If you look at the offensiive coordinators for basically the | Syracusefan.com

If you look at the offensiive coordinators for basically the

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
best offenses in college football. Ok St, Baylor, Oregon, etc I doubt you find one with any relevant NFL experience, the NFL ruins college coaches from an offensive perspective... It such a sqaure peg round hole scenario

Charlie Weiss, Kiffin, are the only ones that I can think of, maybe Mike Sherman still calls plays but there we have the talent needed that we have discussed.

I know we have the right HC but know we have the wrong OC as well

best offenses in college football. Ok St, Baylor, Oregon, etc I doubt you find one with any relevant NFL experience, the NFL ruins college coaches from an offensive perspective... It such a sqaure peg round hole scenario

Charlie Weiss, Kiffin, are the only ones that I can think of, maybe Mike Sherman still calls plays but there we have the talent needed that we have discussed.

Well what about June Jones? I agree with your general statement though. Also I do not think we need a passing O. I would love RRod's running Spread. Or Paul Johnson's option teams. It is about NFL vs College style. I think in the NFL the more complex the system the better the O. In CFB the less complex the better. It is about simplifying things. Unless of course you have great players then it doesn't matter.

Everyone complained about the NFL mentality with GRob and his staff. Did we do it again? One thing about both Mac's and P's staffs is that they were all college guys...until they left SU and moved to the NFL.

Everyone complained about the NFL mentality with GRob and his staff. Did we do it again? One thing about both Mac's and P's staffs is that they were all college guys...until they left SU and moved to the NFL.

I think with regard the offense, yes we have done it again. No disputing that but then again many here wanted Locksley as the HC:rolling:

He just needs to switch gears and give up on the NFL scheme, like I said its been 10 years and he should know that by now

Well what about June Jones? I agree with your general statement though. Also I do not think we need a passing O. I would love RRod's running Spread. Or Paul Johnson's option teams. It is about NFL vs College style. I think in the NFL the more complex the system the better the O. In CFB the less complex the better. It is about simplifying things. Unless of course you have great players then it doesn't matter.

I agree, we just need a guy without some 500 page playbook and the need for Drew Brees as your QB. I think a guy like Johnson made an immediate impact at GT as has Holgerson at WVU, you just need the right coach at the right system, but really you just need the system. WE need an OC that brings his system because Doug's will never work here, it just won't with our recruiting. I think with what he have at QB after Nassib he will be forced to change regardless, too much athleticism with Kinder, Broyld, Hunt to make them west coast slant passers

I agree, we just need a guy without some 500 page playbook and the need for Drew Brees as your QB. I think a guy like Johnson made an immediate impact at GT as has Holgerson at WVU, you just need the right coach at the right system, but really you just need the system. WE need an OC that brings his system because Doug's will never work here, it just won't with our recruiting. I think with what he have at QB after Nassib he will be forced to change regardless, too much athleticism with Kinder, Broyld, Hunt to make them west coast slant passers
IB you make some good points. You should call in to DM's show and offer your suggestions. Also bring up about a ST's coach too.

NFL is more field position game and try and avoid turnovers which I think is exactly what we're seeing. What we all HOPE to be seeing is wide open, score points by any means, turnovers be damned. Personally I'd rather an INT on 3rd down be on a 40 yard pass down the field as it's a net wash vs punting and at least has a chance to succeed.

IB you make some good points. You should call in to DM's show and offer your suggestions. Also bring up about a ST's coach too.

Coaches don't give real answers to questions anymore, especially old NFL coaches, these guys all think the game is so difficult and tough to comprehend it helps them create excuses for poor play and bad decisions; ie poor job performance. It's group think and they all think its the way to go about things. It helps them justify their big salaries, Leach and Bellicheck are a the only coaches that I have read about that I think have much higher than average intelligence. ( Granted I haven't read about every coach so I am sure there are more out there)

jones ran a college offense in the NFL. they're the exception. college passing attacks (run and shoot, air raid type) can work in the nfl better than nfl (west coast type) passing attacks can work in college

We play in a Dome. It's time to stop ignoring that fact. Therefore, yes, we need a passing offense.

We play in a Dome. It's time to stop ignoring that fact. Therefore, yes, we need a passing offense.
Yup...and we are a Northeast team playing in a dome...it should be used as an attraction to lure WRs and QBs in the northeast and the offense should be pass more than run

The Dome's greatest advantage is the noise. The type of O we run gives us no advantage over our opponents. Kids want to play in a fun O. Doesn't matter if it is pass or run. A HS QB isn't going to come to SU over WV because we play indoors.

The Dome's greatest advantage is the noise. The type of O we run gives us no advantage over our opponents. Kids want to play in a fun O. Doesn't matter if it is pass or run. A HS QB isn't going to come to SU over WV because we play indoors.
silly bunch of assertions there.

other northeast teams playing in bad wet weather won't have as much success throwing. we can either do the same thing as them and compete for recruits with "hey the dome is noisy" or we can offer good qbs and WRs more opportunity to do their thing in ideal conditions much more of the time.

silly bunch of assertions there.

other northeast teams playing in bad wet weather won't have as much success throwing. we can either do the same thing as them and compete for recruits with "hey the dome is noisy" or we can offer good qbs and WRs more opportunity to do their thing in ideal conditions much more of the time.

