Cole doesn’t come back but JBA and Frank do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom