If we were to have a 9-3 type season, what | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If we were to have a 9-3 type season, what

Not many spots left in this class. 2-3 DL, 1 LB, 1 RB, 1 QB, maybe 1 more OL. Don't see much more than that. Unlikely we get up there in the team rankings because of how small a class it will be.

It will solidify the ones they have now and maybe get some off the fence taht have yet to commit as spots may be getting filled a lot more quicker than 4-8. Maybe a flip or 2? 2020 could be a doozy and 2021 if they continue to be 8 or 9+ win teams even better.

blue chip recruits might we find ourselves in the running for? Or would it be more for 2019 kids?

impossible question to answer because nobody has said, if they win I'll consider them. But if you look at the past 2 cycles, some very good prospects have popped up late and taken visits here. Knowing that we're strong late and then putting together a great season with a bowl invite I think it's almost guaranteed that we'll have a lot of late blue chip interest. I'd also wager that a lot of the interest will be from committed kids who we are trying to flip. There'll be some really good flip candidates out there.

blue chip recruits might we find ourselves in the running for? Or would it be more for 2019 kids?
Dash, with signing day being in December and kids committing earlier and earlier, a 9-3 season will basically not help for the 2019. What it will do is establish equity for 2020 and most importantly 2021 kids moving forward. The coaching staff will be able to sell results and program growth and development.

We're battling Michigan St. for DT recruit Darius Robinson. Say we play Clemson tough or even beat them. Say we're bowl eligible by the time he visits on 10/27. Will certainly help our chances. He visits SU one week after visiting Michigan St. I like that we get the final visit.

I would ask, how many "blue chip" prospects got us to 9-3? We need to evaluate the kids that want to play for SU and pick the best ones to fit our needs, system and what we value in a player whether they are 5 stars or unranked. I'm not saying I wouldn't love the #1 recruiting class in the nation, but only if Babers hand picked them for their character and ability to run the offense or defense we plan on playing.

I would ask, how many "blue chip" prospects got us to 9-3? We need to evaluate the kids that want to play for SU and pick the best ones to fit our needs, system and what we value in a player whether they are 5 stars or unranked. I'm not saying I wouldn't love the #1 recruiting class in the nation, but only if Babers hand picked them for their character and ability to run the offense or defense we plan on playing.
We are not a 9-3 team, We are not a 9-3 team...
All the assumption on top of presupposition with a guess leads us nowhere. We are debated fruit loops and fairy tales. We can only truly judge what type of team we are at the end of the season. When we have a 9-3 record we are a 9-3 team. That will only happen with better talent. Right now I don't think we are quite there. We need more talent. We have alot of tough teams to play. None are a given. None. With that said we are seeing alot of improvement with alot more to go to become a perennial 9-3 team in the ACC. Dungey goes down and we're back to 4-8 type season.

Last edited:
Repeat after me. We are not a 9-3 team, We are not a 9-3 team...
All the assumption on top of presupposition with a guess leads us nowhere. We are debated fruit loops and fairy tales. We can only truly judge what type of team we are at the end of the season. When we have a 9-3 record we are a 9-3 team. That will only happen with better talent. Right now I don't think we are quite there. We need more talent. We have alot of tough teams to play. None are a given. None. With that said we are seeing alot of improvement with alot more to go to become a perennial 9-3 team in the ACC. Dungey goes down and we're back to 4-8 type season.
So, your theory is that if Dungey goes down against Clemson, we don't win another game all year?

So, your theory is that if Dungey goes down against Clemson, we don't win another game all year?
To be honest I don't even want to entertain the thought because the possibility of going winless without Dungey isn't zero. Maybe not that far, but I do believe if he goes down in Clemson game we may struggle to win 2 more games because I also think if Devito has to play he may miss a game or important half. Then where are we. Dungey is our security blanket. Devito played well vs FSU but they may be worse than any other team on our remaining schedule.

We are not a 9-3 team, We are not a 9-3 team...
No one said we were a 9-3 team. The question was what effect that type of season would have on our recruiting this year. A lot of people posted in this thread. That was kind of the idea. Maybe get a name thrown out there by someone who studies this stuff. Which did happen. Next time you see a thread like this, ignore the thread.

No one said we were a 9-3 team. The question was what effect that type of season would have on our recruiting this year. A lot of people posted in this thread. That was kind of the idea. Maybe get a name thrown out there by someone who studies this stuff. Which did happen. Next time you see a thread like this, ignore the thread.
I didn't respond to you, you clarified what you meant. No problems with your post. I responded to the post who assumed 9-3 and who got us there rejecting the top stars. I think a good year helps us with D. Robinson hopefully Blissett re-evaluates maybe a last minute flip. A good year will help us with younger players.

