If you could be the best at any sport… | Syracusefan.com

If you could be the best at any sport…

Zelda Zonk

2022 Iggy Winner: ACC Tourney Record
Name the sport, the team if applicable, the era, your number, and a brief rationale for your choice.

[Not asking which real life/history career you would want to have experienced. So, don’t say ‘I want to have been Joe Montana in 1982.’ You’re you in this scenario. But, that doesn’t mean if you are rocking three hundred pounds that you can’t answer ‘Secretariat’s jockey.’ Got it? Go.]

I want to be a perennial top 10 golfer on the pga tour. Phluck the Saudi tour.

Making millions, flying private jets into tourneys. No CTE, no torn ACL’s. No pressure from some front office. Independent contractor. And I would love being on Ryder cup every couple years. Yes this is definitely my answer.

Oh and Paige spiranac would be my traveling “coach”

After watching the F1 series on Netflix, maybe that. See literally the whole world, make a ton of money.

After watching the F1 series on Netflix, maybe that. See literally the whole world, make a ton of money.
That’s where I am. Formula 1 would be possibly the most thrilling, but also the most dangerous. Being the best doesn’t mean you’re safer. The technology is so much better now than it was in the 90s, but Ayrton Senna was ‘the best’ and he does on the track. Same with my favorite driver in CART, Greg Moore….

My other answer is tennis.

With both sports, it’s an international thing—see the world in all its flavors. And F1 and tennis guys have the hottest ladies, so there’s that. With F1, you’d also have to have the best car or you don‘t win championships, but with tennis, there’s no team situation you need to rely on for support to win.

So, if F1, I’d probably drive for McLaren, circa 1996 in the era of those engines that sounded so incredible, driving against Michael Schumacher. Car number would be 44, of course. Orange helmet.

Basketball wearing my favorite number 21 for the Knicks of course. It’s my favorite sport to play and watch.

Last edited:
A wily left-handed twirler for the small market Pirates who become a perennial WS winner. A regular 20-game winner who pitches complete games and has a winning pct. of .800. Not a strike out artist. More of a junk ball pitcher who pitches every 5th day. The other 4 days I'm an extroverted Zen master. In the off season I host a Food Network show called "Naked Chefs (and the diners who love them)."

Making millions, flying private jets into tourneys. No CTE, no torn ACL’s. No pressure from some front office. Independent contractor. And I would love being on Ryder cup every couple years. Yes this is definitely my answer.

And your career would last 20+ years.

Without a doubt. But instead of Paige, I would be married to Paulina Gretzky.