CFB is over by TG. The weather really is not a factor in games. Maybe it effects one game a year if that. Not to mention a lot of these passing Os use short passes. So even wind isn't much of a factor. Not a big deal playing indoors. This isn't the NFL were games go into January. Cincy was able to have a passing O no problem and get to the BCS. WV now has a passing O guru. Pitt just brought in a guy who has had passing Os as well. All three will be successful throwing it. Just being in a Dome won't get kids here over those three schools.

The other advantage to the Dome is speed. We need to have a fast O. But as the old WV teams showed when they came to play SU, you can have a fast high scoring O by running it.

CFB is over by TG. The weather really is not a factor in games. Maybe it effects one game a year if that. Not to mention a lot of these passing Os use short passes. So even wind isn't much of a factor. Not a big deal playing indoors. This isn't the NFL were games go into January. Cincy was able to have a passing O no problem and get to the BCS. WV now has a passing O guru. Pitt just brought in a guy who has had passing Os as well. All three will be successful throwing it. Just being in a Dome won't get kids here over those three schools.

The other advantage to the Dome is speed. We need to have a fast O. But as the old WV teams showed when they came to play SU, you can have a fast high scoring O by running it.
aye yi yi

no teams outside are able to throw the ball. there aren't that many domes around. dome teams could throw even more. it's not like you need to be the only team that throws the ball to have a differentiating recruiting advantage. PSU, UConn, BC, Rutgers - fall rain affects them plenty

aye yi yi

no teams outside are able to throw the ball. there aren't that many domes around. dome teams could throw even more. it's not like you need to be the only team that throws the ball to have a differentiating recruiting advantage. PSU, UConn, BC, Rutgers - fall rain affects them plenty

I think you are over stating the draw to a QB recruit. A kid will pick WV over SU because of Holgerson. A kid will pick PSU over SU because they are PSU. A kid will pick BC over SU because BC is where kids who can't get into ND go. A kid will pick Pitt because he is from WPA and wants to stay there. All those factors trump the Dome. It would help us over teams like UConn and RU, but those are bottom of the barrel guys anyway.

I think you are over stating the draw to a QB recruit. A kid will pick WV over SU because of Holgerson. A kid will pick PSU over SU because they are PSU. A kid will pick BC over SU because BC is where kids who can't get into ND go. A kid will pick Pitt because he is from WPA and wants to stay there. All those factors trump the Dome. It would help us over teams like UConn and RU, but those are bottom of the barrel guys anyway.
you are the king of waving things away. where do you want to recruit then?

The Dome's greatest advantage is the noise.
Not when you can't fill it because the good people of Central New York are smart enough to not waste their time and money on watching boring offensive football.

you are the king of waving things away. where do you want to recruit then?

I am more than happy having a Leach disciple here. I just don't think having a Dome gives us a recruiting advantage. The Dome gives us a fast track. We need to recruit players who are fast to take advantage, meaning a fast paced O. It can be like RRod's running O or it can be like Leach's passing O. What we don't need is an O that is 3 yards and a cloud of dust. That would be wasting that fast track.

Not when you can't fill it because the good people of Central New York are smart enough to not waste their time and money on watching boring offensive football.

I agree about boring O FB. But running does not equal boring. The old SU O's were not boring. The GA Tech O is not boring. The RRod WV Os were not boring. And passing does not equal exciting. A WCO with a lot of dinks and dunks is awful to watch. What SU needs is an exciting college O that uses speed. Doesn't matter if run or pass based.

The Dome...I still wonder if artificial turf is a negative when it comes to recruiting?

I would like to see our guys in the same offensive system for 4-5 years before we start changing it up if it is still not working by then. Can you imagine if at work if your bosses changed things every year how f@ck up things would be?

I agree about boring O FB. But running does not equal boring. The old SU O's were not boring. The GA Tech O is not boring. The RRod WV Os were not boring. And passing does not equal exciting. A WCO with a lot of dinks and dunks is awful to watch. What SU needs is an exciting college O that uses speed. Doesn't matter if run or pass based.

Agree 100% doesn't need to be passing offense, just productive and somewhat explosive at times with big plays, Oregon and GT run tha ball a lot obviously. I just heard Tedford frpm Cal say that Oregon runs about 25 plays, that doesn't sound too terribly difficult but is the excecution and the pace that they run it at.

What makes Johnson's O exciting is the pace, the big plays and the fact that he is a risk taker with an option offense

Power Football beats Finesse every Time. Marrone overthinks the Game , 4th and inches and Kicks? How do the kids feel about that? Enough of these throw to the sideline laterals and hope the receiver can beat his man,Throw the Ball down Field more than 7 yds. Marrone has to show confidence in his team.