I didn't respond to you, you clarified what you meant. No problems with your post. I responded to the post who assumed 9-3 and who got us there rejecting the top stars. I think a good year helps us with D. Robinson hopefully Blissett re-evaluates maybe a last minute flip. A good year will help us with younger players.
It’s all hypothetical. If we hypothetically made it to 9-3 then I would remind people that it wasn’t 4-5 star recruits that got us there. And I said that I would love the top recruiting class in the nation, but I’m not interested in chasing ranked players. I just want the best players we can get that fit our plan regardless of their “blue chip” status.

I did answer your question. The obvious answer to winning more games and going and winning bowl games we will be able to successfully recruit better players. It's kinda obvious. Specifically who?
Who knows signing day is way off..
I didn't get the memo that Sports forums are for rampant future speculation now?
If we go 12-0 will we win the national championship?
If Eric Dungey wins the Heisman will he be a 1st round draft pick?
If we lose the rest of our games will we be able to improve our recruiting?
If we have an 8-4 season how will our recruits be different than if we go 9-3.
Unless SU goes undefeated, Dungy has zero Heisman chance.

It’s all hypothetical. If we hypothetically made it to 9-3 then I would remind people that it wasn’t 4-5 star recruits that got us there. And I said that I would love the top recruiting class in the nation, but I’m not interested in chasing ranked players. I just want the best players we can get that fit our plan regardless of their “blue chip” status.
If this is all hypothetical then I think its overblown the concept of 'fitting our plan'. 95% of all great HS players can 'fit our plan'. Its a cliche for those schools who can't recruit well. We need to recruit better to be a perennial 9-3 team. We won't be 9-3 this year. Since there are so few 4-5 star recruits if we replace 4-5 2 stars with 4 stars, get better and bigger 3 stars and win alot of recruiting battles against our peer schools, 9-3 years won't be out of the way of being normal. Just saying all this hypothetical feel good outcomes are so far from reality at this point in our program. Been going to games for 25+ yrs and I see the tide changing with athletes that at least look like D1 Football players. The thing about maintaining status in D1 football is the continuous top recruiting can't end , can't slow down. We need wins to result in recruiting wins which get football wins and so on and so on and so......

If this is all hypothetical then I think its overblown the concept of 'fitting our plan'. 95% of all great HS players can 'fit our plan'. Its a cliche for those schools who can't recruit well. We need to recruit better to be a perennial 9-3 team. We won't be 9-3 this year. Since there are so few 4-5 star recruits if we replace 4-5 2 stars with 4 stars, get better and bigger 3 stars and win alot of recruiting battles against our peer schools, 9-3 years won't be out of the way of being normal. Just saying all this hypothetical feel good outcomes are so far from reality at this point in our program. Been going to games for 25+ yrs and I see the tide changing with athletes that at least look like D1 Football players. The thing about maintaining status in D1 football is the continuous top recruiting can't end , can't slow down. We need wins to result in recruiting wins which get football wins and so on and so on and so...
The whole point of this thread is “If we have a 9-3 type season...”.

And I’ll just agree to disagree with your other points.

To be honest I don't even want to entertain the thought because the possibility of going winless without Dungey isn't zero. Maybe not that far, but I do believe if he goes down in Clemson game we may struggle to win 2 more games because I also think if Devito has to play he may miss a game or important half. Then where are we. Dungey is our security blanket. Devito played well vs FSU but they may be worse than any other team on our remaining schedule.
With the new rule, Amie would be available for 4 games.

The whole point of this thread is “If we have a 9-3 type season...”.

And I’ll just agree to disagree with your other points.
So you think we will become a perennial 9-3 team without recruiting better players. How does this happen? Osmosis?

So you think we will become a perennial 9-3 team without recruiting better players. How does this happen? Osmosis?
I don't subscribe to the belief that the only good players are 4-5 star recruits.

Babers' evaluation of players and coaching will have gotten us to the "hypothetical" 9-3 season this thread is based on. I believe that this success (should it happen) will help us win some recruiting battles that Babers may not have won otherwise. Eventually, it would be great if Dino was picking between 4 and 5 star players BUT I am more interested in who Babers offers a scholarship to, than who some website has awarded more remote incandescent bodies to.

I don't subscribe to the belief that the only good players are 4-5 star recruits.

Babers' evaluation of players and coaching will have gotten us to the "hypothetical" 9-3 season this thread is based on. I believe that this success (should it happen) will help us win some recruiting battles that Babers may not have won otherwise. Eventually, it would be great if Dino was picking between 4 and 5 star players BUT I am more interested in who Babers offers a scholarship to, than who some website has awarded more remote incandescent bodies to.
Babers offers alot of players that turn us down. You didn't quite answer the question and got out of it by saying this team is magically a 9-3 team because we hypothetically said it is. No one said 4-5 stars. Better players who have better offers. Truth be told, even Dino would say yes anonymously.

But the kids with 10-20 D1 offers are better players than the kids with 1-3 D1 offers... And when we start getting those kids we start winning more games.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom