If you were Battle’s advisor | Syracusefan.com

If you were Battle’s advisor

GooseMutt

All Conference
what would you say? Obviously a trip without an agent to the combine is automatic. But if they suggest he may go late first round or early second should he? What is his 2019 draft potential? Is sharing the limelight with Oshae and Darius too threatening? Our chances for a national championship with him is very feasible but not guaranteed. Would we possibly have 3 lottery picks in one draft? Makes me dizzy

what would you say? Obviously a trip without an agent to the combine is automatic. But if they suggest he may go late first round or early second should he? What is his 2019 draft potential? Is sharing the limelight with Oshae and Darius too threatening? Our chances for a national championship with him is very feasible but not guaranteed. Would we possibly have 3 lottery picks in one draft? Makes me dizzy

I think you're on the money here. I'd say spend the summer working on your 3 point shooting, including moving back from the line (which he struggles at), and come back for another year playing a more traditional 2G role. Excellent shooting combined with his driving ability will move him up the draft board quickly.

Combine, see how to goes. There are a lot of good players in this draft class. Coming back could help.

what would you say? Obviously a trip without an agent to the combine is automatic. But if they suggest he may go late first round or early second should he? What is his 2019 draft potential?

If he feels he can get drafted he should go. Work full time on his game (especially shooting) without any restrictions or distractions. Play in the G-League and work hard. This tournament run is the best thing for him career wise, and there are no guarantees we won't flame out next year.

He needs to go... with the talent coming in next year along with the other returners he won't have the opportunity to be the same high usage rate player he was this year (hopefully). Additionally I don't think JB's offensive strategy, or lack thereof, is going to help Battle get ready for the pros. If he comes back another year it will just give teams another year to find new weaknesses and potentially get hurt.

What he ought to do is to get a clear-eyed assessment and that’s always a difficult thing to get.

My observation is that players who are not good students and who don’t enjoy college are always going to jump. They put great weight on people telling them what they want to hear.

Battle is, apparently, a good student in a good major. So he does have a choice and he can listen with with a critical ear.

He’s a great athlete and he is mentally and physically tough. But he’s not a finished product. He can do that in college or somewhere else. If he’s happy where he is, than I think there's a good chance he will come back.

In my mind unless he gets the feedback that he's not a contender, he stays in. Just think his metrics will be pretty good and he's already had a serious injury in high school that will motivate a departure.

What he ought to do is to get a clear-eyed assessment and that’s always a difficult thing to get.

My observation is that players who are not good students and who don’t enjoy college are always going to jump. They put great weight on people telling them what they want to hear.

Battle is, apparently, a good student in a good major. So he does have a choice and he can listen with with a critical ear.

He’s a great athlete and he is mentally and physically tough. But he’s not a finished product. He can do that in college or somewhere else. If he’s happy where he is, than I think there's a good chance he will come back.

i think this is right. I will add i heard he's actually a real student and taking school seriously. that to me tells me it's not 100% def he's leaving.

If you want to play professionally, try the combine but keep every option open. And take Boeheim's advice - he knows what he's talking about.

If, as expected, the first-round looks unlikely, stick it out with school. A second-round spot (or falling out entirely) could seriously jeopardize your financial future. You're in the iSchool, you're obviously smart, so that's probably your long-term career future. Try another year, give the combine another shot, and if an NBA contract looks likely, bonus. If not, Europe will be fun for a few years and then you'll have some nice stability and a real degree and career possibility to fall back on.